how many of you have a 4x4

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run. A 2000 Nissan Pathfinder, pretty stock really, upgraded to bigger rubber, fitted UHF, cruise control, roof racks and basket with rod carrier, MAXTRAX and awning. Spare carried on rear, just cos I don't like spares under the body. Built my own storage system in the back plus roof console for maps etc.
Thirsty on the juice but very reliable and a very capable 4wd, I've only had it 2 years and it's now done 218k. Tows our CT when we head away. (Brake controller and Anderson plug fitted)
1516597513_image.jpg

V6 Landcruiser Prado 98 model.
Bought it 2 years ago on Pickles auctions for $1,000 with an engine knock that caused it to go into limp mode .
Engine died last July so replaced it with a semi recon engine out of a 99 snowy model..
Its driven to Laverton W.A and back towing our camper trailer and been up to Gladstone and back over New year.. Around 10,000 kms on the new engine ...no issues with the engine or towing the CT...
Runs on dual fuel, has dual batteries ,after market shocks with 2" lifts , snorkle, an air diff locker, air compressor, UHF radio and recently when I had the engine out, I added a bull bar roof top basket and a side awning.
Also replaced the small driving lights with a set of large lights a mate gave me last weekend. Haven't had a chance to check them out on a night drive out in the country yet but they seem to throw out a lot of light ... 8)

1516609016_image.jpg

1516609163_image.jpg

OldDogNewTrick said:
small, light (300kgs less than a pajero with same size donk), offroad capable....but stil only a waypoint en route to the UNIMOG!!! Ha ahAAAAAAAA.....

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co.../3148/1516613121_wp_20160807_14_50_06_pro.jpg

Me too

The unimogs have got cheaper in the last 2 months of sales , down to ~ $15 grand for the ones with brown slips , the wrecker ones missing parts are down to around $5,000 but I would rather get one thats in better condition myself.

Add a claas overdrive , a good set of shocks , axle / chassis alignment and you can sit on 100 - 110 ks

:party: :party: :party:

:lol: :lol: Heres a story ,,,got a Mazda BT50 , 2009.....ute 4x4....just got back from trip , in the bush and looks like Ive picked up a stick , that went into the CV boot and ripped it apart....grease everywere....so gave the Mazda dealer a call ....how much to put a new boot on ....sit down take a drink....price of the boot , only one $ 250.00 , and $750.00 to fit it. not from my pay packet I said.. ebay boot price $25. kit. and two hours ive got it fixed....in my own shed...

junkdog said:
:lol: :lol: Heres a story ,,,got a Mazda BT50 , 2009.....ute 4x4....just got back from trip , in the bush and looks like Ive picked up a stick , that went into the CV boot and ripped it apart....grease everywere....so gave the Mazda dealer a call ....how much to put a new boot on ....sit down take a drink....price of the boot , only one $ 250.00 , and $750.00 to fit it. not from my pay packet I said.. ebay boot price $25. kit. and two hours ive got it fixed....in my own shed...

holy shite,1k for a cv boot,got a dmax cuppla months ago might order a spare boot in case,my first 4x4 with cvs so not used to maybe having to replace boots,do them on our quad quite often,bought the cv band little wind up tool last year,thats a useful bit of gear on them bands with no clips.....

bazza2210 said:
nuggetino said:
Awesome jimny and rooftop tent. It's a set up I'd considered for prospecting too and if I had the spare dough I'm sure I'd have one by now. These little buggers go where the big rigs do and all the tight places they don't plus if you one man it often you save big bucks on fuel driving one of these.

This is a better pic of Suzi, true they can go anywhere - it will be even better when I put some decent muddies on it.

Cheers

Barry

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...96_1522093_10200781930545183_1789378927_n.jpg

Sold the jimny to get a better vehicle (got to the point of not being not being able to carry any more gear). It was nicknamed the "Tardus".

This is the new one - only 95k on the clock when I got it.

1519087265_terry.jpg

A great thread !

Great selection of 4WD

At the moment I have a fairly std. 2013 BT50

I bought it to tow a large 3000kg Van !

Van for sale

Once sold Possibly looking at adding sleeping set up for the BT

Or buying something a bit more sleep friendly

I live 15 mins from Manheim Auctions , west of Melbourne

Last 6 weeks Ive been going to & watching auctions online

Im thinking of selling my 2013 BT50 , its a bit too nice for the bush & now that Ive sold my big van , like to find something that is more
sleep friendly .

The auction is good way to gauge whats out there & if you are after something in particular, you can see what it goes for compared to
a car yard price .

The dealers get some concessions in regards to the final price , private buyers pay no concessions etc.

The downside is you don't get to drive them ................. brought one from them supposedly fire damage only to top of motor. On removing starter was hit on the head by a piece of cast iron from the hole blown in the side of the crankcase. :eek: Fire damaged .................. yeah right :mad: The fact item description didn't fit vehicle they didn't want to know about :rolleyes:
All I am saying is to be aware, as what can appear to be cheap can end up expensive.

Trash said:

Im thinking of selling my 2013 BT50 , its a bit too nice for the bush & now that Ive sold my big van , like to find something that is more
sleep friendly .

The auction is good way to gauge whats out there & if you are after something in particular, you can see what it goes for compared to
a car yard price .

The dealers get some concessions in regards to the final price , private buyers pay no concessions etc.

So what's on your radar Trash?

Trash said:

sleep friendly .

a car yard price .

Manheims can be a reasonable place to buy but I wouldnt sell anything there , if selling try carsales.com , gumtree or eBay

If buying , Manheims or pickles are cheapest in Adelaide and WA , Melbourne is next cheapest , Sydney is one of the dearest places to buy anything.

Dont be put off buying interstate , the Freight might surprise you .

Ceva or Patricks quoted me a hilux 4x4 Melbourne to Sydney $1050 , backloads Perth to Sydney by rail used to be around $990 years ago , dont know what they are now though

Do really thorough inspections before buying , if you watch ex govt fleet sales or corporate fleet sales the quality is usually a lot higher and they get serviced better.

Check log books to see if they were serviced properly.

Finance repos are some of the worst condition , second only to stolen recovered vehicles .

I once looked at a finance repo that had 70,000 km on the clock , I pulled the dipstick and the oil was like black fudge , checked the log book and it appeared to have never been serviced since being purchased 8)

Hey Sandta

Well I keep changing my mind

Guess Id luv a lcruiser Lol

They had a HZJ75 1999 3 seater , which was owned by a government dept. & spent its life recording data & no driving
It had. 29,500 kms 8) , I had a go at it but I chickened out @ $30K ( it went for $38,500 )

I think years ago the auctions I went to were a bit questionable , they current buy experience seems more reputable ?

- If you buy on a Saturday , if within 7 days or max. 300 kms travelled you change your mind , they may * buy it back ( * conditions )

- If there is an engine light on , warning light on , or other mechanical issues not specified in the condition report , the auctioneer ,
as I understand it , is obliged to mention this at the commencement of bidding ...?

In the ideal world , luv to buy something thats had a proper service life , last a few years & can handle some dirt tracks .

But I guess there is a voice in my head saying Am I buying someone elses problems ......?

What do you have Sandta ?

Latest posts