Interesting Reading

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is something a little different... I found it fascinating, reading about the condition of Bendigo (Sandhurst) back in the mid-1800's. Dear god, I couldn't imagine living there then, and working (or living) in that horrific mess... The description of it in the first part - the extent of it - and the report on page 16 of the auriferous nature of the silt, was also very interesting, and explains why they say that Bendigo is built on streets of gold - it literally is! (and makes you wonder about digging up some dirt if you can get down to that layer, and panning it!). Some of the witness statements could be amusing at times too. :D

I tried to download the pdf copy, but it was too large for this forum. Here's the link to find it.

Search: Victoria. Royal Commission Appointed to Enquire into the Best Method of Removing the Sludge From the Gold Fields.

https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/vufind/Record/46933

You can read it online.

I don't recommend reading all of it (unless you like reading this kind of report) but the parts I mentioned are well worth the read, I believe.

(And gives you a bit of insight into the possibility of why Bendigo Creek is an exempt creek for prospecting now too!) :(

one of my pet peeves. Speed signs left up on weekends where the road is clear & empty. In years (decades) gone by, the road crew would lay the signs down overnight & on weekends, but now we have to put up with this bull :poop:
I can only guess that its to account for morons that drive thru at night or on the weekend, then return on the next working day thinking its not restricted & tear thru at full speed. but that's crap anyway, as the signs would be back up & there is usually flashing amber lights & extra signs out when the crews are at work.
I also hate it when they put the signs out about 2km back from the start of works. Might be ok in a 110 zone, but ive found this in 80 zones too.

If any group carried on like that there would be outcry and rightly so. But because its 'parks victoria' and 'rangers' its meant to be ok and acceptable.

Well its not ok and its not acceptable.

This is a potential nuclear bomb for the tourist industry!...sure hope they can find a resolution to this problem. Like always, there is a reluctance on the side of the polluters to admit there is a problem, and the news that the aboriginal community will not be tested is just pure bastardry...EVERYBODY should be tested as soon as possible and every effort possible should be employed to clean up this amazing place!...Sad news...Sad indeed!.

More an interesting image. But read the caption.

1544679754_47487731_10217618772566356_5015158639237791744_n.jpg

Very interesting Ken!...One might wonder how the traffic hazard combined with the revelation of toxic waste from firefighting exercises, will affect tourist numbers this year :poop: Place is slowly being destroyed...what to do???

Latest posts