ID of stone. HELP

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Pulled this from GG and i am having an internal struggle as to what it is... Help! Please!

1384403379_dsc_0257.jpg

1384403334_dsc_0259.jpg

The tip is a bit blue. I would love it to be sapphire, hence the internal struggle...

Looks alot like onxy, heres a little goblet i picked up in newcastle years ago.
you could try a hardness test to help identify it, should be about 7mohs.

1384424165_dsc00291.jpg

I dont think onyx, It lets too much light through doesnt it? Can you get onyx at GG?
Thanks everyone! You all just made my night! :D Sorry about all the questions, i only have 23 years under my belt and i've never done this before. You are all so kind and welcoming. :)

ask all the questions you like , we all learn by the process that follows.

be patient , be kind to yourself and good luck out there :lol:

Wal has alot of experience at GG so i wont doubt the accuracy of his call on the above

This is The first one i found from that lot of soil. I almost dropped it in the river, Would of thrown myself in after it.. Or my boyfriend anyway!

1384429324_dsc_0247-picsay_450x800.jpg

geez jessiy dont throw your boyfriend in the creek . he might swallow some sapphires :eek:

is he a big guy ?

i guess you could turn him upside down and shake him around a bit until they came back out again

there are quite a few women on this forum which is great , and its good to have the reminder for all us guys to behave ourselves and mind our language :8

Hahaha, He is bigger then me, well, im taller by an inch or so, but still... I am not going in that water unprotected, i was in with the sieve last week, first sieve, LEECH!.. blerg! No, if anybody is going in that water face first after a stone, it will certainly, certainly, be him. He laughed at me.... :( 8.(
Could shake him around a bit, but im afraid he would loose his last few marbles :p

Jessiy said:
Hahaha, Could shake him around a bit, but im afraid he would loose his last few marbles :p

losing his marbles could be confusing if they are the same colour as the gems in the creek ? :eek:

regarding the leeches , salt makes them run away quick smart

i hate them too so i carry a bag of salt with me and i also intend clipping a block of rock salt to one of my gumboots one day to see if that makes them run ( swim ) for the hills

The other small pest you might encounter is Tics , metho or similar makes them drop off pretty quick.

i reckon every little problem that life throws at us must have a solution somewhere somehow

best wishes with your sapphire finding :)

Latest posts