Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys on that. Yes, I have read Scroungers posts, interesting & informative.
The GP's sound good too.
It's something to give us food for thought.
Thanks again.
Cinken

Thumbs up from me

I havn't walked over a big one yet, or they have been to deep for the SDC. A GPX will certainly punch deeper and it will pick up small near-surface nuggets but not as effectively as the SDC.

The simplicity and consistency is a big attraction to a lot of people and a bungy strap/harness can be used to reduce fatigue.

Lots of posts to read through on the forum, good luck

1463031337_image.jpg

cinken said:
Hi Guys,

we are toying with the idea of buying a 2300 for the wife.
Has anyone actually purchased one and had positive results in finding nuggets no matter the size.
Are they easy to use ?
Would appreciate some advice.
Cinken

Excellent unit and even if you purchase another detector or have another detector it's still great to have ................. folds up enough to keep under the seat, you can probably be detecting within 2 minutes of taking it out of car and another thing I love about it is the complete machine is 100% waterproof so swamped by a wave at the beach or caught in a down pour in the field it's no problem. Have actually had a bag made up for mine and I carry it like a quiver across my back when heading a fair way out from the car so that when I find an area that the big coils can't get into it's SDC time. ;)
ps Oh and rest assured it finds gold and gold and gold :D

Well fellas thanks to you I'm now $3600 poorer ( but happily so ).
We've ordered the SDC2300 with a few treats chucked in, and it should be here next week.
I think we've made a good choice as we did a lot of research.
Thanks again for your input.
Cinken

Congrats you won't regret it ...................... the blue baby excels in what it does.
:)
ps Did you get it thru CWPS by any chance ?

Thread grave dig:

I noticed when my coil jerks over quartz or rocks I could hear the batteries shuffling around inside the machine.
I could hear this easily over headphones on full noise running sens 5 and threshold max .
Although sdc hasn't shut off, the sound of the loose batteries was doing my head in..
Anyone else noticed this?
Thinking heat shrink might be the go.
Reeko

Stick tape around them I used duct tape 1 wrap. I've got 4 sets all taped no issues now. Thought about stretching the spring didn't though. Imo it's the cause of the issue, not heavy enough/quality of the spring steel is poor. A bit of a P155 poor effort on Minelabs part given the dollars placed on the counter.

Heat shrink would probably sort it out also, might even be the better option.

As to the switching off issue, mine used to do it, now I'm just very careful when I put the battery cap on squarely and it has never happened since.

My plan with the SDC batteries was to put thin walled heat shrink on them as a permanent measure. As a "short term" measure I put some coil tape around them. Near on 18 months later when I sold the SDC the original coil tape was still on them :8 - never did get aroug to doing that job but the tape worked well :D

The small/narrow + nipples on the Powerizers doesn't help the spring sit on there.

The AccuPower batteries I stock have a much wider flatter nipple, so the spring has a more true contact area. Never bother with tape, and have never had a shut down.

Righto so the general consensus is, use tape heatshrink or Phase Techs batteries put the cap on square or stretch the springs. All the above work and everyone's happy problem solved.

I hope someone at Minelab reads this topic it might give them a few trouble shooting tips to include in their owners manual should they choose to do a version 2, doubt it though. The machine should never have been released for sale until this problem was resolved imo. I haven't raised it with them and couldn't be bothered to be honest. Pretty sure I'd only receive a heap of spin doctoring. Would have come up during field testing you'd think just the commercial age we live in.

RM Outback said:
Righto so the general consensus is, use tape heatshrink or Phase Techs batteries put the cap on square or stretch the springs. All the above work and everyone's happy problem solved.

I hope someone at Minelab reads this topic it might give them a few trouble shooting tips to include in their owners manual should they choose to do a version 2, doubt it though. The machine should never have been released for sale until this problem was resolved imo. I haven't raised it with them and couldn't be bothered to be honest. Pretty sure I'd only receive a heap of spin doctoring. Would have come up during field testing you'd think just the commercial age we live in.
It's not a machine issue - like PhaseTech says its an issue with some C sized battery terminals. Tenergy batteries also have a larger nipple & I didn't tape them either + they were fine.
Putting the cap on level/square + securely helps immensely as Heatho says. I've witnessed people in the field with it not on or secured correctly & that wouldn't be helping at all. See here:
http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=243471

mbasko said:
RM Outback said:

It's not a machine issue - like PhaseTech says its an issue with some C sized battery terminals. Tenergy batteries also have a larger nipple & I didn't tape them either + they were fine.
Putting the cap on level/square + securely helps immensely as Heatho says. I've witnessed people in the field with it not on or secured correctly & that wouldn't be helping at all. See here:
http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=243471

Glad to hear changing batteries with a larger terminal worked. I didn't receive and wasn't offered batteries with larger terminal when I bought the 23 and handed over my hard earned money. So in my book the issue is with Minelab and that said the issue is with the machine. That's why this forum is so good you get an honest answer/opinion from people with the right knowledge. Some people are practical and others are not. Lucky a bit of tape or batteries with larger terminal is a quick and easy fix, very lucky for Minelab.

I tend to agree that there is nothing wrong with the machine. Blame the $3500 machine or the cheap $20 batteries with small nipple. Maybe minelab should have supplied it with no batteries at all and it would have saved them a lot of negative comments......

Accupower Batteries and has never faulted since, and my SDC is heavy on power ............................... it's all the high pitched squealing it does as it finds targets :D

Latest posts