You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

RM Outback
23 March 2020 12:03 pm

goldtrapper wrote:

Started using the plastic ones in the late 80's after doing 10+ hour trips at night from Sydney to Cobar/Booligal. Had heaps of near misses and a few hits. Put them on and never hit one, still had to slow for a couple but didn't hit any. I don't know if anyone drove the Booligal to Cobar road back then but in some places the Roos were every 50m for km after km.

Yeah cleaned up 8 just out of Cobar heading south one night towing a trailer behind the MQ shorty. 2 lots in the space of about 100 metres right on dusk and didn't see them until they were in front which accounted for 6 and another 2 about 50k's down the road. Only damage was the exhaust separated at the muffler and the trailer plug was ripped off, fortunately had another plug/ tools to sort the exhaust to get home. The shooy things are for those who have had a good experience or those who like the idea, no right or wrong at the end of the day.

blisters
23 March 2020 05:52 pm

Helen Bender from Melbourne uni researched and showed these don't work in her thesis. Shu Roo has not provided any research of their own to show it does work which says it all. They rely on anecdotal evidence to keep selling them.

The Shu Roo was found to be inaudible over the noise of a vehicle at 50m (not advertised 400m), is not targeted at the sensitive part of the kangaroo hearing frequencies and made no difference to the behaviour of kangaroos in static tests.

Note that the sound from a Shu Roo does not travel faster than the sound from your car.

To quote the research:

"The ineffectiveness of the Shu Roo should caution people against using other ultrasonic deterrent devices, at least for kangaroos."

Here's a link:

http://hdl.handle.net/11343/38945

You don't see Shu Roo or others backing up their claims with 170 odd pages of research.

Save your money.

3 users like this post: RM Outback, madtuna, Eluvial

just starting
23 March 2020 08:40 pm

Been to Booligal, Cobar and around Nyngan , Giralambone and Ford`s Bridge in the late 80`s and they were everywhere. Didn`t have a bullbar or any type of shoo roos and came home with bent guards ,grills and broken spotlights and punctured tyres.

Is the Booligal / Cobar road the one with all the causeway and floodway signs every couple of miles ?

mudgee hunter
23 March 2020 08:56 pm

What's the go with new bull bar designs hugging closely the the vehicle!
Bloody waste of time!
25mm gaps are a joke!
150mm air gap on a steel bar minimum!
Too many people worried abouts looks than sense!

Member of the "Banker Gang"

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

goldtrapper
23 March 2020 09:08 pm

just starting wrote:

Been to Booligal, Cobar and around Nyngan , Giralambone and Ford`s Bridge in the late 80`s and they were everywhere. Didn`t have a bullbar or any type of shoo roos and came home with bent guards ,grills and broken spotlights and punctured tyres.

Is the Booligal / Cobar road the one with all the causeway and floodway signs every couple of miles ?

I think so, was a long time ago, went through two one horse towns as well if I remember.

1 user likes this post: just starting

just starting
23 March 2020 09:09 pm

Agreed . Too close and the bullbar can damage the car with a decent hit instead of protecting it.

Rockhunter62
23 March 2020 09:34 pm

Back in about 1991 I drove my swb cruiser from Adelaide to Broken Hill to Burren Junction (NSW) back thru Mildura to Adelaide over 4 days. I had a big steel bullbar fitted and I was towing a 6x4 trailer and drove both day and night.
Over the 4 days I hit 13 roos. About every 3 or 4 I would have to stop and realign the bull lights as the sudden jolt of hitting the roos put them out of alignment. The only damage that was done was from the last roo that missed the cruiser and hit the trailer. Pushed a mudguard onto the tyre and blew the tyre.
Would Shoo Roos have worked? Doubt it.

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

4 users like this post: madtuna, Eluvial, sand surfer, RM Outback

goldtrapper
23 March 2020 10:03 pm

Rockhunter62 wrote:

Back in about 1991 I drove my swb cruiser from Adelaide to Broken Hill to Burren Junction (NSW) back thru Mildura to Adelaide over 4 days. I had a big steel bullbar fitted and I was towing a 6x4 trailer and drove both day and night.
Over the 4 days I hit 13 roos. About every 3 or 4 I would have to stop and realign the bull lights as the sudden jolt of hitting the roos put them out of alignment. The only damage that was done was from the last roo that missed the cruiser and hit the trailer. Pushed a mudguard onto the tyre and blew the tyre.

Cheers

Doug

Well Doug If you had read previous users experience and not cafe latte sipping scientists "evidence" you would have found they do work.

Eluvial
23 March 2020 10:56 pm

I've got to agree with the cafe latte sipping scientists, they don't work for shite... thumbsdown

Gotta do the miles to get the smiles...

3 users like this post: madtuna, RM Outback, goody2shoes

Rockhunter62
23 March 2020 11:18 pm

goldtrapper wrote:
Rockhunter62 wrote:

Cheers

Doug

Well Doug If you had read previous users experience and not cafe latte sipping scientists "evidence" you would have found they do work.

What, would you want me to put them on the trailer? The land cruiser suffered no damage what so ever so why worry? The poor old kangaroos had been dead for 14 years by the time that report came out. If you were around 29 years ago you could of told me to buy some shoo roos just so those roos could of stayed alive and over populate the country side. lol lol lol

Cheers

Doug

Forest Gump once said "life is like a detector going beep, you don't know what it is till you dig it up"

1 user likes this post: sand surfer

Zyka
24 March 2020 10:41 am

This seems to be a popular subject and each to their own. But like i said: in my opinion, they don't work. I understand that a lot of you guys stopped hitting the roos after installing these things, but considering i NEVER hit one before installing them even after driving through everywhere from the sandover to tom price, im 100% sure they just dont work.

Latte sipping scientists may be just that, but they get their information from everyday people like you and i. and without these latte sippers, we would not have access to some great resources such as the DNMR and GeoRes, nor equipment such as our tried and tested gold detectors. so bearing that in mind, im going to trust these guys about their findings in the same way i dont need to go into space to believe that the earth is round. wink

Zyka
24 March 2020 10:48 am

think of it this way- if you go out to your favorite spot and take samples in one very small area and dont find any gold, that doesnt mean there is no gold anywhere else in that area. (good) scientific studies follow this same policy. sample different places and then compile the data to create an overall picture of the study. its impossible to sample every case the same way its impossible to check every square cm of dirt down to the bedrock in a whole area, so we have to used data projection to build a picture of our report, be that one for a mineralogical survey of an area or a report on the effectiveness of sonic repellent devices.

Nightjar
24 March 2020 10:51 am

Zyka wrote:

so bearing that in mind, im going to trust these guys about their findings in the same way i dont need to go into space to believe that the earth is round. wink

You're in for a surprise Zyka, the earth is as flat as an open Corona in the fridge all night....... lol tongue

Happy Hunting, Nightjar.

2 users like this post: LoneWolf, goody2shoes

Zyka
24 March 2020 11:01 am

Nightjar wrote:
Zyka wrote:

so bearing that in mind, im going to trust these guys about their findings in the same way i dont need to go into space to believe that the earth is round. wink

You're in for a surprise Zyka, the earth is as flat as an open Corona in the fridge all night....... lol tongue

lol lol well then, disregard everything i just said!

Wally69
24 March 2020 04:37 pm

From the archives......... fitted some to my minelab once but they did nothing to scare the Roos away playful

1585028203_db15bdf7-b722-4403-9c34-0186b0129b1f.jpg

4 users like this post: LoneWolf, RM Outback, goody2shoes, blisters

LoneWolf
24 March 2020 06:04 pm

And?..... Did they work?... smile

LW...

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

blisters
25 March 2020 02:13 am

I had a quick look at the Shu Roo site and lo and behold they actually responded to Helen Bender's thesis. Just to clarify, a PHD takes 3 years so Helen Bender is a person who has put a lot of critical thinking into their work under experienced supervision and their work is peer reviewed by accomplished scientists before accepted for publication.

In contrast, there has been no evidence provided by Shu Roo to rebutt the findings in Bender's thesis. Bender's thesis is named "Auditory stimuli as a method to deter kangaroos in agricultural and road environments".

Here is the response by Shu Roo:

http://shuroo.com.au/wp-content/uploads … o_Work.pdf

I don't like people taking others for a ride so I'll get back to this response in due course when I reread Bender's thesis but here is the problem right from the onset at the top of Shu Roos response. Shu Roo quote an extract from Bender's thesis I assume, with the intention to seed doubt by cherry picking and alteration in order to undermine Bender's findings:

'“The report is flawed...consequently caution should be taken in interpreting the results and extrapolating the findings reported here...” –Extract from Page 63 of Effectiveness of the ShuRoo by Helena Bender.'

Shu Roo follow this up with:

"Once you admit this flaw, then what possible weight, scientific or otherwise, can be put behind the findings?"

This is incorrect and misleading. The word "flawed" does not even exist in the thesis. What the quote actually says on page 63 is this, which is a standard disclaimer in research and a possible limitation rather than a flaw:

"A flaw of this study was to test only one Shu Roo. It is possible that this device was faulty; consequently, caution should be taken in interpreting the results and extrapolating the findings reported here. Future studies should test multiple units including subsequent Shu Roo models."

So the real question is whether the unit used for the controlled experiments was operating as designed or faulty. Bender has provided the methodology used to study the operation of the Shu Roo and the recorded results. For example, the transmitted frequencies and signal strength of the Shu Roo at various distances. This has not been disputed by Shu Roo.

Shu Roo could easily have stated in their response that the Shu Roo Bender used was not operating correctly as designed based on the readings Bender observed however, it can also easily be proved it was. That absence by Shu Roo is very telling.

Consequently unless shown otherwise by Shu Roo, the Shu Roo used by Bender in their thesis must be operating as designed and the results valid.

Also on page 63 as measured by Bender:

"The Shu Roo signal cannot be detected at any distance above the road and engine noise generated by a moving vehicle"

This is also not in dispute by Shu Roo.

goldtrapper
25 March 2020 08:41 am

I don't give a bugger what any of them say in my experience they have worked for me.
My Mates Nan swerved to miss a Roo at Hay in the 80's and the NRMA didn't want to cough up. They sent an assessor out as they didn't believe the huge amount of claims for roo damage from such a small place was legit.
Well when the assessors vehicle was written off by a roo out there claims were paid no probs. cry

3 users like this post: Gem in I, LoneWolf, pinfire opals

savage bitter
25 March 2020 11:43 pm

go to the panel beaters out my way and sho roos fitted to most of the smashed cars from hitting roos they dont work the only thing to do is not drive at night or get a real bull bar not the look at me crap they fit to most cars which are only for show hit a trolly at the shop and you can bend you cheap bullbar.

Ded Driver
26 March 2020 12:57 am

This thread has taken on an interesting see-saw.
The fact still remains, if you have whistles, & write your vehicle off on one roo, you still don't know if you didn't hit 1, or 6 others before it!
Other than the $30-35 for a set, its of no inconvenience to have them on your bar. Cheap insurance, for what might, or might not be.
It's no big deal, each to their own.

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

blisters
26 March 2020 08:06 pm

Spot on Ded but in the case of Shu Roo it's big bucks for some people. I haven't hit a roo for 25+ years now and put it down to a change in the way I used to drive, luck and odds. If I fitted a Shu Roo 25 years ago it would look like it did work but you'd never know so that fact cannot be relied on to say it does.

Jaros
27 March 2020 10:03 am

I have 2 on the bullbar -to keep the car in balance wink and lose one or both everytime I get the Pathy washed. sad sad

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

LoneWolf
27 March 2020 01:00 pm

Jaros wrote:

I have 2 on the bullbar -to keep the car in balance wink and lose one or both everytime I get the Pathy washed. sad sad

Dismantle them and screw the mount on your bar then re-assemble them... Haven't lost one yet... wink I only use the Metal ones... (Lion Brand)..

LW...

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Union Proud and Union Strong... A.M.W.U Active Member....

1 user likes this post: Ded Driver

Jaros
27 March 2020 02:42 pm

I have never hit one but jeez' a lot of close calls-stupid damn animals.
https://abigpeacheyadventure.com.au/kangaroo-whistles/

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

Ded Driver
29 March 2020 01:40 pm

sometime in the future we will have infra-red animal sensing laser blasting evaporators on our bull bars koala bomb
A few pedestrians & cyclists might go missing, but hey, collateral damage cool

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site