Pulse Induction On A Budget?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kicksome said:
Hi everyone i'm not sure if this is in the right section but im looking for a bit of guidance. I'm new to gold detecting and am quite enjoying it - I purchased a 2nd hand White's GMT goldmaster VLF machine for cheap just to make sure that I enjoy the hobby before making the big jump into a hefty priced PI machine. Now my predicament is; I'm finding the VLF very frustrating in the highly mineralized ground where I live (Bendigo VIC) It's very chatty and i'm finding it hard to distinguish between hot/cold rocks and actual targets. Most who I have talked to suggest going PI. So therefore I'm considering selling my GMT and buying a cheap PI unit. But with having 2 small kids and a mortgage and all that garbage I am on a rather tight budget. I wouldn't mind getting some more expert opinions on a good cheap PI machine that I could purchase. I would like something rather user friendly, and like I said, the more budget friendly the better :)
So far from my little bit of research, I've come across a few of these which seem to be in my price range. (2nd hand)

Whites TDI pro
Minelab sd 2000/2100 (No auto ground balance?)
Minelab GP Extreme

possibly QED if I could stretch it. But maybe not so user friendly?

If you had to pick one of these, which way would you go? All opinions welcome!
Thanks again

Gday

You would be better sticking with the minelabs, the better of the three models you mention would be the gp extreme, the sd2000 and sd2100 are still capable detectors and good on deeper gold but the extreme is definitely more sensitive to small gold and has good depth as well, I had an extreme for many years and found lots of gold with it, I have seen them go for as little as $700 to $1200 and thats good bang for your buck.

As you are new to the game you want a straight forward and easy to use detector, some of the modded detectors like the F1A4 work well but you really have to have a fair bit of detector using experience to get the best out of them, cant comment on the Qed, have seen many for sale though, also the Whites Tdi pro, the minelabs are Australian made for our conditions and handle the mineralised soils here very well.

The up side of the minelab extreme and sd models is that you can get lots of second hand accessories for them, including li-ion battery systems and boosters, coils , dvd's on how to use them and so on, adding to your arsenal is easy and relatively cheap, don't be concerned about them being faked as the only fakes started with the gpx4500 and later models, the early models are all safe to buy but obviously buying from a dealer or something that you can see working is the way to go.

From experience if I had to go back to an earlier model detector or wanted something to carry as a spare or back up machine I would be looking for a Gp extreme for sure, if you can later stretch your budget two other option that you can get in the $2000 to $2700 range is either the gpx4500 or the sdc2300, the sdc being the less complicated of the two machines to operate, but both are very good value for the money.

cheers

stayyerAU

Aussiedigs said:
kicksome said:
awesome thanks for the replies so far everyone. It's giving me something to think about. If I can stretch my budget a little the QED does look rather appetizing. But even hitting the ground with an old sd 2000/2100 does sound fine to me. with the older minelabs does not having an auto ground balance become annoying at all? or just means you need to balance every so often?

Keep in mind, Auto Ground Balance is not auto tracking

.... however, both are ground balancing the detector.

Muk said:
Gday kicksome there was a gp extreme and a sd2000 in Bendigo cash converters last time I was in there not sure of price but worth checking out and you can haggle over price they also give some warranty 90days I think?im back in town on 30/6/19 if your keen we can go out with my sdc and any targets I pick up you can run your whites over to see if it gets it let me know and we can sort out a session cheers Muk.

Awesome thanks for the offer Muk, I might end up taking you up on that offer. It never even crossed my mind to see if cash converters had any detectors. Gave them a quick buzz and they have a minelab GP Extreme for $1490 - not the best price but it would save me mucking around with someone on gumtree and at least I would get some form of 90 warranty with it. Thing is if I traded in my GMT they would absolutely shaft me on a trade in price. It's got me thinking though because a GP extreme would last me a long time and would do the trick really well.

StayyerAU said:
kicksome said:
Hi everyone i'm not sure if this is in the right section but im looking for a bit of guidance. I'm new to gold detecting and am quite enjoying it - I purchased a 2nd hand White's GMT goldmaster VLF machine for cheap just to make sure that I enjoy the hobby before making the big jump into a hefty priced PI machine. Now my predicament is; I'm finding the VLF very frustrating in the highly mineralized ground where I live (Bendigo VIC) It's very chatty and i'm finding it hard to distinguish between hot/cold rocks and actual targets. Most who I have talked to suggest going PI. So therefore I'm considering selling my GMT and buying a cheap PI unit. But with having 2 small kids and a mortgage and all that garbage I am on a rather tight budget. I wouldn't mind getting some more expert opinions on a good cheap PI machine that I could purchase. I would like something rather user friendly, and like I said, the more budget friendly the better :)
So far from my little bit of research, I've come across a few of these which seem to be in my price range. (2nd hand)

Whites TDI pro
Minelab sd 2000/2100 (No auto ground balance?)
Minelab GP Extreme

possibly QED if I could stretch it. But maybe not so user friendly?

If you had to pick one of these, which way would you go? All opinions welcome!
Thanks again

Gday

You would be better sticking with the minelabs, the better of the three models you mention would be the gp extreme, the sd2000 and sd2100 are still capable detectors and good on deeper gold but the extreme is definitely more sensitive to small gold and has good depth as well, I had an extreme for many years and found lots of gold with it, I have seen them go for as little as $700 to $1200 and thats good bang for your buck.

As you are new to the game you want a straight forward and easy to use detector, some of the modded detectors like the F1A4 work well but you really have to have a fair bit of detector using experience to get the best out of them, cant comment on the Qed, have seen many for sale though, also the Whites Tdi pro, the minelabs are Australian made for our conditions and handle the mineralised soils here very well.

The up side of the minelab extreme and sd models is that you can get lots of second hand accessories for them, including li-ion battery systems and boosters, coils , dvd's on how to use them and so on, adding to your arsenal is easy and relatively cheap, don't be concerned about them being faked as the only fakes started with the gpx4500 and later models, the early models are all safe to buy but obviously buying from a dealer or something that you can see working is the way to go.

From experience if I had to go back to an earlier model detector or wanted something to carry as a spare or back up machine I would be looking for a Gp extreme for sure, if you can later stretch your budget two other option that you can get in the $2000 to $2700 range is either the gpx4500 or the sdc2300, the sdc being the less complicated of the two machines to operate, but both are very good value for the money.

cheers

stayyerAU

Thanks for the write up Stayyer :Y: im starting to sway towards getting a GP extreme, I think that would really fit the bill nicely for me. In my previous post just above I can get one from a pawn shop for $1490, bit more than I was willing to pay but it would be easier than dealing online with someone.
Now i'll just have to lie to the wife and say its no that much :)

I know a bloke who won't use anything other than his GP Extreme and does well, there are a few people who prefer analogue machines over anything else. Have you talked with retailers, Phase Technical (Phasetech) Maldon Gold Centre and discussed an extended LayBuy option or Miners Den, Central West Prospecting Supplies or any of the others it might give you a better option and allow you to buy new or a near new trade in. It doesn't matter if their interstate as retailers they'll be happy to work with you if they can help you with options so worth your time to explore at a minimum to find out if it is an option.

RM Outback said:
I know a bloke who won't use anything other than his GP Extreme and does well, there are a few people who prefer analogue machines over anything else. Have you talked with retailers, Phase Technical (Phasetech) Maldon Gold Centre and discussed an extended LayBuy option or Miners Den, Central West Prospecting Supplies or any of the others it might give you a better option and allow you to buy new or a near new trade in. It doesn't matter if their interstate as retailers they'll be happy to work with you if they can help you with options so worth your time to explore at a minimum to find out if it is an option.

Hi there no I haven't been in contact with anyone from the Maldon gold centre, I actually thought he was closing down?
But he might be worth a call. I'm starting to lean towards going with the GP Extreme atm - just trying to read as much info on it as I can before I go look at it on tuesday. Some contradicting views though, some say its easy to get used to and some say its rather difficult. Youtube isnt showing up a hell of a lot for it either.

This should make it easier for you.

https://outbackprospector.com.au/jonathan-porter-outback-prospector-gold-metal-detecting-gp3000-dvd/

1560052395_capture.jpg

GP extreme was launched in 2000 but youtube wasn't launched until 2005...that's probably why there's so few GP extreme videos there.

In 2005 the GP3000 was discontinued to be replaced by the GP3500 in 2006

Thanks Redfin i'll be ordering that if i end up buying the extreme.
Yeah makes it a bit hard when there is not a heap of videos of it, but oh well.
By all reports it seems a good detector though

I actually called them a couple days ago lordo and they didn't have anything. Maybe I'll try again

kicksome said:
I actually called them a couple days ago lordo and they didn't have anything. Maybe I'll try again

Send a group email to the retailers and see what they come up with. If you don't have any luck ask for your name to be put on a short list if you get sorted in between just update the group to remove you from the list.

I just don't like Cash Converters or Pawn shops, they do well out of others misery and the retailers who support us deserve our support imo.

10fp said:
Gumtree has a GP Extreme in Darwin for $900
I did see that and I've sent them a message, also an SD 2100 in WA for $700, probably been flogged to death though haha

kicksome said:
pinfire opals said:
1 just bought the extreme from Gumtree 800 plus postage. A bargain I think

The one from Darwin or another one? That is rather cheap
The one from Darwin advertised for 900. They are getting postage quote for me. Sorry there will be something else this week i bet. :Y:

pinfire opals said:
kicksome said:
pinfire opals said:
1 just bought the extreme from Gumtree 800 plus postage. A bargain I think

The one from Darwin or another one? That is rather cheap
The one from Darwin advertised for 900. They are getting postage quote for me. Sorry there will be something else this week i bet. :Y:
Haha no worries she was getting me a postage quote for me too. All the best hope you like it :Y:
I'm hoping I can find something more local

Latest posts