Blue Tick Mobile Phones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the band plan for mobiles
is spread over multiple frequencies. ?

ie, 850 to 1200 mhz.

I have an 850 wide band Yagi designed for mobiles but
it is a fixed unit.
About 1 meter long. Too big to hang off any thing. LOL

Except a mast on a building.

Tathradj said:
I thought the band plan for mobiles
is spread over multiple frequencies. ?

ie, 850 to 1200 mhz.

I have an 850 wide band Yagi designed for mobiles but
it is a fixed unit.
About 1 meter long. Too big to hang off any thing. LOL

Except a mast on a building.

Yes it is as far as I can make out, 700mhz up to 2600. That's 4G. I think the one i,m looking at will do the job for me. But a bit more checking.

Mobile reception is so "subjective". I've stood with 3 other people in a poor reception area, each of us with a different mobile. One Telstra handset, 2 x Samsung Android and one Iphone. The Iphone had no reception at all, also one of the Samsung phones, the other had 1 bar. The Telstra phone was an old 3G non smart phone and had the best reception of the lot at 2 bars. (Mine was the Samsung that had no reception.)

All were on the Telstra network and we were all within about 4' of each other.

I still reckon the best reception I ever got from a mobile was the old Microtac Motorola "brick" I had in the early 90s. It had a pull out antenna and was on the old Analogue Telstra network and I had a car kit that plugged into it. But then, there was no such thing as data and it was pretty well just a phone. :)

A bit of further info, and slightly off topic, it appears that Telstra are re-purposing the 850Mhz 3G band to use 5G as the 3G service is phased out. Also trialing the 700Mhz band for 5G.
So some good news for those out bush that need fast data.

https://eftm.com/2021/03/telstra-to-bring-5g-to-more-places-using-their-850mhz-network-207566

What this means is if you're buying a new phone and intending to travel out bush, ensure the phone is 5G capable on both the 850 Mhz and 700 Mhz bands.
It also means existing antenna systems being used for 3G should still be suitable for use.

I did a bit of a Google for curiosity on the Microtac - blast from the past......

1624351210_mtac1.jpg

Phone with slim line battery = 350gr (phone without battery 302gr)
1624351210_mtac2.jpg

Extended life battery from memory about 3 times the size of the slimline = approx 150gr.

I had 2 slimline and 1 extended batteries, they were MiNh (metal nickel hydride). With the big battery I was carrying around 450 grs on my belt. Compare this to the Samsung Galaxy S21 at around 200gr.

Prbably caused me to lean to one side lol.

Come on Condor, You're jesting, 250g mobile put you off balance, put the gold you find in your opposite pocket and you will straighten up. :playful:

Leave the mongrel phone at home you don't need it, your heart won't stop if you're not hugging your mobile AND you will find more gold without the advertisement interruptions.. :lol: :lol:

Nightjar said:
Come on Condor, You're jesting, 250g mobile put you off balance, put the gold you find in your opposite pocket and you will straighten up. :playful:

Leave the mongrel phone at home you don't need it, your heart won't stop if you're not hugging your mobile AND you will find more gold without the advertisement interruptions.. :lol: :lol:

I don't have a mobile grafted to my ear like some of the younger set, lol, or walk around with my nose glued to it. I kinda exaggerated a little relative to the size of the bloody thing back then. I wasn't prospecting in those days :), but I did need it at the time as I was sole trade contracting and that was money in the pocket.

However there are 2 things with mobiles for me..... 1st and foremost, I turn mine off when I go to bed, I've had wrong number calls from overseas at 4 a.m. before, lol. 2nd, I rarely carry it when detecting and if I do it's switched off as when it communicates with the network as they all do, it interferes with the detector audio.

Although my home NBN has a phone number attached, I only got telemarketers calling it, so I unplugged it, rolled up the cord and threw it in a box in the shed, problem solved. :) I think many don't use home phones nowadays, noticeable by the phone book getting thinner every year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS - Not on topic, but I picked up a Pylontech 100AH Lithium for the van today and my mate reprogrammed my Victron controller to suit, even tho' it doesn't have a Lithium profile.

condor22 said:
PS - Not on topic, but I picked up a Pylontech 100AH Lithium for the van today and my mate reprogrammed my Victron controller to suit, even tho' it doesn't have a Lithium profile.

Which Victron have you got ??

Hi condor22, reading on here you are on Boost Mobile. I have just ordered a sim, but now reading on the boost site there are some horrid reports. have you had problems with Boost.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Cheers,
Prooz

Had no problem with my SIM in operation at all.

However, re porting my normal number to the Boost SIM, I have not yet done it. As I am moving house in the next few months, I will wait until that "dust settles" before doing so. Ditto re the wife's number, she does not have Boost at all as yet.

Data Txt and calls have all operated with no issue and I have done one 12 month recharge recently also with no issue.

On the Boost forum there is some horror stories in wait time when porting numbers across. But I suppose there would be bad reports with all of the carriers, when you think of the amount of phones out there.

Thank you for the reply.

Cheers

Prooz said:
Hi condor22, reading on here you are on Boost Mobile. I have just ordered a sim, but now reading on the boost site there are some horrid reports. have you had problems with Boost.

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Cheers,
Prooz
been on Boost for years with no problem, it is Telstra.

Prooz said:
On the Boost forum there is some horror stories in wait time when porting numbers across. But I suppose there would be bad reports with all of the carriers, when you think of the amount of phones out there.

Thank you for the reply.

Cheers

When I bought my Tough Max 3 recently, the Telstra guy told me that number porting is taking 4 or more weeks at the moment, across the board. So if the "premier" network say that, then we are stuck with that. :)

Latest posts