What food would You take camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sardines, Goody. Pack in a few tins of sardies for when you cant be too bothered but just need a protein top up to keep you going, especially when youre too busy to be spending time eating, because you need to pick up all the opals youve been digging :D :D

Now that is a good idea Miss Flowerpot..

I like Sardines...

Leave me Lot's of time to pick up all them beautiful opal's...

Goody :)

I usually only camp out for three or four nights at a time so easy to keep things fresh but if you cryo vac portions it will last longer .
I do all my cooking on the camp fire keeps the dishes down , one pan one plate one knife and fork .the menu usually is. Breakfast: egg and bacon sandwiches
Lunch : salads ,tuna pasta and fruit
Snacks: bickys and vegemite , jerky, bickys and a nice cheese
Tea : Venision snags ,onions bbq sauce on bread and a bottle of wine ,usually a cheeky little Margaret river from Aldi
I always take some emergency back up tins of spaghetti, bake beens, tuna and spam , hardly ever gets opened but it tastes good when your hungry .other thing I take is lots and lots of bottled water .
I do like my food and I see no reason to deprive myself when I'm in my happy place prospecting . Got to keep the energy up .
Cheers Booney

Shortish trips like 2-3 days, even longer cryovac some meals. The wife cooks extra then bags it. Drop the bag in boiling water. The water is then used to wash the few dishes used.

A packet of Continental noodles that you add marg/butter and milk to with a can of tuna is a good one. Camping tuna mornay! Bacon n eggs of course. Baked beans and tasty cheese for the jaffle iron.

Aaaaand, your fav coffee press for REAL coffee!!!

I run a car fridge. A small tub of ice in the fridge works brilliant. Not only does the fridge run less, it helps keep food longer and there is ice for your bourbon. Oh, try Turkey sting on ice. Careful, it can be dangerous!

You can buy brilliant herb grinders from Aldi. Buy some spuds and dice them up to throw on the BBQ plate or fry pan. Sprinkle with chili and herbs (grinder). Serve with sour cream.

Roast veggies are sooo easy. Buy those aluminium trays and alum foil to put on the Barby plate or use a frypan with a lid. Cut up spuds, carrot, pumpkin, zucchini and a whole onion. Dont forget the cooking oil. Turn over occasionally between slurps of the beverage.

Simple dessert? Those self saucing puddings dropped in your hot water you used to cook your cryovacd chili concarne. Ready when you have finished eating your main. Serve with cream!

Guys/gals, on the subject of car fridges. I have bought some Waeco fridges with running issues. I bought an immaculate 50 litre with cover for $150. I fitted a $6 digital controller and now not only does it work brilliant but more efficiently. I bought a 35 litre for $50 and have fitted the same $6 controller. There are cheap fridges to be had from the likes of Facebook market place and Gumtree.

Al.

1559683087_ff82faff-d27e-47eb-9bcb-72df99a9c715.jpg

Aussiedigs, do you have any more info on the digital controller you put in the 50L Waeco. What is it, where do you get one? I have a 50L Waeco but it seems to chew a lot of power.

On the camping food, I like to make one pot meals. Rice, add can of corn (small), drain when cooked and heated through, then stir in a small tin of flavoured tuna. A good meal for one. :)

Elvin said:
Aussiedigs, do you have any more info on the digital controller you put in the 50L Waeco. What is it, where do you get one? I have a 50L Waeco but it seems to chew a lot of power.

On the camping food, I like to make one pot meals. Rice, add can of corn (small), drain when cooked and heated through, then stir in a small tin of flavoured tuna. A good meal for one. :)

Elvin,

It ssounds like you have the typical faulty thermistor.

You can fine tune the settings over what the Waeco is capable of. Also the thermistor in these is pretty hopeless.

In my 60litre i replaced the one heavy draw 100mm fan with two 120mm fans from Jaycar but they were $30 each but they only draw .08A, so it then had equev to 240mm against the original 100mm. Otherwise you can buy like 4 off ebay for just over $20 but have a little more draw. You have to keep the total draw of the controller and fan/s at no more than an amp.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220V-12...var=423933400186&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...20mm+12v+fan.TRS0&_nkw=120mm+12v+fan&_sacat=0

Bacck on the food, theese are nice for breaky. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/egg-in-a-hole-recipe-1925587

Definitely canned baked beans. I'll eat them hot, or cold straight out of the can with a spoon.
Definitely Tea, sugar, & UHT Milk. Plenty of water.
Bananas & Apples travel well.
Sandwiches for the first day in an Eski.
A few Carrots and Cucumbers, and a couple of naughty things like a couple of bags of chips.
And a stick of cabana.
Maybe a couple of cans of Smoked Kippers and Sardines too

Fine Dining just wastes detecting time :D

camel...roo...emu :D
I buy alluminium foil in the big caterers roll. Vegies and pretty much anything can be wrapped in foil and lobbed into the coals.
When you run out of fresh and have to get into the tinned veggie, just crack the lid and stick the tin in the coals. Saves washing up pots.

Latest posts