Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah mate, only got away with it cause I got it for my Dad for Christmas. But until he gets time to go out, we'll, no point it sitting in the cupboard. Even then, he may well be relegated to my 3000.

Stinky Pete is one of our sponsors and he sells Detech gear. I have a Detech 15 X 12 SEF DD Butterfly coil, recommended to me by Jack Lang. Well made piece of gear..yet to try due to ill health.
Try SP and see how you go.
Jaros :p

Thanks everyone, can't wait to hit the ground around Christmas, have read good things about the detch coils, so may have to grab a couple for when I'm back in the NT next year. Thanks to all the members who gave me great advice regarding this purchase, know a few spots in the NT where my mate who has never swung a machine nabbed a few ounces with my 3000 and just the start up card. Pretty sure no white man has been there before, so interesting times ahead.

G'day everyone, now I realize that there are probably many archived posts for this topic, and I am aware that coil choice, ground type and depth, and a lot of other things determine optimal settings. But I am heading to Clermont tomorrow, and was just wondering if the factory settings are a good place to start? This is my first time out with the 4500, and any info would be great. I know that this will be a big learning curve, and I'm sure everyone has their own pet settings, and I,m not looking for someone to hand over their hard earned secrets, just some general ideas. I'll most likely be running a 15/12 mono, and just leave my 3000 with the big dd attached for when I have to ping the deep bits on my soon to be found patch :D Thanks, any replies are much appreciated.

G'day Murph, never been up there [yet] but there is a minelab dealer in the main street,
I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

Hi Murphy I have never detected at Clermont with the 45 it is important to have a stable threshold
settings gain 9-12
stable just below gain eg 9g 8s
audio quiet
target vol 10 -12 if to high it can make det noisy
vol limit 12
SOIL TIMMING enhanced
audio tone to suite your self I like 45
signal 16
response normal
I like to run in fixed and use the green button to ground balance
just run in general search mode
the coil rx M
I hope this helps stable and quiet use heads phone slow coil swing low to the ground regards john :)

Thanks very much for the reply mate, I realize that it's a topic that no one can rightly answer unless they are actually there with my individual machine, it's just such a step up from the 3000 that it's a bit intimidating.

Murphy81 said:
Thanks very much for the reply mate, I realize that it's a topic that no one can rightly answer unless they are actually there with my individual machine, it's just such a step up from the 3000 that it's a bit intimidating.
Your already on the ball, and FP Enhance will find you gold if you walk over it. Adjust things like Volume limit, Audio Tone and target volume to better suit your level of hearing. Remember, on each setting there is a little box/Symbol that tells you that setting is the FP setting should you chose to fiddle and forget where it was set.

Running around in the FP settings is not a handicap, they are programmed into my 4500 under the Deep setting but for general...sounds confusing i know....in other words, i have the Deep settings on the front end cap switch...set the same as if i was in General but they mimic FP...i simply alter my General settings and flick to Deep which are FP settings for General to query a sus target.

Hmm???...i just proof read that... its not looking good is it? :lol: anyway, I know what i mean...its this silly keyboard that makes it look otherwise. :mad:

:D

Hello all
Just upgraded to a gpx 4500 and was just wondering if any one uses any particular settings for large and small
coils ?

Any help would be much appreciated just trying to get my head around these settings lol.

Cheers Russ

Gday mate. Got yourself a ripper of a machine. Got myself one a little over a month ago as well.
To be honest the settings change throughout the day and for each location. I find I can run the detector a little harder timing wise when I have a a bigger coil on. For example a 14" as opposed to an 8.
I think the FP settings are a good place to start at any given time.
The few places I've been detecting have seen me running in enhance for the most part. Occasionally being able to flick to normal for a little added depth however it gets noisy again quickly even with reduced gain and stab. In some cases I have also had to flick to sens smooth with the 8" to try and combat hot ground. In some cases this still wasn't enough, false signals left right and Centre. I don't have this issue with the 14 as it ground balances to a broader range of mineralization due to a larger surface area.
Sorry for the long post I just feel its useful information.
I suggest starting around FP settings in any given timing and adjusting from there.
For example, when I was out last, I ran the 8" mono.
I started in enhance with the gain on 10 and stab on 10 in deep audio on the LCD screen. I had motion on slow and this was working well initially. Started getting noisy due to emi which made me change back to normal audio and drop the gain to 9. I wasn't able to run in normal in this area with the 8" so enhance is the next best thing. I also learnt that enhance is much more sensitive to small stuff than normal or sharp.
So there's a lot to consider settings wise. However I feel the FP settings are a good place to start and you can play from there as you get more confident in your detector and settings.
Hope this helps.

HI Russ the 4500 are a good detector the best advice I can give is just use one coil until you are formilular with the detector the 11 commander mono are a very good coil to start with . Setting front panel enhanced ,fixed ,mono, and g.
Back screen iron reject off, tracking speed medium, responce normal, target volume from 10 to12 the more volume you give it can make the detector noisy, signal I use 18, stabilizer 8, audio tone I am old my hearing is shot so I like low tones 42 is good, audio type normal or quiet , rx have that at 2 below the gain, motion use slow
All detectors are different 4500s the aim is to have a stable threshold this will help to detect small targets and deep targets hope this helps regards john :)

There is a bloke on youtube called the Nugget Magnet who uses one pretty successfully and he posted a video of his settings that he uses in WA. it might be worth a look. His videos are worth watching anyway. Good luck

Hi Russ, I have had a 4500 since they came out. To start off in enhance is the best, keep the stabiliser below 9 and motion as slow. The gain should be 8-9 in noisy ground and up to 12 in quieter ground. 9-11 are the gains I am in most on in moderate ground conditions that are common.

If you search through a number of gold forums you will find settings provided by people like Jonathon porter and other experienced operators for the 4500. Write some of down and try them.

Read the manual and re-read it, and save a custom setting that you can switch to. When you get a mellow target with depth try your custom setting before you dig. Also try audio on quiet maybe, even try switching to sens extra and put the gain down to 8 and see what the difference in the signal is. I.e, test different settings before you dig some targets, this is a good way to come to grips with some of the settings.

Best of luck, my 4500 has paid for itself more then 30 times over, I will never part with it. cheers RDD

As all companies do ; every employee wants to get paid a good wage !!!! ;) ;) got sell stuff to survive ;

Latest posts