Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's an interesting introductory video. What stood out for me was the unfamiliar terrain they feature, with not even a glimpse of outback detecting in Australia or desert detecting in USA.

Sorry, but got to say....hilarious! Typical marketing spin. Especially all gold, all sizes, bla bla bla - but we only see huge nuggets being pulled.

RE; Speaker position, I will call it now - it's pointing BACKWARDS, towards our back. Ears pick up sounds best from the front, have they learned nothing from the SDC?

I also read the official user manual, quite a few adjustments and set up procedures to go through. Also they have moved to the GPZ detecting frequencies, but that was never far off the 5000 anyway. That doesn't change anything though as it is still PI and the zed is still ZVT.

Yes, it certainly DOES have a lot going for it, and sounds like it could be a winner with it's geo ground sense, but you still have to set that to the right area/conditions to start with?

I only hope that in-field tests prove this to be a winner. It would be nice to see something new on the market assuming the performance is as they say, and a shame should it not.

Just spoke to a dealer who got the video information etc. from Minelab but still no price or release date - he is expecting more info shortly & release to be very soon.
Maybe Miners Den should check their emails?

Good on marketing guys/gals well done, they even had her dripping wet in the last scenes like a hooters ad. (Desperate and lonely sells i suppose).

As per advertising about machine performance though i think the wife will be replacing the sdc, and myself after telling her what the possible price could be.

Well, I thought the video was great and I'm sold on the 6000, I think give it 6 months after release when the field results start showing it'll prove to be a great step forward.

Now I just need to start saving.

OMG what a wank ! Old mate in Africa is not even carrying a pick. I guess the nuggets must just jump out of the ground !

Never in my 20 years in the game have I seen Minelab trying so hard to sell a new model !

No discrimination, no ability to change the threshold tone ?

If the ground is bad, their answer is to change to a DD coil ! Like I will be carrying that around in the boondocks in my backpack ! And who the hell wants to go BACK to using DD coils ??!!

Limited choice of Minelab only coils.

This latest offering is not impressing me much, certainly not enough to go and drop $8K ( plus whatever the 17 inch coil costs) !

Rick

Manual etc. up on Minelab site now.
https://www.minelab.com/anzea/metal-detectors/gpx-6000

The real fun will start soon.
The testers will post up opinion
The doubters will pick it to pieces & complain endlessly about what it doesn't have
The quiet achievers will be out putting rattles in the jar :goldnugget:

JD3 said:
I cant be bothered doing that with stupid tiny surface crap!

Awesome, no disrespect but who in their right mind calls ANY gold crap ..... have to go back and check your posts, they must be filled with multi gram nuggets while all us mere mortals can show are Victorian mini gold pieces. Unfortunately I like to come home with some colour ... if I just wanted large nuggets I'd be swinging the GPX with a 14" coil ..... sadly too old to do that for days on end and my wife does like to see some colour when I get home.

Oh, I'd happily come and walk over the areas you've detected .... must be shite load of sub gram stuff that you don't want .... just kidding, we all have different approaches and wants from our detecting.

I've got an open mind regarding performance but yeah, doesn't look anywhere near as solid as a Zed, I always thought it was aimed at the African market but obviously not at that price. I'm not buying one but am still interested to see how it goes.

Looks overly simplistic, though, knowing Minelab though it's probably going to be good.

Araratgold said:
OMG what a wank ! Old mate in Africa is not even carrying a pick. I guess the nuggets must just jump out of the ground !

This latest offering is not impressing me much, certainly not enough to go and drop $8K ( plus whatever the 17 inch coil costs) !

Rick

Some people recognise advertising for what it is .... just advertising, its purpose has never been to explicitly show real world situations, some is just made to entertain or inform .... in a brief format. Think it does that well.

Guess Araratgold is the first on the "I'll never buy one" ..... might have to start a thread to see who else in that category.

Teemore said:
Araratgold said:

Rick

Some people recognise advertising for what it is .... just advertising, its purpose has never been to explicitly show real world situations, some is just made to entertain or inform .... in a brief format. Think it does that well.

Guess Araratgold is the first on the "I'll never buy one" ..... might have to start a thread to see who else in that category.

I haven't said that I will NEVER buy one.

What I am saying is that it is a lot of dough considering all it's shortcomings.

If you didn't already own a machine/s, I'm sure it would fit the bill for quite a few people, albeit at a hefty price, considering Aus is getting the " poor mans " package.

On what planet would Minelab consider it acceptable for the Aussie market not to be at least offered the " African " package ?? Cleverly done to extort more money for the 17 inch coil and second battery that we actually need !

I personally don't give a rats that it can find 28 micro crumbs for a gram ( done in testing apparently ). That's the kind of thing that gets gullible newbies excited.

Call me cynical if you like ! I call it being a realist. The ZED was a massive jump forward, and I put my money down straight away, but this release is just not doing it for me.

Rick

davent said:
Catching sardines will lead you to catching salmon.
If you were covering ground, no signals and no gold, you just keep walking. If you find a small bit, then another, you then know there is gold where you are, you slow down and start detecting properly. The 6K will be a patch finder for sure.
It will detect good pieces at depth.
Under-rated post ;)
The first bit is often the hardest to find on a new patch. If the 6000 can pick up a trail of smaller ones, may well lead you to the bigger ones.

Anyone notice the coil plug connector looks a bit vulnerable,kinda hanging out on its own there,i'll definetly be banging up a bit of pvc or something mounted off the shaft to protect it,it's probably ok but throwing it about on our quad or car etc might take its toll,lookin good otherwise i think,was hopin my ryobi 1 batteries might fit it but apparently not :lol:

Latest posts