Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GPX observations from SDC User:

Spent a day in Temora looking for some yellow.

Did some very crude testing and detecting with no gold results but the area is more renowned for deep reef gold than surface nuggets.

• I buried a previously found 3.7gm nugget 8 inches deep. The SDC had no issue "seeing it"(I found it with the SDC at that depth)[/*]
  • The GPX with all coils Elite 14" Mono, GP Series DD and Commander Mono had no issues but was much clearer in Normal than enhanced.[/*]
  • I dug it out and went deeper. I reckon it was around 12". SDC could not see it, but the GPX could with any of the coils.[/*]
  • Just away from the gold target I picked up a faint but very noticeable SDC signal. The GPX could not see it with any of my coils in any settings I played with. See pic below of tiny, tiny lead shot.
    1488929536_capture.jpg
    [/*]
  • I know why I find gold with the SDC, because other detectors previous to the SDC can not see gold this small????Not even a whimper or groan from the GPX[/*]
  • The GPX is very labour intensive with a lot time fiddling and adjusting settings to tame it. (Inexperience I suspect)[/*]
  • SDC turn it on and go. Signals are very distinct and if repeatable there is always something there to dig.[/*]
  • I dug two "ground noise" targets that I was sure was something deep that the SDC could not hear.[/*]
  • The owners manual states. Take an inch of soil off the top, don't put the coil in the hole just scan at the same ground level height. If the signal improves likely target and repeat. If it stays the same of falls away likely ground noise.[/*]
  • Gold fields are an excellent place to dump old rubbish and broken bottles apparently!!!!.[/*]
  • I played around with the Custom Settings, Patch, Hi Trash and Hi Mineral. Patch seem to work really well.[/*]
  • Did not think of it on the day but wish I had of used the Hi Trash setting just to try it out. The area I was in there was no way you could dig every target[/*]
  • I need more time alone with the GPX where I have found gold in the past.[/*]

NOTE to Minelab: Please make an SDC 4500 for the less patient like me. Switch on then detect!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Hope you get something of value out of the above

GPX's just don't see lead very well. I'm talking the small stuff like you found. The SDC and GPZ loves the stuff, but the GPX no, sometime you really need to rub it on the coil! But sometimes, this can be a very good thing! I was once working a set of diggings and digging lead after lead after lead with the SDC. Strapped on the Zed, same thing. It was wearing me down. So got out the 5000, ran Enhanced with an 11" mono, and suddenly there was no more lead. I dug 4 targets, and 3 of them were gold for a total of about 2 grams.

Nice!!!

Appreciate the insight!

All the golden rules stay true.

"Learn your machine. Learn what its trying to tell you."

Ill get there and the Pinpointer I ordered from you turned up in quick time and should serve me well on my GPX quest!!

Cheers

RS

Nenad, further to your last re " lots of lead". I ran the 5000 today with the 12 Evo and was getting a little tired of just finding tiny lead, ie 16 plus one little gold. I was running in fine gold, and the I mean very " tiny " pellets were the order of the day. Would enhance have made a difference to my talley.
Thank you.

Yes correct. As you know a 12" Evo and Fine Gold adds a lot of sensitivity over a standard 11" and Enhance. But that's why it's such a good combo :)

The 45's are a beautiful machine. Although getting on a bit they're not too heavy, they're extremely well balanced, they're very adaptable and have heaps of options, they can hold their own and punch through tough ground but they're also very sensitive when necessary.

A bit like myself really :D

Finally got to take my 4500 out today for the second time to get to know how to use it. Followed all the instructions and it ran like a dream, quiet and nicely balanced. I was on a gravel road where it was very open and out of the way in a gully area. Wondered around a bit and got a signal......
...in the moddle of the dam road, started digging down to a foot all the time wondering if someone was going to come scooting along the road. Dug some more down to 18 inches and started to really worry about someone hitting this dam big hole I had dug, of course I forgot to take my pinpointer with me. Decided I would go back another day with pinpointer and so filled in the crater. I suspect it was rubbish but you don't know till it's out.
The first time I used it I was in a hurry and the thing wouldn't settle down at all because I didn't set it up properly and there was too much interference from power lines around and I was a bit disappointed with it. Anyway I think I am going to like the 4500 can't wait to get to the GT soon.

Hi folks. I'm new to metal detectors but have bought a 2nd hand ml4500. It came with a bunch of various coils.

I would like some help on what all the settings on the detector do please.

Cheers! :)

HoudiniHarry said:
Also where are you detecting?

Hi. Currently in adelaide but moving to country nsw shortly near Cobar.

Im confused about which settings in soil types and coil settings.

Thanks also bogger. The manual explains plenty. It'll keep me busy that's for sure.

It seems to be missing the pages on where gold is though :lol:

So if I'm out around Cobar NSW , what settings would be best with which coil type please?

Is that red colour sand/soil considered mineralized?

Once you have your ten post up mate, it will open your doors to members meets, and you be able to meet up with people one on one, real handy face to face to get to the bottom of the 4500. Its a great unit that so many dont know its real potential, due to understanding it. You can programe favourite settings on it, so you can change coils without the need to reset everything. Every coil change over realy should be different. Your got a great weopon, now just learn how to set the sights.

Lend it to me for a coupla moths and i will have it figured out for ya ]:D
Start with factory settings and adjust from there or better yet find someone on this forum that has one and take them out for a week :Y:

mudgee hunter said:
Once you have your ten post up mate, it will open your doors to members meets, and you be able to meet up with people one on one, real handy face to face to get to the bottom of the 4500. Its a great unit that so many dont know its real potential, due to understanding it. You can programe favourite settings on it, so you can change coils without the need to reset everything. Every coil change over realy should be different. Your got a great weopon, now just learn how to set the sights.

I can see a huge lump of schooling coming my way. Cheers for your reply! :)

aussiefarmer said:
Lend it to me for a coupla moths and i will have it figured out for ya ]:D
Start with factory settings and adjust from there or better yet find someone on this forum that has one and take them out for a week :Y:

I think finding an instructor would be the best bet.

Are there any in Adelaide?

Keep asking another 4 posts, your up to 6 and you will see in member meet ups ;) .lol
or take the short cut and ride a goat down the main street naked for us. :D

Latest posts