Reasons I Can't Find Any Gold?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You still need a bit of luck you do the research go to the right areas do the right things but yes sometimes come up with nothing give yourself a time limit on a area say an hour and a half if you dont find any gold move to another area and try again also l dont know how many times Ive been just driving around and see something that catches my eye could be a dip rock or tree I stop get have a look and bang you ping a bit I call that luck and you still need it when out detecting cheers Muk.

I have watched a few gold prospecting videos on youtube, and while they are enjoyable, some send up red flags in the way they cut away just before they find a nugget then cut back in to show them digging out a nugget, almost as if they are trying to legitimize a nugget they may have not found in that area. Some videos require you to be pretty gullible.

Eventually all the detectable gold will be out of reach from even the best detector and coil.
It will be then that the surface skimming detectorist will have to become a real prospector and dig for it..

Frankdonovan121 said:
I have watched a few gold prospecting videos on youtube, and while they are enjoyable, some send up red flags in the way they cut away just before they find a nugget then cut back in to show them digging out a nugget, almost as if they are trying to legitimize a nugget they may have not found in that area. Some videos require you to be pretty gullible.

Yes i thought that.
One of the most popular you tube Prospectors in Australia, his first video of finding a nugget in a creek with a detector? I had a Police Body language expert watch the clip. The nugget was totally clean, he did not get really excited by the find? The detector was not avery good one for the use etc. We are convinced the Nugget was an E-bay purchase. Watching a lot of his clips anyone with knowledge and experience would ????????? Boy has he sucked in the subscribers.

we have gold machinery claims and I watch them come and go in the area every year people turn up with all good hopes and get shot to pieces by the end of season so many claims are bought and sold 2-3 times a year.
have seen them make videos and not dig up a thing then they ask for a couple of nuggets couple of days later they are all over you tube with their finds I wouldn't take most prospecting shows or you tube to serious

You can research and make all the preparations in the world, but if the gold isn't there, then it's not there.

Anyways.... this was meant to be more of a realisation for those that do everything right and still come up empty handed.
It is not all bad, its persistence, and that's what lowers the odds. Increases your luck in finding some.

Its to let them know that they probably just didn't walk over a detectable piece of gold.

And if you think it has nothing to do with luck, tell all the miners in the past that have watched others beside them pull out riches whilst they worked as hard and got nothing. No luck hey?????

OK

I find it hard to break it up into percentages.
I believe effort is inclusive of research, not a separate thing. Luck only comes into it when you don't put in the effort

G'day

Finding gold is largely about time spent on the ground, and research is the key to getting you in the right place, because no matter how much time you spend on the ground with your detector if you are not in an area that has produced detectable gold then you are just wasting your time, if you are using other methods such as loaming or rock sampling to look for it then that could be another story, for the beginner the obvious places to start are where you know from your research that nuggets have been found in the past, this also gives you insight in to what you should be looking for and over a period of time you will be able to better recognize ground that has the right look, but even then a place can look amazing and produce little or nothing, some of the best gold I have found was in areas that looked pretty average, so it primarily a case of suck and see, and that's where the time on the ground comes in and you simply just have to do the legwork.

As said before its all about learning and looking, reading the ground and looking at the vegetation and terrain, also after a time you will sometimes just get the feeling that the place will produce some gold so you will feel more confident that you should spend more time there, sometimes you will get on to some gold and sometimes not, but the reality is that for the majority of your time spent on the ground you will get zip, and then just as easily you could walk on to a good patch or decent nugget, in the end perseverance and legwork will win out but you just have to be prepared to give it whatever time it takes.

cheers

stayyerAU

Dear Person who cant find gold,

Im "Lucky" that you believe that "Luck" even exists!

If the statements below live in your belief system (head) you are exactly an example of why I continually find gold on a regular basis and you don't.

• Flogged Area[/*]
  • I cant find gold[/*]
  • I need luck to find gold[/*]
  • You just have to walk over it[/*]
  • The areas just full of rubbish[/*]

This is the exact reason that I find gold in alleged flogged areas every trip (Albeit a small time NSW player)

All the answers to success are contained within the forum. (And advice is continually given to the newbie, same messages over and over and over) Now if anyone cant take advice or go out and apply the advice FREELY given, in the field well I guess your "bad luck" will continue. Its taken me 5 or 6 years and just the basic advice is just starting to sink in, but hey presto its tried and true. I am a slow learner.

People underestimate the hard work put in by the "Lucky". I would dig well over 100 rubbish targets (YES DIG ALL TARGETS) for less than a gram of gold (5 tiny nuggets) some days only 1 piece but never give up and tomorrows a new day. (Best day 8.5gms). I have a supply of Voltaren and Nurofen to help me sleep at night cause I m ruined.

I turn myself inside out for $50 for gold but more importantly it proves that lazy/unlucky people are not prepared to stretch themselves to their limit. At the end of most of my days, I cannot dig another target mentally or physically. Lazy/unlucky people are soft and by that I mean, these people are made from Fairy Floss, if they went out in the rain they would dissolve! The only blister their getting in from wrestling a one eyed python.

I ve learnt and applied the advice given by many many experts on here. Absolutely awesome members far too many to name, but a few spring to mind from early on to now, Wal N Liz, Old Hand, Loamer, Goldie Rocks, Mad Tuna (NOTE: only on gold, disregard all other subjects ;) ), StayyerAU, mbasko, PhaseTech etc etc etc

My advice would be to go out and apply the advice over many many years then post your finds in the :Gold detecting finds section. VicGoldHunter take note.

If this sounds harsh well it is!!!

The worse thing you can do is "Buy a metal detector then walk around trying to find gold" You will understand what I am taking about in about 5 years. There are no shortcuts in life or Prospecting.

Man who buys Welder from Bunnings does'th not make him a Welder!!!!

RS (you can call me Lucky)

I haven't done much prospecting but i do a lot of beach detecting and same principles apply. At first i found nothing, then i learnt my machine, zeroed in on how to read a beach.
I went out for 3 hours this weekend and picked up 10 bucks to cover my fuel and a couple grams of gold plus silver.

Sure there's luck involved, but it takes time to get lucky

Swinging & digging said:
I recall been told by a member of a Victorian Detecting club, on a trip some members went to WA, and a member was spotted buying up nuggets in a shop in Kal, only to pretend to find them while out in the goldfields. People will do anything for fame?
I part with a fair bit of gold each season at the local van park, often see a bit turn up on farcebook. Even more ridiculous is seeing pictures I've posted on here or photos I've let people take in the local van park end up on their farcebook page. :lol:

A bit more on the percentage and luck thing...

"I would say 20% research, 20% equipment 20% effort , and 40% luck"

As I said previously I find it hard to break up into a percentage thing...the numbers don't add up to me.
Like anything, what you get out of it directly relates to how much effort you put into it. If I ran a business and my workers only put in 20% effort, they'd be fired quick smart. 20% effort does not equate to a productive business.

Prospecting, if you want the rewards is no different. 20% effort is fine if you're just mucking about and don't really care if you find anything or not, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. But if you want consistent rewards it requires 100% effort.

If you don't put in the effort and manage to find a bit...that's luck! But luck always runs out. If you put in the effort and find a bit, that's not luck, that's the results of the effort you have put in paying off!

You can search in a well known gold field that's been flooded by every man and dog with the best detectors on the market....And after all the research and study you find something that points you to a certain hill or gully that again has already been flogged by every man and his dog...You grid the area low and slow with all your professional knowledge and detector expertese ...And at the end of the day if you find a bit or two it's 100% luck... BUT if you've done research and fnd your own patch you maybe lucky to be the first one there. :) :Y:

Good points Madtuna. I think also a lot of people try to make the gold fit in with their lifestyle, which in a way is a bit like trying to get the stockmarket to fit in with the exact moment when you want to buy or sell. In that I mean (and I'm guilty of this at times too), detecting only where everybody else has been, or detecting only within walking distance of the car, the campsite, or driving distance from your home, or where there's a pub and shops nearby, or where there aren't ever any snakes etc. Gold is so often in inconvenient places and in recent times I can't help but keep thinking of an old story told to me once by a Turkish woman who I once worked with (I think maybe it's from the Islamic Philosopher Rumi?).

A guy comes walking into a village late in the afternoon and finds a man in the middle of the road on his hands and knees looking closely at the ground (Modern version could easily be some dude with a metal detector looking down at the ground swinging). Upon reaching the guy who is on his hands and knees the traveler asks "What are you doing?".
The guy on all fours says "I've dropped my only sewing Needle and I can't find it". The traveler gets down on his hands and knees and starts trying to help him find it also (the modern version could easily be a forum member trying to help a Newb find Gold).
After an hour or so the traveler says "OK, lets start from the beginning and try to figure this out. Exactly where were you standing when you dropped the needle?"
The now sobbing man who can't find his needle (or newb who can't find Gold) points over towards a house on the other side of the road and says "I was in the back room of that house over there when I dropped it"
Incredulous, the traveler asks "What?!! Then why are you looking for it out here in the road!?"
To which the guy who lost the needle says "Well, its too dark in there to find it".................

In a way it's a bit like seasoned members repeatedly giving newbs tips on what to do, and have them ignored.

Personally, I don't find gold either. But I'm pigheaded and love swinging huge coils, so I don't complain and I take my lumps :)

If all you prospectors dont need a bit of luck why do you still have normal jobs because you know exactly were to find gold and dont need any luck we can do all the right things and still come up empty handed but if a little luck shines on us we are very happy but some seem to think that is because our hard work and research made us find gold and that is right also but when it comes down to it if luck doesnt shine on you bad luck cheers Muk.

The topic is. Why can't I find any gold?

Using the Luck logic to answer that question.

You can't find any gold because you are unlucky,

Sell your detector and get a new hobby if you truly can't find gold because you believe luck really actually is a tangible thing that plays a big part.

If I found a gold nugget in my backyard in Newcastle that would be lucky!!!

There's no luck what detector you buy. There's no luck in having time off work to prospect. There's no luck which way you turn from your house when you leave to go prospecting.

You buy a good detector, you drive to a goldfield and detect. I would call that good planning not luck.

Rs

G'day

If you think luck does not play a part in finding gold then you would be wrong in some instances, I have known several people that I would consider to be "tin ass" lucky, well a lot luckier than me that's for sure if you talked about the effort they would contribute compared what I would put in, I am talking about the person that is lazy and has a limited knowledge of where gold comes from and even how their detector works and still they will walk over the same ground as me and bag a good nugget, like the newbie that stepped out on to the ground balanced his detector and walked straight on to a 7 ouncer within pissing distance of the car, and not another piece was found in that spot?

If you are like me you will make your own luck, you have to be dogged in your approach to finding gold and put in the time and effort, I don't call it lucky when I find gold with my detector mainly because I know that I have earned it by the time I have spent swinging the thing, I would call it lucky when I have eyeballed a 1 oz sun baker like I did year before last in a goat track, there's a bit of both determination and luck involved in getting gold, but mainly determination and effort.

But at the end of the day if you have the wrong attitude and mindset at the outset then you are already working against yourself, its a very hard thing to keep from becoming despondent when you are putting in the time on the ground but still coming up empty handed, this can and does happen to all of us at times but I would have to say that primarily its the ability to just keep you mind focused on the looking that will make a prospector successful, and to have confidence of knowing that if the gold is there you will find it regardless of the time you spend searching, if you can do this and enjoy the experience in the process then at some point you will do ok, if you cant then perhaps this game is not for you.

cheers

stayyerAU

Great post stayyerAu,

Just from my personal experience Iuck has played no part in any of my gold finds.

I go to the goldfields with my detector. I move objects that other people are too lazy to move. I go slower than most. I scrape the coil on the ground. I rake. I grid, I walk up and back in 1 metre increments. When I get mentally dispondant with no gold finds, I look around and my inner voice says "There must be gold here, these blokes weren't out here cause they liked digging holes" But like you I couldn't win a meat tray raffle!

If I went to the local cricket oval, 300kms from the nearest known goldfields with a broom stick and it beeped and I pulled a 2 Grammer. I m a convert for Luck!!!

I think of it as a game of "chance". Anyone with a detector in hand on known gold areas has a "ticket"

If you have a bought ticket in lotto or raffle you have a "chance" of winning. You don't need a mystical power called luck.

We all call them lucky (myself included) after they win. But like finding gold they don't need luck to win because they have a chance/ticket.

If I won Powerball 30 million without a ticket, yep that's lucky!!!

I guess much like Holden or Ford, Luck or Chance not much between them. I'm on the Chance train.

Sometimes I say to my wife am I going to get Lucky tonight? She say no. This is why I am truly not a believer in Luck.

Summary: You have to do a bit of hard work to get Lucky.

Great topic, really got me thinking.

PS. I m neither right or wrong but the newbie is going to really confused now!!!!!!

RS

Retirement Stone said:
Dear Person who cant find gold,

Im "Lucky" that you believe that "Luck" even exists!

If the statements below live in your belief system (head) you are exactly an example of why I continually find gold on a regular basis and you don't.

• Flogged Area[/*]
  • I cant find gold[/*]
  • I need luck to find gold[/*]
  • You just have to walk over it[/*]
  • The areas just full of rubbish[/*]

This is the exact reason that I find gold in alleged flogged areas every trip (Albeit a small time NSW player)

All the answers to success are contained within the forum. (And advice is continually given to the newbie, same messages over and over and over) Now if anyone cant take advice or go out and apply the advice FREELY given, in the field well I guess your "bad luck" will continue. Its taken me 5 or 6 years and just the basic advice is just starting to sink in, but hey presto its tried and true. I am a slow learner.

People underestimate the hard work put in by the "Lucky". I would dig well over 100 rubbish targets (YES DIG ALL TARGETS) for less than a gram of gold (5 tiny nuggets) some days only 1 piece but never give up and tomorrows a new day. (Best day 8.5gms). I have a supply of Voltaren and Nurofen to help me sleep at night cause I m ruined.

I turn myself inside out for $50 for gold but more importantly it proves that lazy/unlucky people are not prepared to stretch themselves to their limit. At the end of most of my days, I cannot dig another target mentally or physically. Lazy/unlucky people are soft and by that I mean, these people are made from Fairy Floss, if they went out in the rain they would dissolve! The only blister their getting in from wrestling a one eyed python.

I ve learnt and applied the advice given by many many experts on here. Absolutely awesome members far too many to name, but a few spring to mind from early on to now, Wal N Liz, Old Hand, Loamer, Goldie Rocks, Mad Tuna (NOTE: only on gold, disregard all other subjects ;) ), StayyerAU, mbasko, PhaseTech etc etc etc

My advice would be to go out and apply the advice over many many years then post your finds in the :Gold detecting finds section. VicGoldHunter take note.

If this sounds harsh well it is!!!

The worse thing you can do is "Buy a metal detector then walk around trying to find gold" You will understand what I am taking about in about 5 years. There are no shortcuts in life or Prospecting.

Man who buys Welder from Bunnings does'th not make him a Welder!!!!

RS (you can call me Lucky)

AMEn

Re (Why have I not found gold yet? Because you probably have not walked over it yet.)

In the late 80's or 90's I believed the above, day after day no gold, similar to other members in our group, but one guy, we called him "Gold finger" found gold everyday, this was in Dunnolly Vic, I think he could find gold with a burnt stick. But he was crippled with arthritis, so detected very slow, and the rest of us........ From memory on the third day of this happening, I realised I was walking over gold and not hearing in.

So if you have a mate, with the same machine/ same settings/same location and finds gold, what is he/she doing different.

Latest posts