Coil questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, if you purchased the 4500 from Miners Den, the current package includes an 11" Commander Mono and 11" GP Series Double D.

The Double D will allow you to use Iron Reject for really trashy areas as well as Cancel Mode for areas with extreme EMI.

Yeah all GP extreme and GP series branded coils were DD.

Super Gold Search, MPS Technology and Commander coils had mono and DD versions.

Other way to identify a Mono coil is that a small nugger or leadshot will signal right around the perimeter of the coil. DD will be strongest down the centre.

When I bought my GPX 4500 it came with a few coils and just after I bought it I also bought a 8 x 6 Sadie after advice from another prospector...I really have no understanding of coils,sizes,types what they do differently etc and was wondering if anyone has a link that they might have to help me understand them better...I have searched the forum but there doesn't seem to be too much info on what I'm looking for...

Cheers...Sparra

HI Sparra what coils do you have size and type DD OR MONO
if you have a 11 inch commander mono start with that, they are a good all round coil good to learn the detector with the sadie are a very sensitive coil, do not run the RX and Gain to high especial with the ground being wet like it is at the moment regards john :)

Hi John..I have an 11" mono, an 11" that has nothing on it except GP Series that I assume is a DD,a Nugget Finder 17 x 11 Mono and an 8 x 6 Sadie..I have only used the Sadie as there is plenty of small gold around here but I do have trouble stabilizing it. I am only new to this sort of thing and thats the reason for the coil question so maybe I should start over with the 11" mono and go from there...

Cheers...Sparra

The sadie are a very sensitive coil if you are new to the 4500 then the 11 mono to start with ,it will find small gold but the best thing is to get to know what the detector is telling you and what to do to get it running stable ,you do have another option try the DD and put the coil RX into mono regards john :)

I have a few coils already, my largest is an 18x12 Coiltek Mono. I am looking at getting one of the new generation coils and am on a budget. So, keeping in mind this is for GT detecting, if you had the choice of only one of the following coils which would it be? and, maybe why? I am leaning toward the Elite as they are cheaper....

Coiltek Elite 11"
Coiltek Elite 14"
NF Evolution 12"
NF Evolution 14"
NF Evolution 14"x9"

Thanks

PS - for use on my GPX5000

condor22 said:
I have a few coils already, my largest is an 18x12 Coiltek Mono. I am looking at getting one of the new generation coils and am on a budget. So, keeping in mind this is for GT detecting, if you had the choice of only one of the following coils which would it be? and, maybe why? I am leaning toward the Elite as they are cheaper....

Coiltek Elite 11"
Coiltek Elite 14"
NF Evolution 12"
NF Evolution 14"
NF Evolution 14"x9"

Thanks

PS - for use on my GPX5000

Well Not that I am there but I have seen enough Video's of Nenad's to say either the 14" Elite, and the 14"x9" but most of all I would say one of Nenad's Detech 15" Coils coz it seems to be a Blend of what the other two are with good depth too,

Hope that helps,

John.

I just got one of Nenad's 11" Detech Ultra Monos. Unfortunately it turned up after we left last time so I can't report on its performance. It's lighter than the Elite and seems to be good value too providing it performs as expected.

12" nugget finder evo, runs quiet, pings everything, not bump sensitive,made to last. My favourite coil.
A little bit dearer than the elite, but much better construction.

I cannot vouch for the 15 spoked Evo yet but from my research and what Nenad said,
Worth every bit of it.
The EVO 14x9 I see has very favorable rave reviews and it was a close call between it and the 15" Spoked.
The reason I went for the 15 is it fills in a small gap in my arsenal.
I have,
17x13 Evo,
15 Spoked,
Sadie,
and the two Commander coils.
Summing up, I like the build quality of the Evo Coils and with the ones I already had,
Very stable and quite.

The 12 evo we use them in the GT great depth good on the small stuff and 3 years warranty, what ever new gen coil you buy there are all a bit more sensitive its just a matter of setting your detector up correctly regards john :)

Either Elite or Evo you can't go wrong, saying that I prefer the build quality and robustness of the Evo series with their separate coil mount which is not moulded into or part of the coils top plate.

My 5000's standard coils is the 15" spoked Evo and only comes off when I put a bigger one on.

Hi, well my lifestyle change is getting bigger than Ben Hur.
Changing from Golden nuggets to Golden coins.
So... took the SD 2200d down the park....Wooow!! too much power, too much trash. The 2200 has a 14" coilteck on it.
Took it down the beach, much better, but we were digging 2' for a bobby pin. Thats ok, I like the exercise.
The 2200 also didn't mind the wet sand but I was concerned about the coil getting wet.

So.... I bought a x-terra 705. Great in the park and on dry sand, but does not like the wet sand. so then I thought I should buy a dedicated beach detector. I was looking at AT Pro and a couple of others.
But... because I believe you should dig everything on the beach, {our beaches are very clean} why not put a waterproof coil on the 2200 ?
By doing that I should have it all covered. 705 for parks and old towns, 2200 for beach and not concerned if the coil gets a bit wet, plus we still have a dedicated Gold Detector if we end up in a Gold area.

I said all that to ask those who know..... What waterproof coil would you recommend for the 2200 ?

Thank you ...ThomasG

Latest posts