Metal Detector Repairs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all. I was telling a friend of mine that I wanted a metal detector. He told me that he bought one a few years ago and it got wet and stopped working. My question is, is it worth grabbing it and trying to fix it or buy new parts. Or just avoid it? Any input appreciated

If it got submerged and was never fully dried out there could be alot of corrosion internaly.
Everything deserves a chance to live again but if you spend more than a 10th of the price of a new one i would hesitate, because you will always have that small doubt of if its working to its 100% capacity.

Cant hurt to get a quote from Minelab, you would only have to send the control box, so it wont cost much to send it to them.

Don't forget to check the handle just under the control box, there may be a screw holding the control box in place.

Picked it up this morning. Pulled it apart. Cleaned it up. A little of corrosion around battery case. Wire brushed. New batteries and it fired up. A couple of buttons might not be working. I don't know i just turned it on and started pushing buttons. Most of them made a beep. Found an old piece of chain burried in the back yard. Lol. I found something i suppose. A good day. Will just have to figure out what the heck I'm doing as well as a few buttons :)

Give it a bench test yo see how it goes with differing targets. 8)

Good idea silver thanks. I just need a nugget to wave underneath it?. But seriously i have about a gram of alluvial specks mixed with a little sand (cant refine it any further ) in a glass vial. Should it be able to detect that?

Have been finding all sorts of old junk in the paddock. Have a good size pile of old nails. Lol. Has playing with the kids today with it and it just went haywire. Was screaming everywhere i pointed it even at the sky. Think she might be fried :(

Grab some crc elecrical contact cleaner and give all the switchs and dials a good spray to make sure they will all operate correctly.
By the way what model is the detector ?

Gaz

Problem with the 705 is the cost of replacing the front button panel when out of warranty, apparently it is quite a pricey component & probably not worth the effort if stuffed. Might be one for Nenad to comment on.

Latest posts