Minelab detector service and customer service

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All,
is it worth sending your GPX 5000 regulary to Minelab for servicing, or every couple of years ... Bards ...

You only need to send it if it's got a problem. They don't need any regular or periodic servicing. There would be older model SD/GP's around still working perfectly after 10 or more years that have never been returned to Minelab. Sending them in without an apparent issue will only increase their workload + cost you money.

Hi Guys I need to get a tune up on a mine lab detected any advice at where to take it I live QLD.

If its not modded, you really cant go past Minelab themselves?
If its modded, then Ishmael maybe?

just thought I would give minelab a big wrap. I broke the handle on my 4500 a couple of weeks ago and was going to buy a new one, but thought I would give minelab a try first, so I rang them and they said just send it back and they would replace it. I sent it back last week and received it yesterday complete with new grip
not bad to warranty a 7 yo machine. great service and thanks guys.

Yes have to agree .................. they replaced an SDC I had with completely new unit that the dealer only wanted to have fixed (was 2 weeks old) Also missed out on a bulk deal with the Z and SDC by weeks then on a second machine I purchased missed bulk deal again .................... they sorted and rectified the difference for me when approached regards the situation. Once again when the dealer I purchased from didn't want to know about it. :rolleyes:
Minelab the company I have found address a situation and sort it ...................... 10 out of 10 with my dealings with the company and would buy another of their products without hesitation.
:)

I have an unmodified SD2200D which possibly requires a repair due to the facts when going through the start procedure as per the manual holding the machine horizontally and swinging it through an arc of about 180 degrees it is not picking up any EMI before ground balancing. It is picking up ferrous materials and brass bullet shells and shotgun cartridges. The only sounds that I get on the start up procedure is the threshold tone. I am using a Detech 15 x 8 WSS DD coil and also the standard Minelab 10"mono coil with the same results I expected to get some interference at home with power lines all around. I also had the same results down in the Whipstick forest near Bendigo I have contacted Minelab in SA and was told they no longer supported this model and should upgrade. Can anybody advise me on who to contact to have this machine checked out, I live in Newcastle NSW. Any information would be appreciated. Cheers.

You could try to email Mechanic here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/profile.php?id=3034
There are people who could do various repairs but I'm not sure about realignment? Mechanic would know I'd reckon if you can contact him. He doesn't come here a lot but bobs up on 4umer from time to time.
Ismael Jones (Minelab Mods) might be worth a shot too.
http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla3/index.php/contact-us

That's a shame that Minelab have dropped the 2200 from service support. They were doing them still over the last couple of years but it was part/s dependent so unfortunately inevitable. Still a few members here using them with success.

Have a look at this Video on youtube ,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhbJBJS9PI

To be honest i dont think there is anything wrong with your machine , from memory when tuning ive had times ive not really picked up any significant noisey direction to tune out . Anyway watch that vid and make sure you are doing it right and we can go from there. :cool:

Gaz

I was thinking the same to Gary but when I re-read it the OP said "expected to get some interference at home with power lines all around" so assumed it was tested in town.
I would expect a fair amount of interference in town or some at the least. I've never been able to fully tune any Minelab PI in town - they've all gotten the yips.
If your heading out somewhere maybe a member could meet up & suss it out?

mbasko said:
I was thinking the same to Gary but when I re-read it the OP said "expected to get some interference at home with power lines all around" so assumed it was tested in town.
I would expect a fair amount of interference in town or some at the least. I've never been able to fully tune any Minelab PI in town - they've all gotten the yips.
If your heading out somewhere maybe a member could meet up & suss it out?

In suburbia the interference is generally everywhere you point it so there is often no one particular direction that stands out , then when u go bush if there is no power lines or things close by you may still not find a particular distinct direction to tune out.
Id be just letting it tune out in any direction and ground balance as normal and if its running stable and detecting ok i wouldnt worry to much about it. :cool:

Thanks everybody for their assistance it is greatly appreciated as everybody suspected there is nothing wrong with the machine. I was advised last night to try a little experiment with it by starting it up and turning on my tv then approach it swinging the coil. I finally picked up some EMI at just on 4" from the screen so it appears the machine is fine. I did find loose terminal connections on the battery which I replaced with a new item even though the old battery was still indicating 6v on my multi. I also took the machine outdoors into the yard and tried it on some lead 3gm's which it picked up OK and again no EMI indications so I'm happy that there is no faults except for the operator possibly again thanks everybody.

Latest posts