GP Extreme Ground Balance Button-How to guide.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day guys, Why not use the propper 3 pin connectors Minelab use on the gpx?
Sure for your own purposes, as you are handy with a soldering iron the headphone type sockets will be sufficient, but what if you sell your detector to someone who has no soldering skills whatsoever? At least if the correct 3 pin plug is used, they can just go to a detector shop and buy a new handle if the old one breaks..

Wires go to pins 2(gnd or 5+) and 3(GB control wire).
I don't remember which wires are what, but on the gb tracking switch, there will be one wire that goes to other switches as well. Connect this wire to pin 2 and on your cable side connect the cable shield to pin 2.
You can probably also get these from RS components which have a lower min order $$.
Not exactly on the cheap side, but they are quality ;)
http://au.element14.com/binder/09-9748-70-03/circular-receptacle-3-way-cable/dp/1122804?ost=1122804
http://au.element14.com/binder/09-9...-3-way/dp/1122806?MER=MER-L52-L5IB-PD-ACC-CNN

I used a mono plug and socket because its easy to wire up and the total cost of my mod was the equivalent to just the plug and socket you mention. And I can take it out if/when I ever sell it and sell it as unmodified, as I havent altered the face-plates at all. And if the handle breaks I can still buy a standard one from minelab.
Thanks for putting the ideas here, as I'm sure someone will experiment with it.

Cheers,
Paul

paul_mac1 said:
I used a mono plug and socket because its easy to wire up and the total cost of my mod was the equivalent to just the plug and socket you mention. And I can take it out if/when I ever sell it and sell it as unmodified, as I havent altered the face-plates at all. And if the handle breaks I can still buy a standard one from minelab.
Thanks for putting the ideas here, as I'm sure someone will experiment with it.

Cheers,
Paul

No problems Paul, as I said for those who are handy with a soldering iron, the headphone plug is fine and if you intend to sell it without the plug, then of coarse you will choose the option you have. But for those who opt to make the plug a permanent fixture, it is well worth considering using the genuine type plug as it will be more attractive to perspective buyers(down the track if ever deciding to sell) as they don't have to worry about the plug wiring etc if they ever needed to replace the handle. Just putting the option out there as the genuine type plugs are hard to find if you don't know...

And for those who do decide to drill into endcap to permanently install a plug, you want to go on the right hand side of the coil plug(look at some pictures of the gpx detectors) toward the top to keep it out of the road of the coil plug when changing coils. If you attempt to put it in this position but on the left side of the plug, there is a rib inside the detector case that will interfere, so put it on the right.

Click it in for ground balancing or for Tracking mode and again (out) for fixed mode. So pump the coil and press button in, when the change in threshold stops press it again (out) to hold the gb setting.

hope this helps.
cheers,
Paul

Will try that Paul
But my point is the button doesn't click in any way
So I hold it in then and ground balance
The let go and it s in fixed
I thought the button once pushed locks in and the when push again come out

Not sure we are on the same page Paul.
A momentary button only engages whilst you depress it.
It disengages when you take your finger off.
Just like later minelabs.

If you use a "momentary" button instead of the switch the detector stays in fixed unless you hold down the tracking button
if you use a "on / off" button instead of the switch you can't tell if you are in fixed or tracking ,(apart from the behaviour of the detector )
thanks Brett

If the switch is pressed in its in tracking, if the switch is out its in fixed, whats so difficult about that?

Thanks for the input fellas. Definably going to give this one a go. it should make life easier.

Cheers,
Brett

Hi Brett. It certainly does make life easier.
Keep us informed on how you go.
cheers,
Paul

The few I converted I left the original switch and just used a push button that way the switch was there if the button did not work,you should notice the ground balance working regards john :)

Latest posts