Looking for an SUV that can handle corrugated roads.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been looking at SUV's for travel to the WA goldfields, preferably 4x4 or AWD's, my budget is around $7000, has to be manual and unleaded. My main concern is corrugated roads and reliability, I remember my previous trip to WA where corrugated roads were a problem, ground clearance not as much.

Strictly speaking, it doesn't have to be an SUV. Not sure what model/mileage to go for, I've been researching foresters, thinking about nissans and mitsubishi as well. Any recommendations?

I've been looking at SUV's for travel to the WA goldfields, preferably 4x4 or AWD's, my budget is around $7000, has to be manual and unleaded. My main concern is corrugated roads and reliability, I remember my previous trip to WA where corrugated roads were a problem, ground clearance not as much.

Strictly speaking, it doesn't have to be an SUV. Not sure what model/mileage to go for, I've been researching foresters, thinking about nissans and mitsubishi as well. Any recommendations?
Triton 3.2 had two of them reliable go any we’re

For $7k you're not going to get anything flash! 😉 There are a lot of vehicles out there that haven't done anything harder than the school run. Make sure you get something that has been well serviced. At that budget, you're looking at vehicles with probably upwards of 250,000 klms. Not a big issue provided the services have been done. As long as you're aware of your ground clearance, it's amazing the places you can get to in a 2wd car. Check the suspension components thoroughly, they will take most of the pounding over corrugations. Most of the Japanese brands will still be ok at that mileage. Early Land Rover Discovery models are reasonable, but you're really into enthusiast territory there, and almost all the early petrol ones were V8s, and they do like a drink!
Hope that helps a bit. Have fun!

Last edited:

Prado 150 has a rubber mounted cabin - unlikely to get one for the money you're quoting, not sure if the earlier 120 series have Rubber Body Mounts.
The Prado is definitely a bit easier on the ride but corrugations are still a problem.

Quite simple, just drive slowly over corrugations. Take your time and any car will get through with no troubles.

Latest posts