Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
might also be partly because the Vanquish is coming, & they cant keep manufacturing all the models they have. Something has to go ... probably the X-terra range as well, given the Equinox easily exceeds it, & if the Vanquish sits in just below the EQ600.
Would of thought the 4500 has a bit left in it yet tho

Was going to buy a 4500 , will hang off and see what transpires , guess will have to wait and see

Vanquish is to replace the Xterra range , Xterra been out since 2005 .since the Equinox is a success with multi frequency .

2008 Minelab turnover was 40 million , last financial turnover was 160 million

80% of Minelabs business is now outside Australia , as mentioned its all about profits these days .

The GPX4500 was previously discontinued then re-released.
As far as I knew there was always going to be an end date for it again & the re-released version has actually sold for a lot longer than I thought Minelab would run it (likely sales driven as it's been very popular).
If Minelab do discontinue it again I wouldn't read too much into it. It was never re-released to compete with or replace their flagship PI GPX5000.
I don't understand why people think that the GPX4500 is a better detector (& I own one). A GPX5000 can do everything a 4500 can do + more - the lower price is it's biggest drawcard.

mbasko said:
I don't understand why people think that the GPX4500 is a better detector (& I own one). A GPX5000 can do everything a 4500 can do + more - the lower price is it's biggest drawcard.

I agree totally. I have a 4500 and if I had had the cash at the time I would have got a 5000. It is better than the 4500 on all the tests I have done.
And don't get me started on the people that say the 4500 is better than the 7000....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

When I was looking at 4500's I found that most of the used ones were only 500 to 600 shy of a new one. Central West prospecting at the time had the best deals by far. Have peace of mind and go for a new one unless the used GPX still has warranty. :D

Official confirmation from ML

- GPX 4500 to be discontinued.....

- SDC 2300 price to go up around $300

- GM1000 Gold Monster price to go up also

Hello together,

so trip to WA is coming closer and also the final choice which combo i wanna buy at Reeds in Perth. In first i thought a GPX 5000 would be the best choice, but i think for me the GPX 4500 is enough, because i will not prospect every day in a season.

I would be glad to get some experience from the old rabbits ;). The included standard 11" Mono and DD Coil seems to be not enough so i want to get a third coil, like the NF 14x9 Evo or NF 17x13 Evo, also Coiltek 17x11 Elite should be possible variant.

What would be your advise ? Has anyone a similiar combo and what are your experience with it. What are pro and cons between them ? Or would you advise a complete different combo and why ?

Thanks in advance for your help to make this decision.

Marc

Hi Marc,

depends on what you plan to do, hit old workings or step it out patch hunting or both.

The stock 11" mono is a brilliant general purpose coil as is the 11"DD if hitting noisey including salty areas if the mono is whining like a pom taking a bath and you can't tame it. The NF 17 x 13 Evo you could pretty much strap on and leave on, good for both patch hunting plus will nail most of the little skeg bits around workings.

Me? what ever I got would be spoked and round. Patch hunting I love a good spoked 18" NF advantage.

@Old Hand, yes i read about it and will try my best to get one when i arrive in 12 days at WA

@Nightjar, the 11" DD is included in this package at Reeds so i will get both 11" Commander Coils, it`s my kick off in gold prospecting. Doing some coin and relic hunting here in europe since a while

@Madtuna thank you for your tip

steelPHASE said:
mbasko said:

I agree totally. I have a 4500 and if I had had the cash at the time I would have got a 5000. It is better than the 4500 on all the tests I have done.
And don't get me started on the people that say the 4500 is better than the 7000....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm trying to get confirmation on this as it pertains to WA. Read a few posts that the 5000 struggles in laterite country and the 4500 doesn't.

Historically Minelab have discontinued models after a period of time, nothing new here.
You will still be able to have the 4500's serviced for some years to come.

Finally i changed my mind and ordered now the SDC with 14 x 9 coiltek coil, to get the first experience in WA for gold prospecting. Think this is a good start for the first 3 weeks trip.
I also saw there is a developing for a mod which makes it possible to run also NF coils on it.

If everything runs good and i will be infected i can buy additionally the GPX 5000 in may next year too. So i have a wider variety.

Latest posts