Full Time Gold Prospector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metamorphic said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kykzQlL7wCA

The guy on the video Dave, is Bloodgold2 on Gold Detecting & Prospecting forum (4umer.net)

Tremain is 'Maniac', and Dale is 'AurumPro'

If making a living from detecting is your dream, these prospectors show you how its done guys n gals!

Notice their in depth Geological knowledge and their ability to adapt this knowledge to obtain, and work practical virgin territory, simply through doing their homework and being prepared to go far into the depths of no mans land.
Places that a detector has never seen.

Victoria is much smaller than QLD, we all know that, but you must be able to access territory where the weekend hobby detectorist simply is not equipped or does not have the time and desire to go.

Its essential that you have a good grounding in geology being able to read the ground, the vegetation, and know what to look for in your research.

Research you must, i cannot stress this enough.

Finding 1 gram nuggets with your SDC on the weekends in popular spots, available on a Doug Stone maps, is rewarding and loads of fun, but you will not make a consistent living doing this.

You need the know-how, the gear, the desire and the time to take a risk, throw caution to the wind and go to the right areas geologically, where few have been before you!

Like any business, knowledge is power, hard yakka and commitment is essential, in prospecting for a living.

;)
And money......

Money for initial investment in your setup yes, but then the hard part comes.......Time, Knowledge, fitness and a 'never say die' attitude will win the reward you seek.

Sleep on the gold day in, day out......go to bed with the sun, and rise the next morning with it.

If its 35 deg Cel in the shade by lunch, suck it up like a man and push.

Time on the ground earns the $$$......sitting under a tree on a camp chair sucking beers earns the expenses.

Remember, if its just a hobby, what i have written above need not apply!

;)

Can you make enough money to support yourself being a fulltime prospector. What is an average day or week.

I agree with some of the above in the sense that;

If you turn a hobby into an obsession whether it be for a job or compulsive disorder LOL
you will invariably grow to despise it. Well at least I did.

I used to play golf many years ago to a point where I would shoot 90 for 18 holes most of the time. This was after years as a hacker shooting 110-120 for 18 holes with my mates once a week. In the end if I didn't better 90 I would crack the shits throw my clubs etc etc. I gave it up as a bad joke and have never played since.

As for gold prospecting, with me it was my love of history and exploration of our great country that got me started. I wasn't after gold necessarily but relics of a bygone era in places that I had researched and read about.
The investment from a 4000 to a 4500 to a 5000 and ten years later sees a similar parody to my golf experience.
I now get the shits if I don't pick up a nuggy or two when I'm out. Before I was just happy wandering around the bush and a nugget was a reason the celebrate and have a beer.

Be careful for what you wish for as its not always what you get. Certainly in my case that's true.

GT

goldtruck59 said:
I agree with some of the above in the sense that;

If you turn a hobby into an obsession whether it be for a job or compulsive disorder LOL
you will invariably grow to despise it. Well at least I did.

Be careful for what you wish for as its not always what you get. Certainly in my case that's true.

GT

Yes. This sounds all too familiar. Where we focus we go sort of thing, but with the expenses and the broken trail (not so often good looking) to show for it.

lukelee said:
Hi guys,
I am not a gold prospector yet, but I am really interested in this game.

Wondering how many of you guys are doing this full time?
What is an average annual income for a full time gold prospector?
How much money to spend to get start in this game? any ongoing fee?
License?
Any other things I need to be aware?

Many thanks.

My wife and I are professional prospectors...here's my advice..... go out and become a gold prospector..see if you like it..then decide if you
want to try and make a living out of it. My guess is that well in excess of 95% of people having a go...fail. Point is..they are having a go.

lucky streak said:
Can you make enough money to support yourself being a fulltime prospector. What is an average day or week.

Really depends on how much work you put into it. I quit my job to go gold prospecting and I'm handling a mortgage and a couple of young kids no dramas. But we walk lots of Kms and dig plenty of holes.

The more you put into it the luckier you get. Actually, it's the hours, that turn into days, that turn into years, that turn into the best part of your life. Like anything, if you don't get good at it after all that, then you've wasted your time.
Starting from scratch now?????? You're dreaming. Do something else.

Reg Wilson said:
that turn into the best part of your life.

Just pointing out here (to the public) that this can be read in two ways;

1) If you really want to go for it (have a desire) then you could read this alike to "the best years of your life", i.e. you will have a blast - which may not be what the author of the comment meant, and the reality may be quite different, which brings us to the second possible rendering;
2) The "best part of your life" could be wasted.

"Where you focus you go"

Would also be interesting to find out what Reg actually meant :)

God bless!

Being in the right place and time to detect the cream, could not have made your life too bad after all, hey Reg? ;)

I actually meant that it ends up being most of your life. I got in at the right time and treated it seriously, and found some good color. There's no doubt that the best days are mostly gone, and doing it professionally these days is a big ask, especially coming in cold and learning from scratch. To be successful requires some serious research, and an awful lot of time spent in the field. I for one would not like to be starting out today hoping to make a living from detecting.

After 40 or so years of detecting a lot of the gold in known potential nugget bearing ground has been found.
Also you need to factor in how many others are detecting as they are all competing for the same gold and the same ground.
Legal access to both Private & Public land is rapidly diminishing as government agencies and property owners close doors & gates.
Every year there are hordes more prospectors taking up the hobby and those doing it for a long time know the gold is getting
harder and harder to find.

...making a living from detecting......that's the problem.....detecting is only one part of prospecting...learn to prospect and your options will open up. If you just do what everyone else does....why should you be 'luckier' than the last? I love detectors...but they are only one tool of the trade.

The detector is probably the best tool for the small scale prospector in Australia.
The only other options are gold pan, high banker ( illegal in NSW ) ban may spread to other states or areas within other states, River Sluice & Trommel ( same legal situation as high bankers ).

Getting a mining lease / claim outside of WA is virtually impossible and one would need to be certain a payable deposit exists which is quite hard using hand held prospecting equipment as described above.

Don't forget doing it full time one needs to cover living costs and expenses.
Might work for retired people with good super?

I know there are many young people prospecting full-time.
Just look at U Tube.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

One wonders how they pay their bills?

There are also Middle aged full time prospectors ( Pre pension, retirement age ).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Daily videos = Full time Prospecting
Income = Gold found plus U-Tube revenues.

Goldtalk Leonora said:
...making a living from detecting......that's the problem.....detecting is only one part of prospecting...learn to prospect and your options will open up. If you just do what everyone else does....why should you be 'luckier' than the last? I love detectors...but they are only one tool of the trade.

:Y:
Most people can detect. Prospecting is a whole different ball game.

Nuggets are just indicators and unfortunately many who find a nugget(s) don't learn anything from it and all they are doing is removing the indicators.

The best gold you can make a living from is usually not in nugget form

Latest posts