Minelab Gold Monster 1000 tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
It's predominantly being marketed for Africa.
It's a 45khz VLF detector. The frequency spread technology sounds interesting (18-71khz) if not similar to how other VLF detectors are tuned optimally to one frequency but can change frequency by changing coils, switching freq. etc.
It's replacing the Minelab Eureka Gold in the current line up of detectors (the Eureka Gold has begun a phase out already).
It will most likely stack up against the SDC the same as other high frequency VLF's do now. It will keep up & may even be better due to discrimination etc. in ground that will allow it's use. As ground gets more mineralised I'd expect the SDC to shine as it does now.
It's not a replacement for any PI gold detector or specifically the SDC.
I'd expect it to do better overseas than here.
I'd still like to play with one :D

Would be nice to run one over that small nuggie patch we go to. Now that it's pretty well cleaned out it would be interesting to see if the 1000 could ping anything the SDC's and Zed's have missed. Some of that shale is pretty mineralised and makes the GPX's groan, would be a good test spot for the 1000 just to see if it could handle it.

Will be interesting to see if it finds a place in OZ, MLs history has very few duds, none I know on their gold MD side other then some garbage bin lids(18" SD coil). The buggers know how to market, they`ve got us cackling and chaffing at the bit for sure. That frequency spread "hint" tis a good lure has got me in.

Heatho said:
mbasko said:
It's predominantly being marketed for Africa.
It's a 45khz VLF detector. The frequency spread technology sounds interesting (18-71khz) if not similar to how other VLF detectors are tuned optimally to one frequency but can change frequency by changing coils, switching freq. etc.
It's replacing the Minelab Eureka Gold in the current line up of detectors (the Eureka Gold has begun a phase out already).
It will most likely stack up against the SDC the same as other high frequency VLF's do now. It will keep up & may even be better due to discrimination etc. in ground that will allow it's use. As ground gets more mineralised I'd expect the SDC to shine as it does now.
It's not a replacement for any PI gold detector or specifically the SDC.
I'd expect it to do better overseas than here.
I'd still like to play with one :D

Would be nice to run one over that small nuggie patch we go to. Now that it's pretty well cleaned out it would be interesting to see if the 1000 could ping anything the SDC's and Zed's have missed. Some of that shale is pretty mineralised and makes the GPX's groan, would be a good test spot for the 1000 just to see if it could handle it.
Yep be interesting to see how a VLF would go there. Discrimination would be somewhat useful but a lot of junk is still non ferrous.
This frequency spread has me interested. More here from Andy Sabisch:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?27,2346279,2346279#msg-2346279

New Product GOLD MONSTER 1000 Coming Soon!

We are pleased to announce that the GOLD MONSTER 1000 detector will be available soon. The GOLD MONSTER 1000 turns beginners into experts with fully automatic operation in an easy-to-use, high performance detector.

The GOLD MONSTER 1000 comes with a choice of coils, battery options and shaft configurations. If you are looking for super sensitive gold performance at a great price, then this is the detector you've been waiting for!

Features:

Fully automatic operation
Extra sensitive VLF performance
Highly adaptable
2 search coils included
Easy quick start
Watch the GOLD MONSTER 1000

http://www.minelab.com/anz/customer-care/product-notices?article=305146

I like that it turns beginners like me into experts just the detector I need!
Martin said:
New Product GOLD MONSTER 1000 Coming Soon!

We are pleased to announce that the GOLD MONSTER 1000 detector will be available soon. The GOLD MONSTER 1000 turns beginners into experts with fully automatic operation in an easy-to-use, high performance detector.

The GOLD MONSTER 1000 comes with a choice of coils, battery options and shaft configurations. If you are looking for super sensitive gold performance at a great price, then this is the detector you've been waiting for!

Features:

Fully automatic operation
Extra sensitive VLF performance
Highly adaptable
2 search coils included
Easy quick start
Watch the GOLD MONSTER 1000

http://www.minelab.com/anz/customer-care/product-notices?article=305146

Well when they release it in a couple of months we will see how good it is, I have waited ever since ML stopped making the Musketeer Advantage for them to make another single frequency machine, I never liked the Idea of the X-terra because of the way you have to change coils to switch frequencies, So I have high hopes for the GM1000.

John.

It sounds interesting & for an experienced operator who has found plenty of gold & has area's it would suit & where discrim would be great, it would most likely be a great unit.
Let's not forget that ML aren't making this for us !!!!! they are making it to maximise profit over a large variable market! & to also line the pockets of their dealers.

I'm sure there are some great dealers out there & one has been mentioned in this thread.
From my experience from chatting to a lot of very green new comers at club day's & also in the field, once a potential customer walks in the door of a ML dealership wanting a "Gold Detector" they are shown the top of the range GPZ7000 then the GPX5000 then SDC2300 then GPX4500 continuing on down to the VLF's to the Exterra, ALL dealers know that to seriously find gold without getting disgruntled you really need a PI unit, but there are a lot of dealers who will sell anything to a customer & talk up it's capability just to get a sale & to be quite honest this is just another avenue for them to do that!!

All these customers who buy the cheapest they can afford usually quit the hobby or return to buy a PI unit or GPZ, I know that dealers are there to make a living but if they were to lay down the facts properly to customers they would build a better client base.

MHO
Lee

Like many other VLF brands I am sure that if ML has given it the power and a good ground balance system that it will do the deed, No VLF is ever going to match a PI for all out depth but they are lethal at finding the Gold that PI's miss.

John.

Most all my nugget detecting trips I take both a PI and a VLF detector along, more times than not I have found gold with my Gold Bug 2 when things are lean in an area, due to the age of the Gold bug 2, older technology, the manual ground balancing, etc I am very interested in a more modern VLF detector to add to my arsenal. As long as it can match the GB2 on ability with tiny gold I would be very happy to own a fully automatic VLF. In the alkali deserts I hunt I end up changing ground balance every couple feet with my Gold bug 2 so I can maintain a decent threshold, this gets old fast when hunting for hours.

mxt sniper said:
Most all my nugget detecting trips I take both a PI and a VLF detector along, more times than not I have found gold with my Gold Bug 2 when things are lean in an area, due to the age of the Gold bug 2, older technology, the manual ground balancing, etc I am very interested in a more modern VLF detector to add to my arsenal. As long as it can match the GB2 on ability with tiny gold I would be very happy to own a fully automatic VLF. In the alkali deserts I hunt I end up changing ground balance every couple feet with my Gold bug 2 so I can maintain a decent threshold, this gets old fast when hunting for hours.

Yeah I am looking forward to this Minelab, Very Much.

I see you use a lot of the Detech Coils ? how do they handle your ground.

Yes quite a fan of the smaller Detech coils, they are a marvel, exact pinpointing, they are the most sensitive coils I use on my MXT, and they run quiet in the alkali desert as well. I rarely use the SEF, its great for ghost town hunts, but I use the Excellerators all the time. The 6" is my favorite.

Hoping to hear something new on the Monster 1000 today as its the first of March, so far nothing on the websites from Minelab. I did read one thing was not so good, a 1/8" headphone jack. I have adapaters but prefer the 1/4" jack on a detector for strength.

mxt sniper said:
Yes quite a fan of the smaller Detech coils, they are a marvel, exact pinpointing, they are the most sensitive coils I use on my MXT, and they run quiet in the alkali desert as well. I rarely use the SEF, its great for ghost town hunts, but I use the Excellerators all the time. The 6" is my favorite.

Hoping to hear something new on the Monster 1000 today as its the first of March, so far nothing on the websites from Minelab. I did read one thing was not so good, a 1/8" headphone jack. I have adapaters but prefer the 1/4" jack on a detector for strength.

\yeah I prefer the 1/4" jack too, but I think it should be ok, ML do give their products a good workout before we get out hands on them, So fingers crossed,

My favourite Excellerator is the 14x10.

John.

John, Ya, I am hoping this new detector will have enough new tech to it to replace my aging Gold Bug 2, is no fun manual ground balancing all the time. Am hoping there is some new tech to this new 1000 machine and its not just a standard nugget detector like the GMT, etc. Thats been the trouble with all the latest vlf nugget detectors in the last few yrs, just redone old tech. We need that new form of ground balancing Fisher has been talking about with the CZX automatic nugget detector they are building now.
I will not be buying a new VLF nugget detector til May or so, give Fisher time to come out with their new CXZ maybe, if they don't I may give this Minelab Gold Monster a try.

Wow, 14x10 excellerator, thats a large one, around here due to all the people trash in the places i hunt, I have to stick with small coils. Most the good stuff in the parks around here is in the first 5" of soil anyway so depth is not a problem. Out in the desert I have found that the sef 8x6 does not pick up the tiny gold very well so I stick with the 4.5dd or 6"dd excelerators for that if running the MXT.

Latest posts