Wee Jasper information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day guys I'm currently planning camping trip for Australia Day long weekend and so far looks like we might head to wee jasper, does any body have any info they're willing to share on the area, keen to do at least a day of fossiking for either gold or gems and also a few fun things for the kids.
Cheers

gems will be your friend !

i was down there for new years, at micalong, so much buried crap (bottle tops ring pulls and tent pegs) my 5000 went of it's tits, even in full cancel discrimination mode 8.(

i was talking to a local and he said there are sapphires and the like in the creek around billy grace reserve, just out of jasper, but had never heard of gold !

hope this helps ;)

Thanks doctor, did you find anything other than trash? Coins maybe? I'll most likely aim at a few sapphires if I can
Cheers

Digginholes said:
Thanks doctor, did you find anything other than trash? Coins maybe? I'll most likely aim at a few sapphires if I can
Cheers

no i didn't, but i forgot to add bullets , lot's of bullets, tried to find the ol'homestead at the dunnies at micalong for coins, but to much crap and way to many people to concentrate on the hunt

I have heaps of bullets from hill end lol I don't mind digging them up, gives me something to collect while I'm waiting to find my first nugget lol not a big fan of detecting places with a lot of people around either

Hi all,

I was thinking of heading out to Wee Jasper to dig for some sapphires. Looking at checking out the opposite side of the road from the spot where people normally go there as I believe that area is currently closed to fossicking.

I have heard the blackberries can be really bad there and I will have my 9 and 6 year old boys with me.

Are there any alternative areas out at Wee Jasper I can check out in the event the blackberry's prevent us getting in?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Eric

Headed out to Wee Jasper.

Totally overgrown with blackberries, choking every creek.

I checked out the area people normally fossick in, the gate is open but area is marked as closed for fossicking.

People are still digging in there despite that. Including some big holes right where the creek crossing is which looks pretty fresh including fresh boot marks around it too.

Sorry I should clarify, it is off limits unlesd they have permission from the lessee, which they may have.

Hi

Thinking of going to Wee Jasper tomorrow for a bit of gold panning and gem fossicking does anyone have any suggestions of places to go?

Also around Tumbarumbra area.

Thanks for your help

Hey mate welcome.
Dont go to McPhersons Creek out of bounds these days.
A thousand years ago it was a great place for a dig apart from the bull ants, and blackberry bushes.
Some very nice stones came out of there.
Mackka

Mackka said:
Hey mate welcome.
Dont go to McPhersons Creek out of bounds these days.
A thousand years ago it was a great place for a dig apart from the bull ants, and blackberry bushes.
Some very nice stones came out of there.
Mackka
Any reason for no go on McPhersons?

The track in is good, the creek access not so unless packing a brush cutter

Hey guys. Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm wondering where and what this pink flag is? Is it a permanent landmark or was it just up as a marker several years ago?

Cryptic_squirrel said:
Hey guys. Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm wondering where and what this pink flag is? Is it a permanent landmark or was it just up as a marker several years ago?
lmao.......

i reckon it was a flag pin on a map :) the map/photo is no longer available

I did the map. Not sure about access anymore. It may be leased to a farmer now. There is gold in the diggings and no water. You can see where some hydraulic mining was done. Gold is rather chunky but water is a problem. I used to pan after heavy rain. Sapphires down in the gully near the road crossing.

You should check on if the state forest is accessible or was leased because the gate might be locked and its a long drive.

Better than the Shoalhaven but not for sluices.

according to fcnsw.maps.arcgis.com

1590382695_capture_weejasper_forestryleased.jpg

"Leasehold - No Trespassing - Fossicking NOT Permitted without the express permission of the Lessee"

disappointing

any other suggested locations please

i'm looking for close to canberra, as my cousin lives there, preferably west of act, as i'm near albury wodonga, but really anywhere close to act

we are both beginners

ideally looking for places to detect in this cooler weather, but potentially sluicing in warmer times

i'm using minview etc, but finding locations from minview that aren't private land isn't that easy, obviously

i realise no one wants to give anyway their special spots, so just some locations to help out a couple of beginners, please, anyone

Latest posts