Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Low and slow, scrape coil on ground.
You need to conentrate and listen to your machine.
Sometimes its the slight change in pitch. good luck

This may be a dumb question,but why are there not different coils available for the 2300 and the 7000..

Yep no such thing as stupid questions, just questions that you might not have heard the answers to, and sometimes the obvious is overlooked by even the most experienced. Questions are how we all learn. :) Never be afraid to ask.

It would be really interesting to see what a 2300 could achive with a 11inch or 14 inch coil..could it rival big brother on the bigger and deeper nuggets..would be nice if it could...I'm amazed no one has tried..cheers.

Yep I've seen a post on another forum about a bloke who modded an SDC. I think you might experience problems with big coils, but it can be done, he said it worked well enough and found gold......... (shrugging my shoulders) :)

Hey guys. I pulled my spare set of batteries out from the depth of my backpack and i noticed the tops are looking a bit brown around the paper. Almost like they have been burnt.
Are they all leaking or is it from not storing them incorrectly. They were loose in the back back . Possibility rubbing against each other.
Either way i never got to use them and probably shouldn't.
Cant remember what i paid but seems to be a waste.
What do you guys think. Poor handling? or just crappy batteries?
1438845537_img_20150806_18192.jpg

Looks like leakage. Could be from a combination of things but if you got them from Jaycar I'd take them back & show them. They wouldn't be that old would they? Have read issues with other Powertech batteries leaking.
One thing I do with mine is rotate them I.e I have 2 sets & if I'm only doing days trips I use the Powerizers one day then I'll use the Tenergy ones the next day I go out + always keep them charged up regardless of how long a day I put in. No probs in nearly 12 months with either set & still outlast me :D
Agree with Heatho - lucky weren't in the SDC. I never leave mine in for more than a couple of days & only if I'm on a weekend trip using it. Soon as I get home they come out & both sets get charged ready for next time. I usually give them a top up the day before if they've been sitting for a week or longer.

Yep got those from Jaycar but got them back in april-may just never got to use them. Come to think of it Ive been out bugger all lately lol. I always would just recharge the standard ones that come with the detector and got the jaycar ones as a backup set.
I will have to get in the habbit of taking the old ones out by the looks of it. Not sure how long they were in :8 :8 8)

The contacts woukd be generating a small amount of static and attracting moisture which has caused the rusting id say. Ive experienced this when leaving aaa's rolling around my backpack.

Question for all the experienced sdc users. I have hired one for a couple of days for the Missus to use but ended up using it more myself as I found a small patch with the 5000 and then used it to clean up bits I couldn't find, mainly because the ground was hot as hell. Got a few with 5000 and Sadie but ground noise drove me mad, could have dug the whole area. Main question is going to buy one and would like to know what most run on cause I started on 3 and got a few iffy signals then turned it to 5 and was a lot clearer but I don't think I could listen to the noise all day, I'd loose the plot. Also I only got about 5 hours on battery's, is this cause running hotter?

I'm not an expert nor own one but listen to my mate who tells me a bit about them.

He usually uses it on a noisy setting and uses those "annoying" sounds as much as he can and finds twice as much or mire than his mate using lower settings.

You need that extra depth and just start turning those annoying noises into sounds you are able to analyze and guess the target / depth.

The more you can "visually hear" the better

I will just add.. some places he can't detect because its too noisy for his settings so he just goes elsewhere to where its less mineralised or junky ..static..whatever is setting off the machine.

Keep electronics away and I'm sure you know but rainy / stormy days and powerlines will put off the machine.

You can hear lightning through the sdc and gpz before it comes!

Haven't detected when storms are around yet but definitely can hear the planes coming with the 5000

Hope my info helps a little with some input on the sdc though. As I said I'm no user, but this bloke uses it pretty well and pulls nuggets every time he goes out. One even at my tent front door!! :lol: :mad: :lol:

Latest posts