Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem with my X-terra 70. On the CTX I just make sure my coil it out away from me, and on the GPX when using large coils, before turning on the Xpointer I just flick the Coil switch into cancel.

Got one of these Beauties for my Birthday will see how it goes???
1431241140_image.jpg

Just after people's thoughts on pin pointers when detecting. Are they a must have? Is expensive always the best or will cheap and nasty do? What are the pro's and cons of pin pointers?
I am just getting started on detecting after a little bit of help. Cheers in advance

It depends on what type of detecting you are doing.

I own a Garrett and vibraprobe 580.

The garret is vlf while the 580 is pulse induction
And waterproof. The 580 also detects tiny nuggets
And comes in handy in the gold fields.

These are handy tools to have but not necessary.
Each to their own though.

I would be more inclined pumping the $150 - $200 into
A more feature advanced detector.

Good luck with it.

I have a ProFind, I originally got it to use with my old CTX3030.
It definitely isn't a must have in the goldfields but it is very handy when you have a really strong target signal that you can't pinpoint with the coil, that's the only time I use it.

Hi All,

So I've been viewing a few of the topics on the forum and searching through about pin pointers to get some more information as I'm considering requesting one for a Christmas present :)

I've read mixed reviews on the minelab pin pointer saying it isn't all that powerful and generally not the best to use (though I don't understand why as their other products are quite good.) I've also been comparing with whites but again I've got no clue on pin pointers so I wouldn't know which brand to go with for a beginner at pin pointing.

What are the people using on this forum and what do you recommend?

Do not get hung up on air tests...

You need to look at what you NEED Vs what you think you want.

A: Coin / Relic / Gold ( last one is a tricky one)

B: Rechargeable -via USB / AA / 9V - do you want to match your Detector for batteries ?

C: Water Resistant / Water Proof / Submersible 3m or deeper

D: Use on wet sand on a beach

E: What Detector do you use ?

After all that 90% of all pinpointers all perform basically the same in the field.

It then comes back to :

Usability / functions :

Control of Sound / Vibrate / LED / Manual retune etc

Then:

Support / Service / Cost - During warranty and Post Warranty (many can not be repaired post warranty)

Plenty out there - no one unit will suit every user...

I am a Sponsor - So dont forget to check out the Deteknix range of Pointers...

Thanks AngerManagement :) I've actually been checking out your range too which was why I'm a bit more curious on them.

Currently using the X-terra 705 so wanting to partner something up with this. I've been looking at 9V battery ones, and probably would stick to the coin / relic side of things. Though I do like the gold concept when I'm a little more experienced I'd say.

If anything as I get more experienced I'd probably upgrade it anyway to something a bit more flash. :)

I am using the deteknix wader, and it does everything I need. Consider it because its cheaper than the garret at pinpointer, has the same retune function, and I am getting about 5 hunts on a pair of coles brand rechargable AA batteries.

Avenged said:
Thanks AngerManagement :) I've actually been checking out your range too which was why I'm a bit more curious on them.

Currently using the X-terra 705 so wanting to partner something up with this. I've been looking at 9V battery ones, and probably would stick to the coin / relic side of things. Though I do like the gold concept when I'm a little more experienced I'd say.

If anything as I get more experienced I'd probably upgrade it anyway to something a bit more flash. :)

If looking at 9V operation

A: The Original Xpointer - splash proof NOT water proof - choice of colours...

B: The Xpointer Wader - 3M water proof and will run 9V ( rechargeables or standard ) OR 2 x AA ( rechargeables or standard )

But always remember Batteries are not all the same size and brand and shelf life all play a part.

rocketaroo said:
I am using the deteknix wader, and it does everything I need. Consider it because its cheaper than the garret at pinpointer, has the same retune function, and I am getting about 5 hunts on a pair of coles brand rechargable AA batteries.

What's the price on those ones these days if you don't mind? I don't mind the rechargeable batteries option I use them currently on the 705 and manage to get quite a good run time out of them for rechargeable plus I always take spares with me if I'm in doubt of their life span.

AngerManagement said:
B: The Xpointer Wader - 3M water proof and will run 9V ( rechargeables or standard ) OR 2 x AA ( rechargeables or standard )

But always remember Batteries are not all the same size and brand and shelf life all play a part.

Thanks Anger, just looked at your website. Are you Xpointer Wader always stocked? Like I said it's hopefully a Christmas present, though if your supply is low I can see if I can order one on my next pay :)

Avenged said:
AngerManagement said:

Thanks Anger, just looked at your website. Are you Xpointer Wader always stocked? Like I said it's hopefully a Christmas present, though if your supply is low I can see if I can order one on my next pay :)

Have plenty of the Deteknix Wader :)

So no need to rush or put your self out.

Register on the Web Store - You can always do an Order and then not pay/complete the checkout. I stays in the system and when your are ready - complete the order or I can issue an invoice /request to pay from your abandoned checkout.

But - feel free to keep looking and researching... Do not rush or let your self be pushed.