Found In Circulation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a round of my local banks, no one seems to have any.

Would like to get a $50 bag to hand out to the kids on ANZAC Day.

here is some of the coins i have found over the last few months
1429834996_img_0207.jpg

the 50c, the dollar coins (apart from the Anzacs) and one of the $2 are error coins, the rest of the $2 coins are just collectable

Edit for spelling and added info

The coin that you need to be looking is the 1988 Coat of Arms 50c mule in UNC worth about $8500. Even rough could be worth a great deal as no normal coat of arms 50 cents were produced. Yet a few have been found to date.

Also the 1977 50 cent Coat of Arms is also rare again as the the coin was never officially produced but a few have turned up at auctions.

I'd never seen or heard of one either Rocket but the R.A.M said this about it:

"The iconic image of a rams head will once again grace Australias newest $1 coin as revealed on New Years Day at the Royal Australian Mint in Canberra.

Originally appearing on the one shilling from 1938 to 1963, the Royal Australian Mint has returned to this familiar design to recognise one of Australias longest running industries.

This new $1 rams head coin design continues our celebration in 2011 of Australian wool and the role it played in the development of modern Australia, said Assistant Treasurer, Bill Shorten.

The original design of the ram was modelled on a champion Merino at the Annual Sydney Sheep Show in 1932 and came to be known as the Shilling Ram, Mr Shorten said.

This collectible coin is an exclusive offer and one which will be sought after by many collectors. It is only available to make at our store in Canberra and bears a C for Canberra mark on it, making it a memento to keep forever, said CEO of the Royal Australian Mint, Mr Ross MacDiarmid.

The dies in the gallery press will be changed to the Rams head design on New Years Eve, giving one lucky visitor to the Mint on New Years Day the rare opportunity to strike the very first collector coin for 2011, Mr MacDiarmid said"

http://www.ramint.gov.au/media/press-releases/2011/20110101.cfm

They were also doing them at the ANDA shows throughout Australia, I have two of them in a card with "P" for Perth mintmark. It is rare to find one in circulation due to them being carded. So how it got there who knows, but good collectible for the series.

Westaus said:
They were also doing them at the ANDA shows throughout Australia, I have two of them in a card with "P" for Perth mintmark. It is rare to find one in circulation due to them being carded. So how it got there who knows, but good collectible for the series.

There was 4 to a card(I think), so there could be another three out there if somebody needed a quick $4 to spend at some stage in their life.(probably spent them all at the same shop).

silver said:
Westaus said:

There was 4 to a card(I think), so there could be another three out there if somebody needed a quick $4 to spend at some stage in their life.(probably spent them all at the same shop).

Yes they did a 4 card with the mint marks and then an individual one at the coin shows. So yes a few variations available. I found a $5 coin in circulation looked like a euro a little. I walked into the bank and deposited it. A few funny looks and a check with the manager because they had never seen a $5 coin before. I knew it was legal tender but a fun experience. Same as the $10 Silver series coins. They are worth $10, see how you go in any shop. Bet they won't take it though.

Reading this thread and mention of the ANDA roadshows reminded me that at a Royal Show I took my children to many years ago and I recalled watching the minting of $1 dollar coins in a portable machine they had on display ... searched my collection and found it

B68E2850-76FD-4EBF-934B-F0D94E8370F6_zpstmxkixes.jpg

So here is a $1 coin with an Adelaide mintmark on it.... my question is .... Is there any publication that lists all the variations of coins minted in this manner? If so does it have mintage figures? I would think one off minting at cities without a mint should have a decent value ... I'm sure they would have only made a few thousand at the show - does anyone know?

From an older book it showed about 21,000 being made with the "A" mintmark price is always debatable but worth more than a $1, at a guess $10+

Here you are this one been graded which costs $30 and is on sale grade MS66 C mint
1431425954_199820882544_wide.jpg

and only costs $45 don't think they will ever be very collectible but still a nice coin. If you want the set let me know and I will put you on to a couple of dealers.

Latest posts