Minelab GPX 4500 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm thanks everyone for the feedback. Should have mentioned Balmain Bob I'm in Western Vic, had no idea where Hill End was! Appreciate the offer but a bit of a drive!

You've all given me something to think about.

where are you hiring the detector the shop will give you a quick run down on how to set it up or set it up for you 4500 great detector regards john :Y:

I'm running the steelphase sP01 enhancer and swear by it, nailed a .2g today at 4" deep with strong signal that jumped out, using the 12" evo coil.
Some like boosters/enhancers and some don't so you'll get a mixed response, I won't detect without it as I believe the sP01 really brings out those faint signals.

I may be a little biased but I can honestly say that I have found targets with a booster that you cant hear without one.

I have done numerous tests over test beds and out in the goldfields that back this up. A booster/enhancer will lift faint targets that wont be heard by the detector alone.

In saying that some boosters/enhancers are better than others. Its not all about just amplifying the signal. What you're aiming for is to be able to hear those faint, broad deep targets.

I ordered a Steel Phase booster. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to put it to the test this weekend. Stay tuned guys. As you all know I've had a lot of success at first with my 4500 13 grams within the first 3 months. Now nothing since Australia Day. I'm feeling really positive about this weekend. Also bought a landcruiser to get me to those spots that my poor tired Vectra couldn't get to. I will post my results upon my return

Use the booster in your battery,get yourself a set of blackwidow headphones as these trigger the amp in the battery,or use a speaker,

ok i am new to this machine only had a few hours on it . my question is if you were going into the warwick gold fields and you were only taking 1 coil and you had the choice of 11" DD or 11" mono both mine lab coils that came with the machine or the coiltek elite mono 14" which coil would you take .
johno

I would go the Behr4rrh ftt8 11 mono.. all the goal that I've gotten from durikai and Carbine Road have been very small biggest being half a gram smallest being .02 and I got them with a Zed... the guys I know winning gold out there with 5000 and 4500 are using the stock coils or 14x9 etc. I'm sure there are people out there that us bigger coils and have got gold... I had a 4500 with 14 inch camo coil found it to be very chatty/nosiey, I didn't like it much. I would use the 11 and learn the area and machine before spending any money on coils, maybe buy a rake. ;) best of luck...and by the way I'm no Pro just observations that I've made :D

texta said:
ok i am new to this machine only had a few hours on it . my question is if you were going into the warwick gold fields and you were only taking 1 coil and you had the choice of 11" DD or 11" mono both mine lab coils that came with the machine or the coiltek elite mono 14" which coil would you take .
johno
The 14" elite is very sensitive to both small and large gold. Can be noisy so you need swing slowly and with the right settings and gold under foot you should be good. MInd you the minelab coils are also very sensitive.

Cheers

last time i was out i used the 11" commander mono and a half a boot tack just the pointy end screamed out very loud and clear .i have not fitted the DD at all so i dont have a clue what its like to use .
i know it has nothing to do with it but on my terra i much prefer the DD coils over the mono's , but thats when relic or coin hunting whole different world .
johno

It's been soooooo long since I've been out, here are my finds from today still no gold yet.
I went to Castlemaine for the first time it has a lot of very steep hills (not sure if thats a good thing)

1531560047_image102.jpg

Latest posts