DIY Gold pick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
1458544218_20160321_173258.jpg
This isn't much of a DIY Project but the result I think was pretty good. I decided to make a pick for my son so I trotted off to the local scrap metal yard and purchased an old leaf spring. I shaped one end as the "pick" end with the 4" angle grinder using the offcuts to expand the spring width into a flare, welded a 3/4" pipe to the spring where the bolt bolted the springs together and then added a piece of plastic pipe to the steel pipe for some padding to the steel handle. Its turned out great. I'll include a photo when I take one. Cost? $5 for the spring a bit a pipe from the shed and a bit of plastic pipe also from the shed [And I should get at least 5 picks from the 5 leaf spring].

It was so good I decided to make myself one too.
1458544258_20160321_173432.jpg

Yep Limpalot, I get that they are not a pick to flog into something eagerly but to use as a rubble loosener, the toothpick end is terrific. The scarper end is terrific and turn it on its side and it hauls out huge amounts of dirt and gravels. Probably not perfect but then no DIY object is, is it?

nice work, the metal handles are not to bad, i got a couple with 8mm thick leaf spring head on them and the bit more weight soaks up the energy and puts it through the rock, rather then through ya teeth lol..

buy tennis racquet grip from rebel sport, has spongy foam in it, 10 bucks i think

I don't think the pick will be used in the parks though, a plumber I was talking to the other day said that the regs for water pipes is only 200 - 300mm under the surface. I'd hate to stick the pick through a water pipe in a park somewhere. [Actually, done it once and had to bolt off to the local hardware store to get a fitting to repair it. Plastic pipe - the easy alternative but so easy to rupture.]

Great work Daz. Plan to make one or two myself, but a great tip to use an old leaf spring. Will try that. ;)