Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any info on using the 2300 on the beach. Both wet and dry sand.
Thinking of having a go on my local Beach

There's a lot of junk to dig on a beach Trev, the place It would excel would be in the water for rings but I don't know if I'd put an sdc in salt water if I owned one it would upset me :lol: :lol: I've noticed a few on PA has given it a shot to find deeeep cans and junk all day
All depends on the beach and the luck of the draw, could be a good lesson for trying to learn how to pick junk from small solids at least
Make sure you pack your digging arms :lol: :lol:

Switch on, noise cancel, ground balance and go pretty much, you may need to switch it into the salt mode though. I've used mine on the beach, as B5 said, you'll dig plenty of junk but hey I dig nearly all targets on the beach with my CTX anyway except obvious iron targets.

Sdc is a great beach detector wet or dry sand. But like B5MECH said I would not put mine in salt water but it's the owners choice I guess. I did score a silver in wet sand at 470 mm or there abouts so yep their good either way. Cheers.

Edit spellllinf agin :rolleyes:

Have used mine on the beach many times ...................... my understanding is being the whole machine is 100% waterproof to 3m if the water can't get in then neither can the salt. Have never had any issues the only thing you need to do is make sure you remove and clean under skid plate after use as collects heaps of sand. That night just take it in the shower with you and give it a good wash down and your good to go ;)

Bogger said:
Have used mine on the beach many times ...................... my understanding is being the whole machine is 100% waterproof to 3m if the water can't get in then neither can the salt. Have never had any issues the only thing you need to do is make sure you remove and clean under skid plate after use as collects heaps of sand. That night just take it in the shower with you and give it a good wash down and your good to go ;)

Spot on ! Just make sure you have closed the battery compartment properly and a lube of the sealing ring occasionally with a little vaseline to keep it in good nick does not hurt :)

I don't think you should use Vaseline on seal. It is petroleum based and will eventually damage the seal. You should be using a silicone based gel it will not affect the seal. You can get it at swimming pool supply shops it is used on rubber seals which are regularly dismantled in swimming pool filter set ups.

GaryO said:
Does anyone know if a 3D printer could make a coil cover ? And wether the material used would be tougher then the normal plastic used.

There are 3D printers to print metals, yes tougher they can be.

Its great to purchase coil covers and likely a heap cheaper than 3D printing them.
That is okay if the cover is commercially available, if not then even at the greater cost of printing could be worth it.

It seems that everyone considers it to be cheap and quick to 3D print.
Your cost is not the printer, but in the consumables that you have to purchase.
Then it is the time to setup your design, and prototype, modify and print again, things are rarely correct at first print
and that could take hours per print too.

A lot of tech is cheap to buy but expensive to use - take cheap laser printers $35 with a 'starter' toner but a new toner will cost $70+ for a FULL toner.
I have researched the topic and at this time 3D printers are not on my list because of consumables and no real need.

Grab a roll of 0.8 or 1mm Poly carbonate sheet from Bunnings. Cut with a pair of tinsnips(Wiss snips)to say 5mm radius bigger then coil. Roughen up poly carb and adhere to coil with silastic. It will last for yonks is light tough and with the SDC you can cut it of size that protects the knuckle. Makes a brilliant coil cover for 19 Z coil. Just make sure you remove the protective plastic film on side you wish to glue.

old hand said:
Gold Search Australia has a range of heavy duty skid plates regards john :)

Yes that was what my link was to ;) but sadly have always found them to be a little expensive on most items and hence my mention you could probably get them at a better price :eek: Dollar saved is as good as a dollar earned ;)
Phase Tech stock them and being also a forum sponsor and is always happy to help others even if they don't purchase from him ;) I give him my business

Latest posts