Tips for gold panning

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to this panning stuff, but I'm after some tips on what to do and where to look in the creeks and what to look for? I notmally go up to reedy creek near Eldorado and a few creeks around Beechworth, I also have a river sluice that I built but I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before I take it out
Cheers

You tube is you friend on this one. But generally speaking on the inside bends or behind large boulders or obstruction in the flow. Also look for bedrock close to the surface and get to the bottom of the crevices.
tyrion

tyrion said:
You tube is you friend on this one. But generally speaking on the inside bends or behind large boulders or obstruction in the flow. Also look for bedrock close to the surface and get to the bottom of the crevices.
tyrion
Thanks mate I'll have a look on YouTube!
Cheers

Danlonie95 said:
...................................I also have a river sluice that I built ............................
Cheers

Hi Dan,

Do you have any pictures of your self built sluice?
Or any details, design sources that you would share with a total beginner?

Thanks for posting the video Black current.
I have downloaded it for viewing tonight.

I live at Bellingen, not far from Woopi! (one of my favourite coastal places).

Jim.

MikeB05 said:
Hi Jim0000,

Any gold in the Bellinger River?

cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

I have not tried to find some and have not heard any reports of historical findings in the Bellinger River.
That does not mean there is not any there, needless to say.
Your question prompts me to try some panning on the river banks. Maybe the Never Never creek - could be worth a try too.
After all, this creek starts at the foothills of the Great Divide below Dorrigo. Creeks north of Dorrigo have produced gold in former times.

Thanks,

Jim.

Hi BlueCurrant (and others).

One of the nearest places to me that has reports of gold found in former times is Coramba and Nana Glen.
Do you know in what places it is permissible to fossick (with a permit) around that area?
If so and you can advise, it might be my very first fossicking attempt.

I am going to a disposal store tomorrow to buy a pan. I already have a cheap Aldi metal detector. However, I am keen to try panning first, as it will probably be my best bet with (predominately) local alluvial gold.

Jim.

Gday Jim. All state forest around coffs is accessible but requires a permit. $27.50 online. Takes 5 min to do. Once you obtain the permit it's exploring time. Iv found gold in all creeks, some more than others. If your adventurous, there is alot of remote creeks to look at aswell that are not mentioned in historical records. The glenreagh mining office burnt down, nearly all recordes were destroyed. Most of the area was hard rock mining, iv tried to dig a few veins that showed colour, but the basalt is just to hard to dig with a pick, bar etc. So I mainly pan. I wont mention creeks on here in case some reads this post. But tallawudjah, red white and blue, star, Bucca creeks, all have enough gold to keep you interested.

Thanks for the tips Blue Currant.
I bought a pan at Coffs Disposals yesterday.
I have an Aldi detector - don't know if I will ever get into nugget country to try it out on gold though - but good for finding bottle tops on the beach!

Latest posts