Wattle Flat / Sofala NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sofala, like most other historic goldfield areas, would have been under (or partially under) various EL's since forever.
The good news is thanks to NAPFA that Bathurst Regional Council area (LGA) is now one of the recently gazetted Fossicking Districts meaning you don't have to get the permission of EL holders to fossick. As long as you have otherwise legal access to the land i.e. freely accessible public land, private/leased land permissions etc. then you are good to go.

Silly me I didnt think to check minview.

But am glad the area is declared a fossicking district now.

Will have to do a reprint of the area and put
it up on the shop wall with the others.

Cheers. Thnx
Lee.

A bit more good news; the Mid Weston LGA (Mudgee District) has just been gazetted as a fossicking district; thanks NAPFA. All that remains to cover off most of the central west gold fields is to have the Wellington LGA to become a fossicking district, work in progress on that one.
Cheers, Sinhof.

Hi guys just wondering if any one has any info or done any detecting around the burnt yards at mandurahma and Sofala . Going to stop in to both on the way home in jan/ feb

Thanks dibs

Hi Dyble,

Spent a week at Sofala at the end of October.
Detected around the Upper Turon not far from Greens Point - no luck. Very slim pickings
these days, so were told.
Youll have better luck at HillEnd up the road.
Had some luck at Ophir though.
Cinken

Hi guys. Heading up Sofala way for a couple of days. Just wondering what the water level of upper Turon is? Taking river sluice as well as pans. Thanks

I find this site helpful for gauging river levels:

http://www.waterwaysguide.org.au/river-levels

1523842469_screen_shot_2018-04-16_at_11.33.51_am.jpg

I cant imagine much flow, I went to the meroo last week and its just a couple of ponds scattered. But this can be great time to get to good crevices that are normally well under water.

came home from Hill End last Sunday via Sofala, didn't notice a great deal of water was peeking at the bits of the river as was driving along, stooped at a narrow white bridge drove down the shout track to the turon river edge just a big stagnant waterhole even though the area had a bit of rain on friday night, Hill End creeks only had isolated ponds no flowing water

On Doug Stones map of Sofala Wattle Flat Goldfield at Green Poinit camping area there is abandoned diggings according to the A Guide to Fossicking in New South Wales on Crown Land you need to find the owner of a lease.

What do I need to know about the area........Thanks Norm

Hi Norm,
Its open ground. You can go there without having to ask anyones permision. I f you look closely at the map you will see the light grren background. This idicates that it accessable crown land . i have been to this location a few times
Generally, if you have to jump a fence to get to where you want to go you need to get permission first

cheers

Bob

As Bob says Norm been there a few times (but not for a few years) & no dramas with access in the green shaded areas. All unfenced/open.

You still do need to do some research with those maps though & double check in a lot of areas.
As an example the Hargraves/Windeyer map does have some green shaded areas of Crown Land that are actually under lease & not accessible without the landholders permission.

To check & be 100% sure you can get the Lot & DP numbers off Six Maps & give the nearest Crown Lands Office a call.

Latest posts