Quick track button replacement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all, I'm currently replacing a quick trak button on my GPX 4500, original model, & bought a new button from Jaycar. After stripping down the wiring from my old button I find there are four wires on the loom which connect to two points on the button, being yellow,black,white,blue. I was sure I had them spliced correctly, however! it seems I'm not as clever as I thought. I have yellow/black, & whire/blue but nothing happens when I push the button on tracking. Could someone please put me out of my misery?? Dave

Dave have you tried to google it and see what turns up, it is possible to replace the button but lucky for me I have never had to do one regards john :Y:

just had a look around and found this For future reference, looks like Black and Yellow are paired as are White and Blue.
Thanks again for your help Mick.
that's what you have ,if you can contact the mechanic Mick he may be able to help regards john

Ah, it seems I have trodden on some toes already! OK I'm 71 yrs young & started detecting about 10 yrs ago after I returned home from a caravanning trip around Aus & thought there must be something else to lure me outdoors other than fishing. Bought a 4500 & ventured into the triangle to try my luck, only to find that finding gold was more difficult than anticipated. My wife & I area team, I detect, she carries the gear, it's not what I wanted but she insists she doesn't want a detector! Good fortune smiles on us intermittantly & our travels now include most gold fields in Aus. We are based in melbourne, & was a member of another detecting forum which was helpfull until I lost my credentials & was unable to contact anybody to ask for a re-admittance, so here I am. Enough of the preamble. I have tried to google the wiring sequence but am unable to get an answer so I have joined P A in the hope of help & friendly co-operation & along the way hope to glean some advise & tips I haven't learned. My apologies to those who thought I was rude, it's not my style. :) So, do I go spend $130 or can my $4.95 moment switch do the job providing I can get the wiring sequence right? Dave O:)

Hi Ol'Codger,
Is the new switch momentary action? And..
Does it have only 2 terminals?

BTW - You'll love this forum. You'll notice that notwithstanding HoudiniHarry's little dig he nevertheless researched the topic and provided a nice link.
Very helpful and knowledgable bunch of fossickers!
Brian

19.3 yes its momentary & yes it has only two terminals. All good lads, been a viewer for a long while & find lots of interesting stuff. Maybe I just doogie around, how hard can it be? Four wires into two terminals,hmm- that's -hmm- I failed maths!! It's an old handle after I bought a new one but hate to throw things away. D :perfect:

Dave, From a relative newcomer ol'codger also I have found it easy to stand on someone's toes here, either by something you say or by something that you did not say, but could be implied when read in a different context to what it was written, but so far it has been worth the effort. If you are unable to find what you are looking for I will have a look and see how hard it would be to get my 4500 apart and have a look at the wiring, just let me know if you want that.

Graham

Make sure that you have turned off "Fixed Tracking " then press the button and you should hear a click and again when you release it.

If you have wired it as discussed above it should be working.

Dave, I just pulled the button out of the handle, but it is a totally sealed unit and at this point all is/was working OK on mine, so I am unable tell what wires go where, sorry I could not be of more assistance.

Graham

If someone has a 4500 or 5000 handy, you could check which pins activate on the plug using a multimeter.
Unfortunately mine is packed in my van and ready to travel.

Fella's, thanks for all your input. Saturday morning brings new hope!! I'l get the sucker going. Dave ;)

I don't know what is inside the unit - in which case I would be reluctant to test the unit by swapping wires around until one combination works - in case it has an adverse effect or damages something. Maybe you have a faulty switch?

You could test - either with a multimeter or by shorting the wires together momentarily as suggested as a short term fix in the field in the link above.

As Bob has suggested - maybe it is something else - such as a setting?

Another really longshot - have you soldered the wires together and onto the terminals - in the combinations mentioned above? (The reason I ask - and please don't be offended - but my brother in law many years ago asked me to take a look at an old transistor radio he had repaired by gluing the speaker wires back on using Tarzans Grip - true story.

Good Luck....

BigWave said:
If someone has a 4500 or 5000 handy, you could check which pins activate on the plug using a multimeter.
Unfortunately mine is packed in my van and ready to travel.

My 4500 just so happens to be disassembled.
I did a quick check on the 3 pin plug that goes into the machine. The only terminals used are the last 2 if you count clockwise from the locator notch, the first does nothing.
Here is a picture to show.
My guess is they used a double pole single throw switch for whatever reason, price, size, redundancy, etc hence the 4 sets of wires going to 2 pins. So long as you connect the 2 terminals of your new switch to one or both pairs of wires leading to the separate pins on the plug you should be good to go. Double check your new switch is right type as well. I made that mistake before and just grabbed some push buttons off the shelf and spent a day trying to work out why they behaved weird until I realized they were the normally closed type!
1560609615_4500_button_s.jpg

Jaycar " SPO 656" black button they have in red as well ,

joined and soldered the black / yellow together , joined and soldered blue / white wires together soldered them onto each of the terminals , take nut off and fit into handle with black silastic let dry works well thats how i did mine today .

need to pull old quick trak button/ switch out ,

Works for me ! only making suggestions how i fixed mine ,

Latest posts