Nugget Finder 15 inch NF EVO coil

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like Adelaide Hills!! Emi varies a lot. Also moisture content changes how your detector reacts to the soil quite a bit so you're always tweaking settings.

With the 14x9 in hot ground with bad emi, try: very slow motion, quiet audio, Rx Gain 7, Stabilizer 13. Let me know if that helps. Also don't push your Target Volume too high.

Nenad, I was in some hot ground up here recently, and couldnt get a staedy threshold.
I started with stab 9 and RX 9.
no good.
ended up steady with stab 5 and rx 10, threshold kind of changed in sound , almost like an organ or synthasier, but was steady and level, still picked up tiny bits of iron near the surface, am I setting this right, or could i have adjusted things a better way?

Where can I get skid plate tape from? Is just a product I can get from bunnings or an electrical store?
cheers dave.

Thanks Belladonna.
took my 15" spoke out today. Crappy dry season after a crappy wet.....36 degrees, sweated like pervert at a wiggles concert.
Worked really hard, low and slow, forced myself to slow down. Found some promising ground, looked great, heaps of old diggings, but also lots of detector holes. Found the usual boot tacks, bits of old sieve and tin etc. The spoke ran quiet and steady. Played with a .5 piece to see how the depth went....was pretty surprised at the lack of depth on the air test, probably no more than 3 inches, and only over the very front of the coil. Was in enhance, normal was to noisy and hard to get stable.
Walked about 2 km from my car and found a bloke working the opposite end I was. He was using a 5000 with a 12" evo. He had found 8 small bits last week in the area, but nothing today. We worked the area together for about 2 hours for zip, but I made a new mate, so thats gold!

davent said:
Nenad, I was in some hot ground up here recently, and couldnt get a staedy threshold.
I started with stab 9 and RX 9.
no good.
ended up steady with stab 5 and rx 10, threshold kind of changed in sound , almost like an organ or synthasier, but was steady and level, still picked up tiny bits of iron near the surface, am I setting this right, or could i have adjusted things a better way?

If your unit is running more stable with a lower Stabilizer and one point higher on your Rx Gain, then it seems more like EMI that may be causing the issues rather than hot ground. Are you using Very Slow motion? That can help cut out a fair bit of EMI chatter.

Also how are you tuning, Auto or Manual? One trick is to set the Motion setting to Fast (this lets the machine hear a lot of noise), do your Auto Tune, then when it's done drop the Motion back to Very Slow.

Cheers, will give that a go.
Use auto tune, then manual adjust after, 3 maybe 4 clicks, sometimes, just auto.
really don, t think its emi. Not much around in this area, open highway, cattle station, not much else, no residential at all for 80km or so.

Dave northern Australia is notorious for EMI - you don't need anything around for it as it can come from natural sources like storms/lightning, the sun/solar flares & even northern lights. It can be 100's km away & you can be scratching your head wondering what's going on with no obvious signs around.

Ok, cheers mbasko.
I suppose there is also the Jindalee over the horizon radar that I just remebered too!

hi guys was interesting reading your posts,last month I used a 12 inch evo coil on my 4500 and could not quieten it down and it was impossible to use I was in the Dunolly area. anyone have the same hassle also I'm keen to see if the new 15 inch evo will work any better than the 12 inch on my 4500 any hints
thnx. Rick.

I have similar problems with the evo, s up here on the 4500.
Try setting the stabaliser down to 7, if thats no good, down to 5.
I was out yesterday, really windy, start of the day I could use the stab on 9, but still got the odd " was that a signal or just noise? "
Met up with a mate who runs a 7000, and he has similar problems as well, it just means you need to be more patient, and investigate the sounds, my mate got a signal, and called me over, I had a 14 x 9 evo on and got a sound, I called it for a nail or similar junk, because thats what id been digging in that area, and it sounded no different to me. It was pretty deep though, maybe 30cm, and it turned out to be a nice .96gm nugget. Bit later he got another target, I could not detect it at all, just sounded like emi noise, and just a slight beep, and I couldnt distiguish it from the racket that id been listening to all day, it was a .26. If I didnt have the emi/ground noise, I could have realised it was a target. No matter how quiet I get the coil, I will always get the odd beep here and there, some times seconds apart, sometimes good breaks of 30 seconds or more, but I never get a constant even, uniterupted steady hum of the threshold, and that is why im not finding the small stuff with the evo, s. The 5000 users get tit to run dead steady most of the time.

having said all that, even with emi and ground noise, constant annoying chatter, if there is a small , shallow bit, the evo sings out loud, and there is trouble identifying a target, its with the small stuff, a little deeper I miss.
The 15 spoke runs a bit quieter, but looses some sensitivity on the real small stuff.
For the record, my mate with the 7000 scored 6 nuggets to my nil......1 x .96, 1, x .26 and the rest were between .3 and .6 but too deep for me to get a clear signal on, I want a Z! But its gunna take a while to pay for one at this rate lol!

thnx Dave I have no probs with my 17 x11 nugget finder or 15 x 12 commander coils I actually do pretty good just thought the 15 evo I might do a bit better just a ta
d greedy lol good hunting mate and thnx for your feedback cheers Rick......I have found 90% of my gold with my old 15 x 12 commander heavy as coil.

Hey Shiftyrick, if I'm having troubles with bad EMI and reducing the RX gain and Stabilizer isn't helping to much I change my Audio Type to Quiet from Normal.

thnx Digs tried all that but nothing helped changed from the Evo to old faithfull and pulled a 9 grammer and a 6 grammer so was hoping for better response from the new 15 inch spoked Evo

Will try mine on audio quiet next trip. Do you loose depth or sensitivity when the stab is cranked to 5 or 7, and same with audio quiet, do I loose the advantages of the flat wound coil?

1466081326_img_0232.jpg
1x9 , 1 x6 , 1;7 for the two small ones

I think you will find when in audio quiet you won't have to run your stab so hard.
Yep, some sensitivity is lost. But better then trying to run a machine that won't stop chirping.

davent said:
Will try mine on audio quiet next trip. Do you loose depth or sensitivity when the stab is cranked to 5 or 7, and same with audio quiet, do I loose the advantages of the flat wound coil?

If you run Quiet audio and a low Stabilizer you will lose a bit of depth. Keep on Normal Audio and Stabilizer 10 and get your Rx Gain set first.

Latest posts