Cudgeegong River

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbut

Paul
Reaction score
Hi All , I have read that the Cudgeegong river is one of the places in NSW that Rubies can be found. Tonight looking on SIX maps you can see how LOW the water levels are in some of the bigger & dammed rivers. Below map shows what it Should look like, but the satelite photo , shows just how low & receeded the river is. Point is I see some nice potential areas for scouting

1391767167_mapsh.jpg

1391767196_map.jpg

The Cudgegong now runs between two dams, Windamere & Burrendong. Windamere was built as a back up for Burrendong & the water released from it keeps the river at a fairly constant level barring heavy rains.
Burrendong feeds the cotton farmers out west.
The picture on Six may be showing the high/flood water level? The Cudgegong looks pretty much the same as usual to me, maybe a little lower but not to the extent of the pics, both dams are noticeably lower though.

I researched this a bit awhile back but never really followed thru with anything. Got me thinking again - no detector at the moment but plenty of pans etc. :D
I think most finds were a byproduct of gold fossicking but included rubies, diamonds, zircon, topaz & even some sapphire I believe. Theres a few interesting areas like Apple Tree Flat, Two Mile Flat, Beryl etc. that could be worth a look.
Edit: let me know if you want any help & I will where I can. Might not be tonight though - phone nearly dead :lol:

Interesting, if the co-ords in that PDF link are accurate , it is here that they found rubies etc.

1391772607_325014950.jpg

Hmm looked at that area before. South of the Cudgegong & Windamere Dam. Lots of gem activity further south of there too. Research Col Ribaux the diamond miner, Capertee Valley & Mt Airly.

The circled area seems to be marked as crown land on the titles viewer. I'd be keen to do some Ruby hunting, sampling in various places.

Another Ruby deposit on the Google Earth overlay I'm using shows a deposit directly West of Ben Bullen on the Upper Turon, it doesn't show the one circled on your screenshot though.

I've seen some small Rubies from the Cudgegong that looked exactly the same as yours Brumble Gum. Have you put yours under a UV light? They will look amazing if you try it.

Heatho said:
Another Ruby deposit on the Google Earth overlay I'm using shows a deposit directly West of Ben Bullen on the Upper Turon, it doesn't show the one circled on your screenshot though.

I've seen some small Rubies from the Cudgegong that looked exactly the same as yours Brumble Gum. Have you put yours under a UV light? They will look amazing if you try it.

No I haven't, I must give that a go.
Where can you get a uv from?

Brumble-Gum said:
Heatho said:
Not that type Richo.

I've got one similar to this http://www.streamlight.com/en-gb/product/product.html?pid=216, though any UV LED torch will do, plenty of very cheap ones on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/black-light-torch

I just purchased one of Ebay, cheers.
I have a green rock that I am not sure about, I think its a piece of glass I am hoping it is a sapphire. The UV will tell me.

BG most Sapphires don't fluoresce, will only work on Sapphires/Rubies with a high Chromium content (pink, red only) the Chromium content gives them their Pink/Red colour, but wait till you see how bright they light up under it, can see them from about 5 feet, could be good for night specking.

Latest posts