Strange molten rocks??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys ive never seen these blackish molten glass aperance with gold and bedrock? And other metal /minerals.
It has gold in it! pretty heavy for size and a little colour showing.
Any ideas? :D

1415081792_1415081760077.jpg

Hahaha forgot to take pic ...silly duffa

A drunken prospector threw the wrong bottle onto the fire ??????? Or bushfire came through camp and owner failed to return would be my guess.

Looks like its from a smelting site. Look for more and dig the soil all around 'cos if they were sloppy enough to leave that stuff there is probably more.

Felsic lava Obsidian that has been alluvially weathered and travelled a long way.

Found in a creek or stream?

Regards

If it has gold in it is most likely from a smelter. Flux will harden like glass and have traces of gold in it. Found a heap of this ata smelter site near where I prospect. Traces of gold in most bits so it was crushed, and re smelted to get the gold.

I spoke to an old timer at pub he said there was a smelt above the area that had caught fire and was destroyed 100years or so ago funny enough it was a company mine, workers got paid by the day so care factor was zero. They used to let the wash or material flow into the creek for laughs ( sending luck down stream) for fello prospectors when times were hard. And for the fact there pay would bearly feed there family. Its all deep in the creek some are rounded others are still sharpish . I will go down tomorrow and look properly one of these pces does have bedrock attached to me it looks natural the others do look like slag now you metion it. Thanx guys i luv learning new things apreciate it. :)

loooks like a great spot your got there mate something different is always great for the hobby, local history chasing old tales I love it :) good luck

Thanks goldigga.
Deep creek at gympie qld mate designated fossicking area just have to scratch past the silty flood grime and it shows a whole lota character very deseaving. I have been told soo many funny stories i could write a comedy prospecting show researched at the local library "Mt pleasant pub" i tell ya the owner used to be the highest paid gold miner in australia no fib...just love this place .

G'day all

I would also say that it is probably from a smelting site and maybe not even a legal one. when I was working around Kalgoorlie I would often come across such sites from small bush smelting operations using rich gold stolen from the major mines.

I also remember a story from an Ion Idriess book about how he got a good start by finding smelter sites (old and legal ones of a significant size). He would take everything around the site including soil, old crucibles and bricks - crush it all up and pan off. he said that the amount of smelting spills were high.

Araluen

I have all types of rock at this site i found an old iron kettle huge half melted and old cans full of slag. I went up stream 10 metres took 3 large sample pans half panned them an seen colour took them home and bam what a shock 0.2gms in 3 pans..real chunky lil pces some dark brown some yellow...so stoked.
A younger fella started to hit that spot when i left and he was there 2day i had a house inspection dam..... :mad:

Might have been 'blayke'. I think he knocks around in the creek there. Last time we spoke he was keen to find some like minded folk to share some digging with.

My folks are in Gympie, so I am loving your story. Keep up the finds. :cool:

yeh wasnt me :D but i will be heading back....so busy with work recently and a sick mother havent had a chance....also working on getting out to widgee inbetween gympie and kilkivan. a workmate has family that owns a couple hundred acres with a creek flowing through it and gold mines in the area.....
unfortunately havent had a chance to get to gympie for months.....will be there next sunday arvo tho

Latest posts