Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found probably 15 palets last weekend at seven mile diggings near Nanango... the deepest was 4 to 5 inches with 5 inch coil. Hoping to take gm 1000 out Warwick way in about 3 weeks to give it a crack..hoping for right colour out there?

Thanks cando

In the end i decided not to kill 2 birds with one stone. Getting a 705 for coin and relics and to introduce myself to the detecting game . then save up for a sdc 2300 at some point down the road for the gold.

HammaH said:
Thanks cando

In the end i decided not to kill 2 birds with one stone. Getting a 705 for coin and relics and to introduce myself to the detecting game . then save up for a sdc 2300 at some point down the road for the gold.

The Impact can handle the hotter ground, But what ever VLF you buy be sure to keep it when you buy your SDC and or a GPX because all 3 detectors have their uses and there is lots of good people here to help you on your way.

Good luck

J.

HammaH said:
Thanks cando

:Y: Great choices there mate... when you've gotten used to your 705 I would recommend getting a wot 15 inch coil.... it's a little bit heavier but you can cover so much more ground and give you some extra depth.. ;)

Cando said:
HammaH said:
Thanks cando

:Y: Great choices there mate... when you've gotten used to your 705 I would recommend getting a wot 15 inch coil.... it's a little bit heavier but you can cover so much more ground and give you some extra depth.. ;)

they are great coils, I had one on my Sov GT.

Cando, In the right soil this little machine hits hard and deep on small pellets etc. and looks like you got it running well. Keep at it mate and the right areas and i am sure if there is a small nugget it will hit it. I got a good spot just in mind for it, but other commitments at the moment have got in my way. But i do enjoy using the monster, no threshold is great. :)

Just to let you know and be mindful of it in iron disc. mode that the coil seems to be more sensitive in the rear of it then the front? Just something i observed with it one day, may be different in your soil/ area?

Hi All,

I have been keenly following the threads on the GM1000 and how it is being used in different regions, i mainly prospect around sunny corner, oberon, native dog creek and can get out to hill end, sofala etc.
I will only get out a couple of times a year and have been looking at hiring detectors and or doing tours etc but 1 weekend tour is about 1k (same price as the gm1000). if i was going once a month or even 5 times a year i would invest in an SDC/GPX but at this time i just cannot justify the cost for how often it will get used on the goldfields.

so....

i have been looking a GM1000, reading here and other forums the gm works best in less mineralised grounds, having not detected there before i don't know how to compare the degree of mineralisation to the reports that i have read here. has anyone had any real experience in using the gm1000 in the central west particularly the areas i mentioned.

I don't want to buy the machine and then have a hard time detecting, i would rather stick to panning.

Thanks

Mate I reckon the GM1000 would do pretty well around the Central West. I'm going to get one soon mainly for my daughter but I'll give it a go too.
Without having actually used one myself it's hard to give advice but I have used a Whites GMT, another high frequency VLF, around the area (Hill End, Hargraves, Windeyer, Sofala, Mudgee) & it was quite capable in areas. Found my first detected nugget & specci with that machine so I would think the GM1000 would be just as capable if not more so.
Just need to pick your areas - shallow ground, bedrock/creek beds, surfaced areas, mullock heaps etc. There is some ground it will most likely play up on but there is still plenty of opportunity around here.
Maybe contact Central West Prospecting in Mudgee & see if they are hiring one out at all or if they have a demo day coming up.

Thanks mbasko & old Hand,

I had also though of going the GMT route as i like the idea of a threshold and it has been a long proven performer, but was also concerned about the mineralisation in the area, i also figured that the the gm1000 will have better resale after a year or two if i want to upgrade to a 4500/sdc.

being that ive only ever panned in the areas before i wasn't sure how badly mineralised the locations area, i wouldn't want to get there and it be unusable in most of the ground, in the future if i can get more visits in per year then i have no issue in going unto a 4500/sdc as i can see the value in those detectors.

if anyone else has anything to weigh in please do i would love to hear more experiences/opinions on how the gm1000 will handle the ground in the central west.

Thanks

mbasko said:
Heres a report from an Eastern Aussie user. From his nick I'd assume he's based around Orange/Ophir area:
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/3970-aussie-gold-monster-appraisal/

great link, some good info in there,

I called CWPS in mudgee and had a chat to them, cant remember the name of the gentleman that i spoke to ( i think he was the manager)but he was very helpful, he advised that he had taken the gm out in a few of his favourite areas around hill end/mudgee and windeyer and hasnt had too much trouble with mineralisation, and could run it in high sensitivity. he did mention that when the mineralisation was higher he would have to knock it down to around 5-7 sens but that it was still picking up good targets. He did however say that if i was doing most of my detecting in the Vic GT then he would advise me to keep saving for an SDC or GPX as it would be more difficult to get it running nicely in the more mineralised ground they have down there.

I also asked about how they compare to the GMT/Impact but he was honest and didn't have first hand experience with them so couldn't really comment. I really appreciated his honest and helpful attitude and will definitely visit the shop when in the area/ready to buy.

i would still love to hear of anyone elses experiences in the central west.

Cheers,

roddosnow said:
I called CWPS in mudgee and had a chat to them, cant remember the name of the gentleman that i spoke to ( i think he was the manager)but he was very helpful, he advised that he had taken the gm out in a few of his favourite areas around hill end/mudgee and windeyer and hasnt had too much trouble with mineralisation, and could run it in high sensitivity. he did mention that when the mineralisation was higher he would have to knock it down to around 5-7 sens but that it was still picking up good targets. He did however say that if i was doing most of my detecting in the Vic GT then he would advise me to keep saving for an SDC or GPX as it would be more difficult to get it running nicely in the more mineralised ground they have down there.
I also asked about how they compare to the GMT/Impact but he was honest and didn't have first hand experience with them so couldn't really comment. I really appreciated his honest and helpful attitude and will definitely visit the shop when in the area/ready to buy.
i would still love to hear of anyone elses experiences in the central west.

That would have been Vaughan - he's a top bloke, knowledgeable and helpful in my (admittedly limited) experience. :Y:

It's a tough call between the GMT and the GM-1000, personally I would go with the GMT because there are a few parts that interchange with my other Whites machines, The GMT has a few tricks up it's sleeve as well that I like, but the reasons I like it only apply to me and my needs,

The GM-1000 appears to be a great machine and highly successful and as I have said before I really like it, there is one guy in New Zealand who is really tearing it up with the GM and he owns a few high frequency machines, and from the price point of view the GM is a great introduction in to the hobby,

John.

Great posts I bought monster 3 weeks ago I am new to prospecting but starting to learn out in the Feilds

Well i am back from Bango country :eek:
I have returned with a heavy heart with no gold in 3 days 8.(
but boy did i have some fun with the GM 1000 it found everything that was buried or not ]:D ]:D
even some rocks about the size of a golf ball but as light as anything and the 1000 went mad :lol: :lol: :lol:
ok so i found nothing but there is always next time
Yes i love the 1000 but the small coil made me laugh when i opened the box :D :D :D
we were at sunny corner but the creeks looked well cleaned out and very little water except for panning

That's a shame,but enjoying yourself is always a win :Y:

Better "luck" next time :)

7.62marksman said:
Well i am back from Bango country :eek:
I have returned with a heavy heart with no gold in 3 days 8.(
but boy did i have some fun with the GM 1000 it found everything that was buried or not ]:D ]:D
even some rocks about the size of a golf ball but as light as anything and the 1000 went mad :lol: :lol: :lol:
ok so i found nothing but there is always next time
Yes i love the 1000 but the small coil made me laugh when i opened the box :D :D :D
we were at sunny corner but the creeks looked well cleaned out and very little water except for panning

Mate don't be too hard on yourself, Sunny Corner is a very hard nut to crack, I've detected there heaps of times and only ever found one tiny piece of gold there at 0.05g, much easier panning/crevicing there in Mitchell's creek I reckon. Great spot to get to know your machine though. :Y:

Latest posts