ML 4800 vs 5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redfin said:
Ridge Runner said:
I just read that Minelab will no longer supply parts/repairs? for the GPX series??

Where?

If you are going to say things like that provide a link / source / bibliography.

otherwise the statement, and you, have no credibility whatsoever.

If you Read My Post Again You Will see that There are Question Mark at the end of each sentence Due to the Fact I was asking A Question Not Making A Statement, And the Questions I asked were in reference to a Post That I saw on the Finds Forum,

It's Not About My Credibility, Just about if it was A Rumour or was there any Truth To The Matter,

PhaseTech said:
The fact you can probably pick up a GPX5000 with 4 or more coils for the same price as a new 4800, it is hard to recommend the 4800, unless you just don't like buying 2nd hand. I'd definitely do my homework though and not hand over any cash until I've checked the sn: and tested the unit myself.

Thank you Nenad, That's A very Wise way of looking at It, I see what you mean about the 5000 being a better deal.

So I had better have a re think,

Thank you,, John

Brutus and me said:
I run the 5000,,,,, my question wouldn't be between the 4800 and 5000. I would be asking 5000 or sd2300.

Yes Mate I would Agree, But the SDC2300 would not work for my purpose, Maybe when I get back home I will grab one, but not at the moment, I just want to buy a All Singing all Dancing PI and that only leave my the choice of these two machines.

Thanks Mate,,, john

Well I would be going the 5000,,,
The pro pack at the price is still a good buy and may come down in 6mths who knows,,, jarrahrules also seems to have a pretty good buy in for sale if wanting a 2nd hand

Brutus and me said:
Well I would be going the 5000,,,
The pro pack at the price is still a good buy and may come down in 6mths who knows,,, jarrahrules also seems to have a pretty good buy in for sale if wanting a 2nd hand

Thanks, I had forgotten about the Pro Pack but I just got a price on it but its A little steep right now so I might do as you say and wait to see if they come down A Bit,

Thanks again,,, John

Ridge Runner said:
Brutus and me said:
I run the 5000,,,,, my question wouldn't be between the 4800 and 5000. I would be asking 5000 or sd2300.

Yes Mate I would Agree, But the SDC2300 would not work for my purpose, Maybe when I get back home I will grab one, but not at the moment, I just want to buy a All Singing all Dancing PI and that only leave my the choice of these two machines.

Thanks Mate,,, john

The SDC is PI detector, and it will detect 0.03g nugs too.

Heatho said:
Ridge Runner said:
Brutus and me said:

Thanks Mate,,, john

The SDC is PI detector, and it will detect 0.03g nugs too.

Thank you Heatho, But I need to be able to run larger coils Due to the area I want to search,

Thanks Again,,

I've been looking at getting a metal detector and have found a cheapish second hand gpx4800 for sale. After a bit of research I found that the 4800 and 5000 are similar with only a few upgrades on the 5000. Would a gpx4800 be a good first detector or are those differences with the 5000 enough that I should just wait till I can afford the 5000?

Hi
I have a 4800 was going to buy second hand 4500 or 5000 after a lot of pointers from the forum and a lot of thought I contacted mine lab to clear up some wives tales they say people in Australia are not keen on the 4800 that it was a good relic machine so aimed for the states.

Yes this was true because the 5000 was in production and it was aimed at the Australian market.

True the 4800 has not got a couple of timings and true it has a RX of 15 not 20.

What it does have is the matching ground balance as the 5000 and enhance which I might add my husband does spend a lot of time in with his 5000

Now I may be corrected here but I believe most guys and gals don't run their 5000 RX over 15 any way maybe a rare occasion

I find gold with the 4800 and plenty of led and nails and she runs no different to the 5000.

Why did I opt for the 4800 the ground balance being the same as the 5000 and the price at that time I could get a new 4800 for what I could get a 4500 for.

It is a good machine on testing on some targets that have been in the ground for years the 4800 can pick them up just as good as the 5000

Cheers K-m

A few previous posts on the difference between the 4800 and the 5000 ..... I opted for the 4800 because of a $1200 price difference.
If the 4800 is at a good price and from a reliable source go for it ..... if it's around the $3500 mark then also consider a 4500 at the special price (still a few around).
Oh and don't believe a word about the "relic" detector bs that goes around ..... this was found with the 4800 ..... at 21.6gms
1445339963_img_3355.jpg
it ain't no relic !!!!!
Cheers T.

Latest posts