Blackwood Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maryborough Coiltek Centre will do the SDC and throw in a pick and a scoop for $60 per day and give 10% off for 3 or more days hire. Sorry, that's the only one I know.

I'd try the 4500 if your looking at buying a detector..the 4500 is the best bang for your bucks and there not that hard to use I'd be happy to help u with settings and I'm very familiar with Blackwood it's a tough place for a beginner but that's where I started to ..you can learn a lot out there ..just my opinion if your serious about getting into detecting cheers mate...

theres a few good deals going around on the sdc and 4500.

so is the 4500 best bang money can buy?
like said last time 90% of the work will be around the blackwood barry reef area..

ben2363 said:
theres a few good deals going around on the sdc and 4500.

so is the 4500 best bang money can buy?
like said last time 90% of the work will be around the blackwood barry reef area..

4500 probably best bang for buck and SDC probably best bet for gold ;)

got my eyes on a 4500 any one got a basic setting and what coil for the blackwood / Trentham area

Yeah you wouldn't want to go much bigger than a 11. Blackwood/Trentham gold fields are mostly overgrown and very steep terrain, its hard to detect. Good luck out there Ben ;)

hi guys newbie here. Ive recently purchased a Whites Goldmaster and thought i would spend the day in Blackwood and get used to my new machine. I found myself on Obriens rd which led me to Obriens Crossing i think it was called.There is a beautiful river that the road crosses over i was wondering if you are allowed to detect there or anywhere else along that river. I have recently purchased a miners license and im trying to do everything by the book so dont want to be stepping on anybodies toes. I would appreciate any info from any of you seasoned guys to set me straight cheers. :|

Check the laws regarding rivers and creeks, Google will help. In some states I believe the land owner does not own the waterway and cannot restrict you from traveling along it. I may be wrong though so you better check thouroughly, I once read an interesting thread about it on a kayaking forum.

Thanks to all for getting back to me so promptly. I will certainly stay out of the Lederderg State park. I have pulled up a map showing the areas where prospecting is allowed i was just curious about that river, apart from prospecting it looks like a great place to camp such a beautiful piece of country. Thanks again guys. :)

Dweller said:
Magneticsand If you cant camp there why is there a campsite at Obriens crossing ??????

There isn't.
Source: Was camping there and rangers turned up with bobcats, generators, and jackhammers, two days early.
They removed all the old signs, added no camping signs and destroyed and removed all the fire and bbq spots.

http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/lerderderg-state-park/things-to-do/obriens-crossing

Camping is not permitted at O'Brien's Crossing.

Camping is permitted at nearby Lerderderg camping area at Upper Chadwick Track. Lerderderg camping area has toilets, picnic tables and fireplaces. Fires are permitted only in the fireplaces provided. Dogs on lead are permitted.

O'Briens Crossing picnic area has toilets and picnic tables. Fires are not permitted at this picnic area.

I wonder why the rangers did that perhaps there was some safety issue. Next time im up there i will check out the Lerderderg camp area. Thanks very much for that have a great day.

Latest posts