Trailer Axles

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went up the Peninsular Development Rd to the tip of Cape York last year with my van, and saw many vans and trailers with rooted back axles (I think mostly U-Bolts on leaf springs) - some already on RACQ trucks going South, and some just waiting beside the road with fully separated axles (back down the road a ways).
Corrugations are certainly the killer - I had to screw cupboard doors back on in the van most nights, and I had the tyres dropped to ~1.4Bar - going slow.

Cheers everyone, I appreciate the replys.

Redfin, your right on the money, that's the decision I'm trying to make. do i buy a trailer or do i not buy a trailer, do i eat or do i starve with complete satisfaction knowing i can carry fuel and water. Like i said, this is off road on a budget.

All good guys, im going to sit down, have a cuppa and re-evaluate.

Goldchaser1 said:
Axle will prob be ok if ya dont load it up,if its got slipper springs thats more of a concern on corragations,there cheap,grab a spare pair or look for a trailer with eye to eye springs.....

Usual issue with slipper springs is the slipper mount.. Usually made from 1.5-2mm RHS with one side cut out.. That is the main failure I have seen many times...

I would be looking at a minimum, eye to eye mounting.... A spare set of slipper springs won't get you out of trouble when the mounts are stuffed.... Another point to note is when you buy your trailer, if there are welds across the drawbar.... Don't buy it.... Look for no Horizontal Welds, Vertical welds across the bar are far superior...
1560491114_images.jpg

LW.....

LoneWolf said:
Goldchaser1 said:
Axle will prob be ok if ya dont load it up,if its got slipper springs thats more of a concern on corragations,there cheap,grab a spare pair or look for a trailer with eye to eye springs.....

Usual issue with slipper springs is the slipper mount.. Usually made from 1.5-2mm RHS with one side cut out.. That is the main failure I have seen many times...

I would be looking at a minimum, eye to eye mounting.... A spare set of slipper springs won't get you out of trouble when the mounts are stuffed....

LW.....

yes LW not designed for outback roads,only a matter of time with them setups......

Is it a new trailer? Some old trailers where hollow.solid is the new reg.
Put 2 extra nylocs nuts on the U bolts with a bit of anti seize, , this protects the thread from damage, and cut of the excess bellow them.
And as dead said, check those bearings out. Clean the hubs out 100%. Holden hubs need to packed fully with grease. Yeah, I've seen many slipper spring set ups cut the side walls aout with friction.
5mm box is the minimum, and grease them.

madtuna said:
Ded Driver said:
It really is good to see the camaraderie, friendship, & PA family support on this forum for fellow prospectors
you're all a good bunch of people
:100:% awesome :Y:
yep and I'm cute too!
Oh, also, Madtuna is ok too ... but probably not cute :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts