You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

1968falconxt
12 February 2018 01:09 pm

Hi all, I have been looking to upgrade to the gold bug 2 for a while now and was about to buy one off ebay AU as they are cheap. BUT... I am aware that china is copying detectors like Minelab and Garrett and I don't want to buy a fake. It just seems too cheap on ebay ($618 delivered).

Also, I like prospecting for coins as well as for gold. Is the gold bug pro any good for relics and coins? I am not after the best, I just don't want a dedicated gold machine.

X-terra 705 with 13x10" MARS DD coil, Garrett pro pointer, Black Widow Prospecting Shovel & hand digger, dry blower, recirculating sluice with 6" Dream mat

mbasko
12 February 2018 03:00 pm

The ones on eBay for $618 are fakes. Be very wary of any on eBay that aren't sold by authorised Fisher dealers & used ones too. Don't buy used unless a dealers invoice can be produced.

The REAL Fisher Gold Bug Pro (19khz) is a great all round detector for relics & coins etc. Will pick up gold in the right areas too.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold- … tector.htm
The REAL Gold Bug 2 wouldn't be so good as a coin/relic detector. It is a 71khz machine aimed at gold detecting tiny bits of gold.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold- … tector.htm

Personally I would recommend the Gold Bug Pro or DP for a new user as an all rounder. They are a good detector & can be picked up cheaply used - with due diligence.

Last edited by mbasko (12 February 2018 03:09 pm)

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

1968falconxt
12 February 2018 03:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad I asked about the ebay ones. I was pretty close to buying one from there!

I read that the only difference between the Gold bug Pro and the Gold bug DP is the coil? Also, you say they will find gold in the right areas. I was planning to do my prospecting in Bendigo/Heathcote VIC, and I am told that it is highly mineralised soil up there.

X-terra 705 with 13x10" MARS DD coil, Garrett pro pointer, Black Widow Prospecting Shovel & hand digger, dry blower, recirculating sluice with 6" Dream mat

Maldon Gold Centre
12 February 2018 05:47 pm

1968falconxt wrote:

Hi all, I have been looking to upgrade to the gold bug 2 for a while now and was about to buy one off ebay AU as they are cheap. BUT... I am aware that china is copying detectors like Minelab and Garrett and I don't want to buy a fake. It just seems too cheap on ebay ($618 delivered).

These are fakes, you will not end up with a detector that looks like the one in the picture, they aren't Fisher Labs products and probably won't work.

We are the only Authorised Dealer in Victoria for Fisher products at the time of writing and one of three in Australia.

You can see current Authorised Dealers for Fisher at this link

The difference between a Gold Bug DP and a Gold Bug Pro is mainly in the coil provided.

The Gold Bug Pro package, rather than the Gold Bug DP, is probably the best bet for Heathcote/Bendigo. The small coil is very good on small nuggets and specimens. The machine is good for relics also, however if you're concentrating on relics you might want an additional larger coil.

Last edited by Maldon Gold Centre (12 February 2018 06:17 pm)

Maldon Gold Centre - Authorised Sales of Garrett, Nokta, Makro, XP, QED, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Teknetics & White's.
Maldon Gold Centre - 7 Days Per Week - Best Price Guarantee - Ph: 1300 575 707

mbasko
12 February 2018 07:09 pm

1968falconxt wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad I asked about the ebay ones. I was pretty close to buying one from there!

I read that the only difference between the Gold bug Pro and the Gold bug DP is the coil? Also, you say they will find gold in the right areas. I was planning to do my prospecting in Bendigo/Heathcote VIC, and I am told that it is highly mineralised soil up there.

Yes the Gold Bug Pro has a 5" round coil & the DP has an 11"x6" elliptical coil. Wouldn't matter which one you got as you can get Fisher accessory coils & aftermarket coils to suit different applications. For example if you got the Pro with 5" coil you could get the Fisher 11" elliptical, Fisher 10"x5" or Detech have an aftermarket 10"x5" elliptical too. One of these would cover your bases pretty well to start out with.
I would think that the Pro/DP would be better in highly mineralised soil but having not used one there can't say for sure how it would go? Mine was ok around my local area in NSW but IMO most VLF type detectors are better used in milder ground. With experience though good ground balancing machines can do ok in harsher areas too. Basically the higher the frequency the more reactive to mineralisation it will be & can be harder to use. A lot of VLF's can be quite "chatty" on the goldfields which can put some people off if not able to get it running well.
There are a lot of options out there like Whites MXT too but the Gold Bug Pro/DP is a nice place to start in a versatile detector.

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Maldon Gold Centre
12 February 2018 07:24 pm

1968falconxt wrote:

The Fisher Gold Bug Pro Combo Metal Detector with 5" DD & 10" DD Search Coils is probably the best value for money.

You get two coils for not much more than the Gold Bug Pro itself.

The Gold Bug Pro is fine in quite mineralised ground. Once you're used to the detector you'll be hitting targets in no time.

Maldon Gold Centre - Authorised Sales of Garrett, Nokta, Makro, XP, QED, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Teknetics & White's.

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

1968falconxt
14 February 2018 09:37 am

Thanks heaps for the info guys. I am so glad I did not impulse buy off ebay... I will be looking for a good 2nd hand GB Pro. Failing that, I will buy one from a dealer.

Maldon Gold Centre
14 February 2018 09:51 am

1968falconxt wrote:

Thanks heaps for the info guys. I am so glad I did not impulse buy off ebay... I will be looking for a good 2nd hand GB Pro. Failing that, I will buy one from a dealer.

If you're going to buy second hand it would be a good idea to check the serial number before handing over cash. Some of the fakes look identical to the real thing with different electronics inside. You can call us with a serial number and we can confirm whether it's real - takes about 24 hours.

5 users like this post: Ridge Runner, grubstake, 1968falconxt, mbasko, Flowerpot

Hydrocarbon
18 July 2018 06:20 am

Hi there all.

Would just like to confirm the information provided above about the fake Gold Bug pros on Ebay. Wish I had read it earlier.

I am guilty of poor judgement and followed through on my impulse purchase of one of the fake GBpros without researching first.

It was supposed to be my introduction to prospecting.

5b4de5b3b672e_GoldBugProSeriallocation.PNG.f069bcd4f2af423ea27e35809d853d50.PNG

5b4de1e48772c_20180717_1611501.thumb.jpg.f810fd3af70f5c67129c39d3dd9a3605.jpg

5b4de1fb9ea80_20180717_1611261.thumb.jpg.1159c4de6a796e3639fa2971e4b92576.jpg

Box it arrived in was for a Gold Bug not the pro.

The face of the display was as for a Gold Bug Pro. There was no serial number in the battery compartment as per the above excerpt from the Fisher user manual.

I am starting the EBAY disputes process now and have also reported the seller for selling counterfeit product.

At the time of writing this the seller had sold 41 of these fake detectors over $20k worth.

The damage this must do to the original companies.

I kick my self for the impulse purchase and not doing my due dilligence first.

I think I will give prospecting a miss after this is sorted.

2 users like this post: silver, DropBear

GaryO
18 July 2018 12:24 pm

No dont give prospecting a miss , just give the impulse buying a miss. thumbsup

Current arsenal - Minelab Sovereign xs-2 Pro, Minelab Sterling , Fisher Goldbug2 , Minelab GPX 4500 , Homemade Banker +Yamaha pump.

3 users like this post: 7.62marksman, AngerManagement, Flowerpot

Goldpick
18 July 2018 08:54 pm

Annoying thing is that ebay sponsors some of these listed sellers of counterfeit detectors, which essentially means the are condoning counterfeiting. I guess money talks at the end of the day, just avoid any Chinese sellers posting up supposed US made detectors, as they are most likely made in China. I hope Ebay refund your money and do the right thing by you.

Prospecting gear: Used - Whites GM3, GM2, GMT, ML XT17000, ML X-Terra 305, Garrett Gold Stinger, Tesoro Vaquero, Nokta RS pinpointer, Minelab Explorer SE Pro/Etrac, Ace 250
Current - XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics G2, Whites SPP, Garrett Infinium, Minelab Go-Find 60, XP MI-6, Minelab Profind, Whites Bullseye TRX, Deteknix X-pointer, Garrett AT Pointer

1 user likes this post: grubstake

Ridge Runner
Banned
Banned
19 July 2018 02:48 am

Hydrocarbon wrote:

Hi there all.

Would just like to confirm the information provided above about the fake Gold Bug pros on Ebay. Wish I had read it earlier.

I am guilty of poor judgement and followed through on my impulse purchase of one of the fake GBpros without researching first.

It was supposed to be my introduction to prospecting.

https://prospecting.net.au/uploads/mont … 853d50.PNG

https://prospecting.net.au/uploads/mont … 9a3605.jpg

https://prospecting.net.au/uploads/mont … b92576.jpg

Box it arrived in was for a Gold Bug not the pro.

The face of the display was as for a Gold Bug Pro. There was no serial number in the battery compartment as per the above excerpt from the Fisher user manual.

I am starting the EBAY disputes process now and have also reported the seller for selling counterfeit product.

At the time of writing this the seller had sold 41 of these fake detectors over $20k worth.

The damage this must do to the original companies.

I kick my self for the impulse purchase and not doing my due dilligence first.

I think I will give prospecting a miss after this is sorted.

Don't let thieves ruin the hobby for you, when you get your money back contact Maldon Gold Centre and deal with someone you can trust,

These scammers do not represent the hobby far from it, Deal with a good Aussie dealer and know you done the right thing,

good luck, hope it gets sorted soon,

Dig em all,

Heatho
19 July 2018 09:08 am

I just changed the heading to fake so people can read up on them and hopefully not purchase any.

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

1 user likes this post: grubstake

DropBear
19 July 2018 12:55 pm

Hope you used PayPal, just send them all the details and they should give you your money back.

Hydrocarbon
19 July 2018 05:01 pm

Heatho wrote:

I just changed the heading to fake so people can read up on them and hopefully not purchase any.

I appreciate the interest and hope that my entries also help others not to make my mistake.

Another line that might help with google searches is "Best metal detector for beginners BEWARE OF FAKES AND COUNTERFEITS"

To get a refund I have to lodge a dispute on EBAY.

The only way to lodge a dispute on EBAY for the purchase that I could find was for "items that aren't as described" and involves requesting a return.

The seller has agreed to the return and provided me with a return address in Regent Park Sydney.

I am loath to return the detector for them to push off to the next sucker like me but cant afford the hit in the hip pocket either.

I have also reported the seller using the report button on the listing but somehow don't expect much will come from it.

Any further advise?

Last edited by Hydrocarbon (19 July 2018 05:01 pm)

Ridge Runner
Banned
Banned
20 July 2018 12:47 am

Hydrocarbon wrote:

Any further advise?

Yeah get your money back first and then search for the seller for the next few months on ebay and hit the report button every time you come across one of their adverts and every time you find one post it here on this thread to warn others,

Good luck.

J.

Last edited by Ridge Runner (20 July 2018 12:47 am)

Dig em all,

1 user likes this post: silver

Heatho
20 July 2018 09:23 am

Seems like you're already doing what's needed, hopefully it works out for you.

Minelab GPX 5000, SDC2300, CTX3030, Equinox 800, patience, lot's of patience.

Hydrocarbon
20 July 2018 12:51 pm

When you use the report function there is warning from EBAY about making reports without justification.

In this case I have justification and evidence.

I will be able to open the case for EBAY to get involved tomorrow.

I had an online chat with EBAY today.

In the first instance they indicated that I should return it as the seller has agreed to the return.

I informed them that a return request was the the only way I could open a formal dispute.
That the seller is based in China and using an Australian location as a proxy.
I also informed EBAY that it was illegal for me to use Australia post to convey illegal goods.

I have also sent a brief description of my plight and a link to the sellers listing and the return address given to me by the seller to Fisher Labs in the US if they wish to act on the information.

1 user likes this post: Flowerpot

Hydrocarbon
22 July 2018 12:01 am

Well EBAY's position is to send it back.

They asked for a OEM report to indicate it is counterfeit.

I indicated that OE manufacturer is in US and is likely to destroy item if sent there. Also indicated illegal to send in post.

I indicated to EBAY that a local OE distributor can verify validity from serial number in battery compartment and that there is no serial number in battery compartment = Fake/counterfeit. Photo of this was sent to seller. This is also supported by the OE user manual.

They challenged me to provide evidence that it is illegal to post.

They insist on sending it back even when I suggest to them the seller is likely to on sell to another EBAY customer.

The process appears to be unnecessarily burdensome and difficult to make a stand against counterfeiters. Like I mentioned previously - to make a claim against counterfeiters you are directed to agree to a return. Once returned then I guess they would then conclude the case closed and no need to take further action.

Does anyone have any useful links regarding illegality of counterfeit items and use of postal service to convey them by any chance?

7.62marksman

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----A disposal technician at a dead run outranks everybody

7.62marksman

Highbanker, Sluice, Trommel, Gold Monster 1000 (Khaleesi), Garrett Ace 400i (Rhaegal), Go-Find 40 (Nymeria), Non Turbo 2.8lt Hilux (Turtle), NAPFA member ----A disposal technician at a dead run outranks everybody

7.62marksman
22 July 2018 12:17 am

Copyright

Under the Copyright Act 1968 it is an offence to:

knowingly import, possess, sell, distribute or commercially deal with an infringing copy

Seizure of infringing goods

Once a notification has been lodged, Customs’ officers will seize any goods infringing either the copyright or the trade marks in question.

After the goods have been seized you have 10 working days to take action against the importer. Customs will detain the products during this time.
At the end of 10 working days the goods will be released to the importer unless you have initiated legal proceedings and have obtained an appropriate court order.
Customs is not obliged to take further action after this time. If you do not commence legal action within 10 working days you may find it difficult to enlist Customs’ assistance in the future.
Trade marks

Under the Trade Marks Act 1995 it is an offence to:

falsify a registered trade markfalsely apply a registered trade markalter or remove a trade mark, knowing it is a registered trade markmake a die, block, machine or instrument that can help in falsifying or removing a trade marksell, possess, distribute or import a good, knowing that the trade mark has been falsified or removed.

Penalties include up to five years imprisonment and fines of up to $99 000.

Copyright

Under the Copyright Act 1968 it is an offence to:

knowingly import, possess, sell, distribute or commercially deal with an infringing copyoffer for sale infringing copies of computer programstransmit a computer program to enable it to be copied when received.

Penalties include fines of up to $117 000 for individuals and up to $585 000 for corporations. The possible term of imprisonment is up to five years.

Last edited by 7.62marksman (22 July 2018 12:25 am)

1 user likes this post: Ship of fools

7.62marksman
22 July 2018 12:29 am

This one i found interesting
https://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/2008 … y-sellers/

Hydrocarbon
22 July 2018 01:04 pm

Thank you 7.62marksman for your helpful links.

At this stage my case appears to still be with EBAY not PAYPAL. Looking at the terms and conditions of PAYPAL Guarantee they seem to reserve the right to grant refunds at their sole discretion.

EBAY still wish for me to send it back and have now provided me with a return postage authorisation to print out and attach for return. I have been given 10 days to do this.

Reviewing the links much of what I see seems to refer to importing/customs - In this case the item has already been successfully imported.

I looked on ACCC website and their advise appears to be careful what you buy to start with, promote seeking refunds and does not give much hope when dealing with overseas companies - My seller is based in China but using an Australian proxy address.

I will use the Auspost link in my next contact with EBAY.

Other searches on the net appear to indicate that the authorities do not have the resources to deal with the extent of the piracy leaving many companies having to act on there own behalf to protect their markets.

Further to note - one of my previous threads where I did not find a serial number in the battery compartment - which I used as the basis of my argument that the unit is fake - Upon re inspection I found a small sticker on the side which matches the electronic serial when you switch the unit on. In this case the serial is 838289. I will now require other reasonable evidence to justify my claim.

I like the the last link you have provided. UK based, it shows that you have to put a lot of effort in to get the right result.

1 user likes this post: 7.62marksman

Hydrocarbon
22 July 2018 01:20 pm

If anyone with a Gold Bug Pro wishes to play "spot the difference" with the photos below be my guest.

1532225918_20180722_100312.jpg
1532225918_20180722_100322.jpg
1532225919_20180722_100335.jpg
1532225754_20180722_101115.jpg
1532225755_20180722_101122.jpg
1532225755_20180722_101134.jpg
1532225755_20180722_101141.jpg
1532225755_20180722_101151.jpg
1532225755_20180722_101200.jpg
1532225756_20180722_101234.jpg
1532225756_20180722_101356.jpg
1532225756_20180722_101440.jpg