⭐ Gold Detecting Show'n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paul_mac1 said:
Hey RM,
I feel your pain, I was at Chapel Hill, here in SA recently, and someone has thrown small tin squares everywhere, like, hundreds of them.

Very annoying, I don't bother there anymore.

Cheers

Throwing trash all over the place isn't good PM. Near where I found the coin previously I was bothered with tiny pieces of metal swarf :N: managed to find 3 grams :Y:. As for the coin I did get a laugh out of it, only ever dug one spendable that was 50 cents. People who deliberately trash an area either don't like us or have an agenda or both.

Hi Folks,

Havent posted for a while as life always seams to get in the way of detecting. Funny that. Anyway I have done a lot of walking over the past month looking for new areas to detect (with very little return.) Yesterday I decided that it was time to put the gpx away and see if I could squeeze out a few small bits from some of the old workings close to home using the SDC. It was a good chance to slow down and see how far I could stretch the detector (especially with my less than perfect hearing) in an area that is quite popular with people who love the yella stuff. (It was an area that a few PA members had a play in late last year.)

I picked a mullock heap and decided that I would work it over and not leave it until I was totally satisfied that it been detected to the best of my limited ability. A bit of rubbish was kicked out of the way and the slow methodical process started. Within a couple of minutes I was surprised to pick up a faint but distinct signal. What popped out was this small piece.
1530156352_b0d4f487-8a04-4c46-bf86-b7bf2d30ebf7.jpg

The most impressive part was the depth that the nugget came from.
1530156428_425b1fed-5bba-4d5d-b34f-e47e1837dcd1.jpg

A couple of minutes later another even smaller piece popped out. I know for a fact that Id detected this mullock heap in the past with the 5000 and didnt extract anything at all. This sort of confirmed how good the SDC is on the small stuff.

After spending about half an hour on the one pile, I was convinced that every detectable piece of gold was removed. But then I had another thought. Id detect the pile again but from a different angle.

I decided to start from where the first piece was uncovered. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the faintest of signals. How could I have missed this the first time? It was only just a break in the threshold but it was there. The answer was quite obvious. The width of the signal was very narrow. Move the coil to the left or right by about an inch and the signal disappeared. Another small piece of gold was rescued from about 5 inches.

Was just about to back fill the hole but decided to check the spoils pile. What I heard could not be reguarded as a signal. It was so subtle that even the slight breeze in the trees was masking it. Eventually I got something in the scoop. It hardly made a sound when it was passed over the coil. I got down to about a quarter of a teaspoon soil in the scoop and still could not see anything. After rubbing bits between my fingers, I uncovered the smallest piece of gold that Id ever detected. I then repeated this same process four more times.

After detecting the mound again, I ended up with eleven of the tiniest pieces of gold that youd ever see. Have a look at the weight of the three smallest bits
1530158052_e6f69b3f-5d17-4d55-bc9a-8e9105b2b5ed.jpg

Extracted another two from the next mound and decided to call it a day. Will get back there soon to have another play.

Cheers for now

Les
1530158207_52fd4404-d962-4e15-9191-17b9a13c006b.jpg

Lesgold said:
Hi Folks,

Havent posted for a while as life always seams to get in the way of detecting. Funny that. Anyway I have done a lot of walking over the past month looking for new areas to detect (with very little return.) Yesterday I decided that it was time to put the gpx away and see if I could squeeze out a few small bits from some of the old workings close to home using the SDC. It was a good chance to slow down and see how far I could stretch the detector (especially with my less than perfect hearing) in an area that is quite popular with people who love the yella stuff. (It was an area that a few PA members had a play in late last year.)

I picked a mullock heap and decided that I would work it over and not leave it until I was totally satisfied that it been detected to the best of my limited ability. A bit of rubbish was kicked out of the way and the slow methodical process started. Within a couple of minutes I was surprised to pick up a faint but distinct signal. What popped out was this small piece.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6352_b0d4f487-8a04-4c46-bf86-b7bf2d30ebf7.jpg
The most impressive part was the depth that the nugget came from.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6428_425b1fed-5bba-4d5d-b34f-e47e1837dcd1.jpg
A couple of minutes later another even smaller piece popped out. I know for a fact that Id detected this mullock heap in the past with the 5000 and didnt extract anything at all. This sort of confirmed how good the SDC is on the small stuff.

After spending about half an hour on the one pile, I was convinced that every detectable piece of gold was removed. But then I had another thought. Id detect the pile again but from a different angle.

I decided to start from where the first piece was uncovered. I was pleasantly surprised to hear the faintest of signals. How could I have missed this the first time? It was only just a break in the threshold but it was there. The answer was quite obvious. The width of the signal was very narrow. Move the coil to the left or right by about an inch and the signal disappeared. Another small piece of gold was rescued from about 5 inches.

Was just about to back fill the hole but decided to check the spoils pile. What I heard could not be reguarded as a signal. It was so subtle that even the slight breeze in the trees was masking it. Eventually I got something in the scoop. It hardly made a sound when it was passed over the coil. I got down to about a quarter of a teaspoon soil in the scoop and still could not see anything. After rubbing bits between my fingers, I uncovered the smallest piece of gold that Id ever detected. I then repeated this same process four more times.

After detecting the mound again, I ended up with eleven of the tiniest pieces of gold that youd ever see. Have a look at the weight of the three smallest bitshttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/9840/1530158052_e6f69b3f-5d17-4d55-bc9a-8e9105b2b5ed.jpg
Extracted another two from the next mound and decided to call it a day. Will get back there soon to have another play.

Cheers for now

Les
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...8207_52fd4404-d962-4e15-9191-17b9a13c006b.jpg
Funny that you done that Led. I put a post up about a product called A Panners Mate (quiet expensive) somewhere on this site and the manufacturer told me to get test buckets off different mullock heaps and process top 4 inches and then work on ones that showed the most colour. His point was that most of the detectable gold has been got but there is plenty of undetectable gold still there.
Congrats on finds and perseverance.

Hi More Leadshot,

Had the same thought myself. Might try panning a bit of material from that particular mullock heap. Many of the piles have had material removed in the past. I assume that that it may have occurred in the last 70 to 100 years (around the depression) and even up to recent times. There is the potential to pan some real clunkers from a good pile of gravel. Unfortunately there would also be a lot of empty pans. The SDC would be a good indicator of the presence of small gold.

Cheers

Les

Hi Folks,

Went back to the same mullock heap and jagged one more small piece. Detected another four or five piles for two more very small pieces.
1530251845_40a5e98b-7262-4220-976d-da45e009c718.jpg

Decided to take half a bucket of material home and pan it to see what popped out.
1530251908_159ff489-ef8f-462d-8fb9-c6d0c8b00eab.jpg

Not much really. They are pretty small. Thank goodness for the camera zoom. Looks like it was just the one mullock heap where the prospector threw away a little too much. Hopefully there will be a few more lazy diggers in this area.

Cheers

Les

I have a 4 meter ladder.
Would love to get down one of those shallow holes and have a scratch around the floor. :)

Hi all,
Went to Cresswick today, just because I could, temp at 8.30 was sitting on 0 deg with frost everywhere. Warmed up to 9 deg by 2pm. When I arrived it looked like it was raining with all the dew dripping from the trees.

However it was a magic sunny day and I did manage to liberate these 5 tiddlers (weighing in at a mighty .17gm)

Oops having trouble loading pic, will get the expert to assist ( my daughter) as soon as possible

Bob

maxwell4 said:
Hi all,
Went to Cresswick today, just because I could, temp at 8.30 was sitting on 0 deg with frost everywhere. Warmed up to 9 deg by 2pm. When I arrived it looked like it was raining with all the dew dripping from the trees.
Bob

Well done Bob.wasn't much warmer driving north this morning .....
1530607544_fullsizeoutput_167e.jpg

Was rewarded with 6 little SDC nuggets .....
1530607597_fullsizeoutput_167c.jpg

Cheers T.

Latest posts