Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
I got a SDC bungy from DD leather in anticipation of using the 17" a lot although I did read somewhere that it's very light too?
GPZ bungy would suit too :Y:

Yeah was thinking of the sdc one mbasko,let it go with the sale of our sdc,might grab another one.
That middle stem is 19mm,i see ya can buy the plastic bow type knuckle in that size,got a few of the old ones here but there 22mm....

Thanks Matt for your report, voices like yours in the discussion help to evaluate with confidence. If the tax man doesnt want too many Sheckles this year might try and rediscover the joy with a machinethat doesnt cripple me to put some serious hours on.

Thanks again champion. :Y:

Been told by a person that owns a 6000 that it is not much heavier than a Gold monster and less than the SDC

It will be a great detector for a lot of people that have bad back's

It hits deeper than the SDC does

My friend has just been over ground that he has flogged and along with others have been over it.. and still found gold by using the 6000

He told me that this detector will reopen a lot of all ready flogged spots with the 6000

:)

goody2shoes said:
Been told by a person that owns a 6000 that it is not much heavier than a Gold monster and less than the SDC

It will be a great detector for a lot of people that have bad back's

It hits deeper than the SDC does

My friend has just been over ground that he has flogged and along with others have been over it.. and still found gold by using the 6000

He told me that this detector will reopen a lot of all ready flogged spots with the 6000

:)

Without using it its hard to be certain, however this was my expectation with Minelab bringing out (at least) 4 models that gave users a chance to find additional gold, and with that track record it would be my assumption the 6 would again bring more finds for users.

Putting this model in the lightest possible configuration will ensure its a marketable option in the range for many years to come.

1619842724_0.7g_6000_1_may.jpg

4 tiny bits while chaining the new area.
This machine is great. EMI certainly effects the mono if you crank the sensitivity up, but multiple noise cancels and running the sensitivity a bit lower sorts it out.
Its the easiest thing in the world to swing and I could literally go all day....if I didnt have a wife and kids :)

Ran in manual for a while & also in auto/auto+. Auto+ worked well there & found the majority of the gold. Maybe a little "ratty" for some but no mistaking metal targets.
Interesting to note that on testing one of the speccis that it could still easily be picked up in a manual sensitivity setting of 1. Plenty of grunt left. (6 - 7 was the best manual setting i.e. smooth running over the majority of ground but both auto modes worked well).
Interesting post from JP that helps me understand what I was noticing the other day:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...us-prospectors/?do=findComment&comment=163003

mbasko said:
Ran in manual for a while & also in auto/auto+. Auto+ worked well there & found the majority of the gold. Maybe a little "ratty" for some but no mistaking metal targets.
Interesting to note that on testing one of the speccis that it could still easily be picked up in a manual sensitivity setting of 1. Plenty of grunt left. (6 - 7 was the best manual setting i.e. smooth running over the majority of ground but both auto modes worked well).
Interesting post from JP that helps me understand what I was noticing the other day:
https://www.detectorprospector.com/...us-prospectors/?do=findComment&comment=163003
Thats very cool info :)
Might see if I can get into auto+ and no threshold today....see what happens!

kingswood said:
mbasko said:
My takeaway from JP's write up is that Auto+ is the only setting he would run no threshold?
I'm assuming that is to negate EMI effects with the higher auto sensitivity?
If EMI is low/not an issue I'd be still running with threshold.
When I used Auto+ the other day I was running with a threshold & found it ok.

mbasko said:
kingswood said:
mbasko said:
My takeaway from JP's write up is that Auto+ is the only setting he would run no threshold?
I'm assuming that is to negate EMI effects with the higher auto sensitivity?
If EMI is low/not an issue I'd be still running with threshold.
When I used Auto+ the other day I was running with a threshold & found it ok.
yeah thats what I think he meant too.
Managed to stay in auto all morning. Found a gram and a half :)
EMI makes it chatter, but regular noise cancels work. I tried no threshold. Not a fan really. It still pings stuff, tested it on an still buried target (lead) and it still gets it, but doesnt sound as loud to me as it does with threshold. Maybe thats what JP means about headphones or speakers with no threshold?

if EMI is present, has anyone tried the headphones wired to the detector? If you can't hear EMI any more then the inbuilt loudspeaker could be the problem I think.

hermann said:
if EMI is present, has anyone tried the headphones wired to the detector? If you can't hear EMI any more then the inbuilt loudspeaker could be the problem I think.
I think the issue in Auto+ is more high sensitivity & getting atmospheric or environmental EMI from other sources like storms, nearby infrastructure etc.
I had little to no EMI in Auto+ the other day - a couple of planes overhead that weren't IMO as bad as previous GPX models.
Confident that the inbuilt speaker isn't an issue. I would be more inclined to think the inbuilt Bluetooth could be but I'm confident that's a non issue also.
To me it handles EMI better - I think some users need to be prepared to drop the "sensitivity" back in manual when using the mono or just be prepared to frequently noise cancel in Auto (it only takes 3 seconds anyway). :Y:

I'm liking some of what im hearing about this one.
But could someone be kind enough to meaure the distance from the end of the shaft to the beginning of the arm rest?
That way I can set mine at that and see if I could put up with it out detecting rather than waste my time driving to a dealer to check one out.
From here....
1620019163_20210503_14565521.jpg

To here......144cm
1620019206_20210503_1457511.jpg

I'm 6'4" and standing straight with the coil flat on the ground, the back of the coil is 80cm from my foot.
I normally have it set-up so the coil is 45-50cm from my foot.

PhaseTech said:
Just checked it with armrest at furthest point, and both shafts extended to red line, and I get 1.33m
Thanks for that, appreciated. I'll try that out when the weather clears here. :Y:

Gday Goldchaser
Ran into a guy last week west of Meekatharra. He had a 6k and let me dabble with it for a few minutes. Seemed very impressive.
The only thing that I have a concern with is how it will perform in our laterite and schisty country.
Can you comment?
Cheers
Brett

Latest posts