Whites detectors EMI information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re running the cable without twists around he shaft. I have also heard this in regards to the TDI. Mine sometimes warbles for lack of a better description, and it is possible that its cable related as well, will do similar to mine, however, my cable seems quite long, what do you suggest I do with the excess cable length?

Thanks for the advice im getting on this thread, although I know its not intended for me, and a big sorry for ozzii, I don't intend to hi jack your thread.

dave

davent said:
re running the cable without twists around he shaft. I have also heard this in regards to the TDI. Mine sometimes warbles for lack of a better description, and it is possible that its cable related as well, will do similar to mine, however, my cable seems quite long, what do you suggest I do with the excess cable length?

Thanks for the advice im getting on this thread, although I know its not intended for me, and a big sorry for ozzii, I don't intend to hi jack your thread.

dave

Once you get the cable above the clamp you can wind it around the shaft, ok

john

1449181371_gmt2.png

What I said broadband EMI I did not mean mobile. Any electrical equipment that produce arcing or high voltage discharge will emit broadband EMI. Meaning that such a EMI will consist of very wide range of frequencies, from low to high. That's why is not possible to completely eliminate such a interference by adjusting frequency on the detector.
Examples of this EMI are arc welders, electric motors that use brushes and commutator, tracking discharge on high voltage insulators (buzzing noise you sometimes hear when you are near high voltage lines) and of course the Lightining.
To my experience the Mobil phone does not affect my detector.
As for original mods on SPP, I wrote it down and put it in safe place. Problem is I can't bloody remember where I put it. Senior moments, brain farts . When I find it I will let you know.
Some DD coils can be made to work well with SPP. Minelab 5 x 10 DD coil work pretty good if you tape 2 x 2 cm about 1 mm thick bit of leadership to the top and center of the coil. Miner John is now selling DD coils designed for TDI detectors.
Karl

KarlS said:
What I said broadband EMI I did not mean mobile. Any electrical equipment that produce arcing or high voltage discharge will emit broadband EMI. Meaning that such a EMI will consist of very wide range of frequencies, from low to high. That's why is not possible to completely eliminate such a interference by adjusting frequency on the detector.
Examples of this EMI are arc welders, electric motors that use brushes and commutator, tracking discharge on high voltage insulators (buzzing noise you sometimes hear when you are near high voltage lines) and of course the Lightining.
To my experience the Mobil phone does not affect my detector.
As for original mods on SPP, I wrote it down and put it in safe place. Problem is I can't bloody remember where I put it. Senior moments, brain farts . When I find it I will let you know.
Some DD coils can be made to work well with SPP. Minelab 5 x 10 DD coil work pretty good if you tape 2 x 2 cm about 1 mm thick bit of leadership to the top and center of the coil. Miner John is now selling DD coils designed for TDI detectors.
Karl

Yeah I realised the Broadband you spoke about wasn't the phone & internet type, it just made me think about my phone being in my shirt pocket & got me thinking it might cause some interference.

I've heard about others having success with DD coils on the SPP, might be worth looking into later on, although the next coil would be the 6x10, just not sure about folded & normal mono coils now after being told a normal mono gets more depth but a folded is more sensitive to smaller gold, but I recently read a post from a person who designed or helped design the folded mono & it had something written about it getting more depth than a normal mono, so if thats the case then a folded gets more depth & has greater sensitivity to small gold.

davent said:

dave

Its all good Dave, all threads are for everyone I think, as long as people get the needed help then it doesn't worry me who posts in a thread I have started, questions other people ask also help me so post away mate.

These are the clips I got, they were recommended to me by Brian, they are really good & well worth getting, I got 2 packs & used them all just to be safe,haha.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Coil-Cab...hash=item2a5ce1cfae:m:mEWfRYmODkOO1rjYimXaPVQ

Karl

That should be 1 mm thick piece of lead, not leadership. Bloody computers, artificial intelligence my ass.

Also I personally prefer DD coils over other designs. Just my personal preference becouse of better pinpointing and better ground coverage and the generally run quieter .
Karl

stalker said:
ozziii said:
Here's how the cable is done, I got the clips & ran it straight up the shaft after speaking to Brian from Bairnsdale Prospecting.
I ran the cable up the back of the shaft to protect it from getting hit by bushes & branches etc when in tight places.
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/ozziii4/Detecting%20Stuff/12308382_10208269728523653_306473427604857871_n_zps7pkbqroq.jpg

ahh the razorback man ... im from bairnsdale . ;) .

Yep thats him, good bloke & very helpful.

Having a quick read over your Topic .. I would like to pass to you how I would go about resolving / diagnosing your problem.

1 .. Have you checked and cleaned the cable connector that joins your coil to your detector (both male and female sides), it is a common fault causing issue.

2 .. If you have a skid plate on your coil ... take it off and remove any dust or dirt that may have entered.

3 .. Try another coil that you know "works" on your detector... but make sure you did clean the connector as in point..1

OK .. if the fault is still present after those steps then you have a detector problem ... if the fault clears you can then point your finger at the coil you have... it may have either lose windings internally, a faulty solder joint or the connection onto the faraday shield found in a lot of coils might be parting at the anchor point.

Cheers.

Thanks DW, I'm pretty sure it was mainly my settings, have got it running better now that I am taking more time & being more careful with settings & also not trying to run the gain as high when there seems to be EMI around.
Its normally cleaned after use unless its had very little dust etc on it & the coil was pretty new & hasn't had alot of use, although I will remember to check the cable to detector fitting a bit more to make sure it stays clean.
I mainly think it was just me though, not getting the setting right to suit the conditions, has been a bit better lately though.

How does the old coil go?

I know nothing, but you said it bips when the coil contacts grass etc - I read somewhere that can be an internal cable fault???

I think it was more to do with my (lack of) tuning skills of the frequency & gain controls & being in high EMI area's as I seem to be getting it set up better now & its running much smoother. Also the weather may have been causing some EMI as there were days that were overcast with a small amount of rain or there had been or was rain on the way or its been a bit warm & from what I understand it all makes a difference.
I watched a few more youtube video's as well which helped get a better picture of whats going on so that shed some light on things too.
Just need to get out bush more now & get some more practice & experience, got a rake to clean an area before detecting as well so that should help a little hopefully. Some early mornings are needed now.

Latest posts