16 year old needs help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi I'm Mark and I'm 16 I need some help with my panning technec and a river or some where I can find some thing I'm not after your best spots I'm just asking for some spots where I might get some thing small in the Yarra valley I'm got a mate who I've been going out with and we are both just beginners if some one could please help me that would be great I'm not going to tell every one where the spot is I would just like some help thanks again Mark

Hi Mark,I can't help you with where to go,but if you click on the little magnifying glass icon underneath the forum heading and type in Yarra Valley,this will bring up all posts that mention Yarra Valley.Also Google is your friend.Here is a link to a how to pan video.Hope this helps.
[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/OrhsjVH-LO8[/video]

Sorry Mark,video didn't work for some reason.Just go to YouTube and type in gold panning,plenty of informative videos to keep you busy for a while.Check out Walnliz's videos.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4326

If you have no luck here see if there's any clubs in your area or a PMAV branch?

As said above watch some YouTube. One way to work on your technique is to practice at home. Get some various sized small bits of lead & paint them bright colours. Mix them up with some gravel/dirt & practice keeping them all in the pan. (count how many you put in the mix so you know what you should be keeping).
You can flatten sinkers etc. & cut small bits up. The smaller the bits you can keep in the pan the better.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/JWciIvKqAIQ[/video]

Great work WalnLiz :D

Both of you are fantastic!!
Thankyou for sharing your knowledge and helping other prospectors with their journey ;)
Keep it up!!!
:)

Hijacking 10 other posts wont help you.
Get out there yourself and have a look.
Then come back here and show us your results.

G'day,

I don't know the area but maybe you could try asking the local rangers. They could tell you where you are allowed to dig so you don't get into trouble.

You would still need to find the gold yourself though but that is more fun than finding gold because someone told you where it was. The more you get out there and dig, the more you will learn.

The video is a good start for learning how to pan but the only way to learn properly is to practice until your fingers bleed and then practice some more. I used an old bath tub when I started earlier this year and I panned for hours and hours every day for a month until I got it right. Using flattened pieces of lead is a great tip from mbasko.

If you were closer I'd give you some tips in person.

I hope you find a big nugget soon.

Maltisau said:
G'day,

I don't know the area but maybe you could try asking the local rangers. They could tell you where you are allowed to dig so you don't get into trouble.

You would still need to find the gold yourself though but that is more fun than finding gold because someone told you where it was. The more you get out there and dig, the more you will learn.

The video is a good start for learning how to pan but the only way to learn properly is to practice until your fingers bleed and then practice some more. I used an old bath tub when I started earlier this year and I panned for hours and hours every day for a month until I got it right. Using flattened pieces of lead is a great tip from mbasko.

If you were closer I'd give you some tips in person.

I hope you find a big nugget soon.

Thanks man good tips

I'm also curious what's the best way to find or get to bed rock because I've herd that that's the best way to get the gold or that's where it sits or something like that

Dig dude! Keep in mind that a lot of bedrock has been swept clean by early miners so you may be looking at going for flood gold only in the top 40cm or down to an impervious layer. There's nothing wrong with getting to bedrock either if your panning or research is saying gold is down there. You also want to consider where you want to dig to bedrock as the gold will be trapped by natural riffle beds etc. and based on where you are hitting bedrock where should the gold lie.
Jon

If your in the valley there's no big rivers you are legally allowed to dig. Do you have your miners right? The info is on it with a list of exempted rivers which you cannot dig. Depending where you are, you may not find bedrock, merely a clay bottom which gold won't penetrate either and gets stuck.

You will have to wait a few weeks before you can dig much - being all flooded out doesn't help like it is at the mo
Miners right explains your basic rules of what you can and cannot do. By ignoring the miners rules you could cause damage that you could get fined for. There's laws, rules, etc to follow with it all. We can't just dig wherever.

Just out of curiosity where have you tried so far to look?

The gem club is open saturdays and wednesdays at the wesburn park hall, feel free to drop in.

Latest posts