Best metal detector for kids?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another option from Teknetics, purpose built for the young ones but not short on features - also only weighs a kilo. http://www.losttreasures.com.au/teknetics-digitek/

The Ace series is real good for the bell tone on goldies for easier identification, although they tend to be a bit nose heavy due to the combination of the coil and short rear stem. The Go-find series will probably also suit due to being able to adjust the shaft length, though it is not the easiest detector to pinpoint with due to the square coil. It does have a pretty simple interface and ground balance ability, but struggles a bit in junky areas. The main thing that concerns me with the Go-find is durability, especially with younger operators, and it is very limited with its hardwired coil (the Ace has other coil options).

The Tesoro Compardre is a very light and simple detector to use, unfortunately it is way overpriced here in Australia, plus the coil is hardwired.

Reynard, thanks but as its going to be from santa i will buy new.
Goldpick, i like the look of that one. Price is a bit more then i would like to spend

Tim_2260 said:
He is pretty keen at the moment, hope he stays keen as it will help justify any future purchases, lol.
Don't firget to let him spend the money he finds ,.... it's important to them that they get that self reward feedback unhampered by the adult mind set. Quickest way to put them off is to say "You could save that money up" cause that gives no immediate reward related to detecting. :Y:

Im really stuck on ideas for a Xmas present for a my 12 year old.
I have decided on a metal detector to get him outdoors and away from games.
Im prepared to pay a decent amount to get a decent working detector (and not a cheap shop toy one) cause its something the whole family can use.
We are beginners and never used one but want a decent one.
What detectors should I look at?
Thank you.

If looking for gold, you can't beat a Minelab SDC2300 for ease of use and it works great on the small gold other detectors might miss.

Depends on what you class as a decent amount of money, the SDC is a tad over $3500.

I may be bias, as I have an SDC and love it.

Since buying my SDC I have found a total of 148 small pieces of gold, 118 of them in South Australia.

If after coins and relics, maybe an Xterra 705 would be suitable. Quite a bit cheaper than the SDC too. Often on sale.

Thanks for that. Wow didnet realised some are in the thousands. Wont be looking at that price range. I was thinking around $500 mark.
I think my son would be happy finding gold coins.

A minelab exterra 705 is an option, on sale at anaconda
1511560277_image.jpg

OLT It doesnt matter what you get make sure it has digital ID. That is it has a numbrt thst appears on the screen that gives an idea of what might be hidden underground. Eg. On a Garrett AT Pro 80 is a $2 coin 75 76 is usually a bottle top but can be a $1.
The kids will fight to use it as if you get into a spot that hasnt been hit before you can come away with $20, $30.
BTW get a digging tool too. If in a park it will help the kids get the coin without digging a huge hole AND a pinpointer of some sort. It localises the metal underground.

Goodluck.

Look at the Minelab Gofind series or the Xterra series. These are available at Anaconda as well as some camping/fishing stores. Also the Garrett ACE series. $500 is at the lower end of the market but should get you a reliable detector. It is a great hobby and can become addictive. :D

hi one lasttime, I have recently purchased an Xterra 705 dual pack for myself & am loving it. Also I have bought a bounty hunter tracker iv for my 11 year old boys & they are finding it very easy to operate & they both have found many coins & bits and pieces and also usual trash. We paid $220 for the bounty hunter & am glad to finally get my boys away from their playstation video games & now they are the ones forcing me to go outdoors to detect. they are loving it.
Good luck with whichever detector you choose and I am sure your 12 year old will love .
Cheers tony.

Well just a quick update, Santa delivered a GoFind20.
Seems like a good size for him. Bit worry he will bash it around and break it. He managed in the first few hours to pop the red button out which locks the handle. I found the spring and put it back in and has been fine since.
First trip was xmas day to the beach, found a few beer caps. I threw down a few coins (without his knowledge) and he did find them. My wife and daughter also took a great interest in it and had a go too.
I come home today from work to find that they went back down the beach and managed to find a $2 a $1 and a little junk silver coloured ring. They were ecstatic and now my daughter wants to buy a detector, and I think the wife is pretty keen on it too, lol.
In short I would say the GoFind20 is OK, for its price ($160 atm) just have to see how it holds up over time. If he (the my wife and daughter) stick with it then maybe Santa can go an upgrade next year.

Thanks for all the advice, Regards Tim

Mate even the longest journey you can imagine...started with the first step.If my wife can become interested in detecting..as she recently has..then anybody can do it!...hehe!
Good stuff mate!...lots of overtime for you in the coming year I'll bet! :p ..you'll need it!...... :lol: detecting changes live's..for the better!..good luck out there to you and the family :Y: :Y: ...Rossco. :eek:

Latest posts