New Member From Bathurst

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought i should introduce myself instead of lurking around the forums, I have just started to learn prospecting, I have had a quick pan around sofala with no luck yet, I do need to plan another trip up that way soon for another session on the pan!

Look forward to learning heaps of info from you all! :D :D

Welcome to the forum Pyro, another member and myself are spending Wed through Sun this week up around Coles Bridge, Turondale. Come on up if you want, be happy to put some colour in a vial for you.
:goldpan: :pickshovel: :goldpan:

Thanks all, Its a bit hard at the moment to get out of the house for more than a couple of hours as my partners experiencing all day morning sickness, Only day i could possibly get out would be early saturday morning for a hour or so, So I will have to play it by ear at the moment and see if i can make it out!

If you're into fossils, the area around Mount Horrible and the Limekilns area is full of brecciated limestone reefs from a previous inland ocean, things to be found include trilobites and brachiopods. Lots of corals and molluscs as well. There's also areas out here where you can find Marble, some of which has been used to create the big benchtops within Central Station.

If you're after gold, lots around the Turon, plenty to be had in Sunny Corner, and further out towards Oberon/Black Springs you've got areas like Native Dog Creek. You can check out a local on YouTube called 'Adventure Gold'. If you've been a local for a while you will start to recognise a lot of places he goes to.

If gemstones are more your flavour, there are small diamonds to be had in the Sunny Corner area. Otherwise, if you head out towards Black Springs and the Shooters Hill area you'll find Sapphires and Zircons in the Sapphire Bend area (plenty of forum posts on this place) and there's areas where nice Smokey Quartz specimens can be taken.

Weekend trips towards Grabbed Gullen will net you Sapphires, Zircons, peridot and other goodies.

And if you're just into collecting rocks and minerals, we have some really interesting brown obsidian lava flows around the area.

Jaros said:
Welcome. Gunna be 39 there today keep cool.

Work mate used his digital laser thermometer and pointed it at the roof and was showing it was 48 on the roof

goldtrapper said:
And if your into detecting coins in parks in Bathurst forget about it. Unless you collect bottle tops.

I dont have a detector, I am more interested in chasing gold in rivers for a bit of fun

Sushi said:
If you're into fossils, the area around Mount Horrible and the Limekilns area is full of brecciated limestone reefs from a previous inland ocean, things to be found include trilobites and brachiopods. Lots of corals and molluscs as well. There's also areas out here where you can find Marble, some of which has been used to create the big benchtops within Central Station.

If you're after gold, lots around the Turon, plenty to be had in Sunny Corner, and further out towards Oberon/Black Springs you've got areas like Native Dog Creek. You can check out a local on YouTube called 'Adventure Gold'. If you've been a local for a while you will start to recognise a lot of places he goes to.

If gemstones are more your flavour, there are small diamonds to be had in the Sunny Corner area. Otherwise, if you head out towards Black Springs and the Shooters Hill area you'll find Sapphires and Zircons in the Sapphire Bend area (plenty of forum posts on this place) and there's areas where nice Smokey Quartz specimens can be taken.

Weekend trips towards Grabbed Gullen will net you Sapphires, Zircons, peridot and other goodies.

And if you're just into collecting rocks and minerals, we have some really interesting brown obsidian lava flows around the area.

Thanks for the info! I have only been living in bathurst for 5 years so still learning the area, I have a Camry as my daily driver so im unfortunately restricted to where i can go, i would had given sunny corner a go but unfortunately i dont think my car will get me there so i havent attempted,

My mate lived at black springs and had a nice hole he had dug and was getting some nice gems till his mum sold the land. I will keep this info saved so i can refer to it

Thanks

AussieChris said:
Welcome to the forum Pyro, another member and myself are spending Wed through Sun this week up around Coles Bridge, Turondale. Come on up if you want, be happy to put some colour in a vial for you.
:goldpan: :pickshovel: :goldpan:

Found my pans and have some basic equipment to dig, i plan to try and get up to coles bridge between 7-7:30 saturday morning

Latest posts