Wattle Flat / Sofala NSW information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am heading to Wattle Flat on Friday.

I am planning to do some detecting with my GPX4500 & am hoping to be able to take a friend & do some WalBanking also.

Would someone be willing to point me in the right direction? Either PM me or post here any advice on location for detecting/banking &/or detector settings for the area.

Cheers, MTMM.

I haven't been out there yet myself but have heard the owner at the Wattle Flat general store is very helpful both with areas to try detecting & camping.
Hopefully someone who has been there will give you more info but if not try the store.

Sofala/Turon River is just down the road & I think you can highbank around Big Oakey creek up towards Wattle Flat depending on available water.

Hey guys was wondering if the upper Turin was worth a visit. Halfway between Capertee and Sofala.

Does a bear poop in the woods.

The Turon is a magical river, and consistently produces color.
From the Upper reaches, to the junction with the Macquarie River....give me a pan and a shovel and let me at it.

Go for it mate, and have fun

CAPERTREE: Records show that good gold was obtained from the Capertree River especially if the river is dry (water can be obtained a few feet down). At Blackfellows Ring, at the junction of Bogie and Oakey Creeks, and at the Nuggety and Sandy Gullies, in the Capertree Valley, coarse, water worn gold has been found. One nugget found at Sandys Gully weighed 30 ounces. (lifted from another forum)

Was down there 2 weekends ago and was flooding could not get through at strops crossing

Hi guys finaly get to go to sofala with my wife and dog for a few days . Anyone else around the area? Or any tips for good spots to camp and find the gold?

I went there just a minute walk from the bridge, under the creek and did some panning, the rocks are just to big and there isn't really fine sand =(

Hi, I've been fossicking at sofala a couple of times now, there seems to be a lot of people getting through there all the time. Looks to me like a real test of skill haha trying to find gold in such a flogged out area! Both times have been after a decent stint of rain.
The only things I've learned;

1. Not much point looking in the obvious places like under the bridge

Without some good equipment (highbanker etc)

2. Expect to have to move large volumes of gravel and be strategic about how you attack a gravel bar.

3. Research research research!!

4.Don't give up! Hahaha

Hope you have fun :D

Try the downstream side of the Turon, Big Oaky Creek junction.
Find some good looking crevices and clean them out well.

Yes ...flogged area, but should be able to get a show of color

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to camp at this spot and run the highbanker round the area with great success or not ,thinking of heading out this way for my next trip I have only dug the area closer to sofala so I usually stay up the other end of town might stay down this side and give it a go I guess it's where you find it after all just got a hit the lucky spot :D

Too true, gold is where u find it! Problem I think with these areas is the ground has probably been worked down atleast 6 foot....imagine 8000 diggers all within metres of eachother shovelling paydirt 100 years ago. Sure looks virgin today but the scale of mining back then was phenomenal, those areas may have been worked and worked so finding a fresh spot may be the issue. There were good finds all along the Turon near Sofala, and thats the problem. The town is probably sitting on some good gold! Love the area, but u really need to recognise that the old timers have given it a fair crack, gold doesnt replensh so we are left with the scraps.

Twapster said:
Too true, gold is where u find it! Problem I think with these areas is the ground has probably been worked down atleast 6 foot....imagine 8000 diggers all within metres of eachother shovelling paydirt 100 years ago. Sure looks virgin today but the scale of mining back then was phenomenal, those areas may have been worked and worked so finding a fresh spot may be the issue. There were good finds all along the Turon near Sofala, and thats the problem. The town is probably sitting on some good gold! Love the area, but u really need to recognise that the old timers have given it a fair crack, gold doesnt replensh so we are left with the scraps.
True there so true just have to look and find a top spot like allways twapster

No it is not, from Bathurst heading to Sofala there is a turn on the left just before Whiterock rd. South common area.
It is a grass track with a mechanical workshop on the left, keep driving up and you will find the picnic tables, toilets and information sign.
There are two areas just after the shop turn left up the road follow up to the dirt, there is a bus turning area on your right this leads to the North common area.

Latest posts