You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

1968falconxt
12 February 2018 01:09 pm

Hi all, I have been looking to upgrade to the gold bug 2 for a while now and was about to buy one off ebay AU as they are cheap. BUT... I am aware that china is copying detectors like Minelab and Garrett and I don't want to buy a fake. It just seems too cheap on ebay ($618 delivered).

Also, I like prospecting for coins as well as for gold. Is the gold bug pro any good for relics and coins? I am not after the best, I just don't want a dedicated gold machine.

mbasko
12 February 2018 03:00 pm

The ones on eBay for $618 are fakes. Be very wary of any on eBay that aren't sold by authorised Fisher dealers & used ones too. Don't buy used unless a dealers invoice can be produced.

The REAL Fisher Gold Bug Pro (19khz) is a great all round detector for relics & coins etc. Will pick up gold in the right areas too.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold- … tector.htm
The REAL Gold Bug 2 wouldn't be so good as a coin/relic detector. It is a 71khz machine aimed at gold detecting tiny bits of gold.
http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold- … tector.htm

Personally I would recommend the Gold Bug Pro or DP for a new user as an all rounder. They are a good detector & can be picked up cheaply used - with due diligence.

Last edited by mbasko (12 February 2018 03:09 pm)

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

1968falconxt
12 February 2018 03:57 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad I asked about the ebay ones. I was pretty close to buying one from there!

I read that the only difference between the Gold bug Pro and the Gold bug DP is the coil? Also, you say they will find gold in the right areas. I was planning to do my prospecting in Bendigo/Heathcote VIC, and I am told that it is highly mineralised soil up there.

Maldon Gold Centre
12 February 2018 05:47 pm

1968falconxt wrote:

Hi all, I have been looking to upgrade to the gold bug 2 for a while now and was about to buy one off ebay AU as they are cheap. BUT... I am aware that china is copying detectors like Minelab and Garrett and I don't want to buy a fake. It just seems too cheap on ebay ($618 delivered).

These are fakes, you will not end up with a detector that looks like the one in the picture, they aren't Fisher Labs products and probably won't work.

We are the only Authorised Dealer in Victoria for Fisher products at the time of writing and one of three in Australia.

You can see current Authorised Dealers for Fisher at this link

The difference between a Gold Bug DP and a Gold Bug Pro is mainly in the coil provided.

The Gold Bug Pro package, rather than the Gold Bug DP, is probably the best bet for Heathcote/Bendigo. The small coil is very good on small nuggets and specimens. The machine is good for relics also, however if you're concentrating on relics you might want an additional larger coil.

Last edited by Maldon Gold Centre (12 February 2018 06:17 pm)

Maldon Gold Centre - Authorised Sales of Garrett, Nokta, Makro, XP, QED, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Teknetics & White's.
Maldon Gold Centre - Open Wednesday to Sunday - Best Price Guarantee - Phone: 1300 575 707

mbasko
12 February 2018 07:09 pm

1968falconxt wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I am glad I asked about the ebay ones. I was pretty close to buying one from there!

I read that the only difference between the Gold bug Pro and the Gold bug DP is the coil? Also, you say they will find gold in the right areas. I was planning to do my prospecting in Bendigo/Heathcote VIC, and I am told that it is highly mineralised soil up there.

Yes the Gold Bug Pro has a 5" round coil & the DP has an 11"x6" elliptical coil. Wouldn't matter which one you got as you can get Fisher accessory coils & aftermarket coils to suit different applications. For example if you got the Pro with 5" coil you could get the Fisher 11" elliptical, Fisher 10"x5" or Detech have an aftermarket 10"x5" elliptical too. One of these would cover your bases pretty well to start out with.
I would think that the Pro/DP would be better in highly mineralised soil but having not used one there can't say for sure how it would go? Mine was ok around my local area in NSW but IMO most VLF type detectors are better used in milder ground. With experience though good ground balancing machines can do ok in harsher areas too. Basically the higher the frequency the more reactive to mineralisation it will be & can be harder to use. A lot of VLF's can be quite "chatty" on the goldfields which can put some people off if not able to get it running well.
There are a lot of options out there like Whites MXT too but the Gold Bug Pro/DP is a nice place to start in a versatile detector.

Everything we use comes from mining or farming.

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

Maldon Gold Centre
12 February 2018 07:24 pm

1968falconxt wrote:

The Fisher Gold Bug Pro Combo Metal Detector with 5" DD & 10" DD Search Coils is probably the best value for money.

You get two coils for not much more than the Gold Bug Pro itself.

The Gold Bug Pro is fine in quite mineralised ground. Once you're used to the detector you'll be hitting targets in no time.

Maldon Gold Centre - Authorised Sales of Garrett, Nokta, Makro, XP, QED, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Teknetics & White's.
Maldon Gold Centre - Open Wednesday to Sunday - Best Price Guarantee - Phone: 1300 575 707

1 user likes this post: Ridge Runner

1968falconxt
14 February 2018 09:37 am

Thanks heaps for the info guys. I am so glad I did not impulse buy off ebay... I will be looking for a good 2nd hand GB Pro. Failing that, I will buy one from a dealer.

Maldon Gold Centre
14 February 2018 09:51 am

1968falconxt wrote:

Thanks heaps for the info guys. I am so glad I did not impulse buy off ebay... I will be looking for a good 2nd hand GB Pro. Failing that, I will buy one from a dealer.

If you're going to buy second hand it would be a good idea to check the serial number before handing over cash. Some of the fakes look identical to the real thing with different electronics inside. You can call us with a serial number and we can confirm whether it's real - takes about 24 hours.

4 users like this post: Ridge Runner, grubstake, 1968falconxt, mbasko

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site