Today I COOKED.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Young fella and Mum made the Chicken and Bacon pie filling.
I cooked and decirated it :D
1563614900_screenshot_2019-07-20-18-44-57.jpg

just basic.... but O M G.....yum :drooling:
1563614965_screenshot_2019-07-20-18-44-37.jpg

Fossiker said:
I'd eat that Silver! :perfect:
Mrs S likes her sweet potato blackened Fossiker.... looks burnt but tastes perfect just like that... just meat in that pie too... I think the bacon made it look a bit pinkish :p

Last couple of days I have been making Hot Dogs for the kids, we have been trialling different rolls and sausage
along with different toppings and condiments to get a good taste and texture.

You see, the kids want to earn some money, actually it is Miss 8yrs, so we have decided to do a Hot Dog stand.
SO..... after chasing Health Dpt and local Council, we are working toward her first $ Million.

:playful:

:)

I better get good insurance, in case she poisons someone. :8

So far we are at 18 Hotdogs, but I think the kids need a break from them - I DO.

when my kids were young we used to do hotdogs for dinner occasionally, with the works
fresh bread from a good local bakery
good butcher sausages, sometimes cheese sausages
fried onion
bacon
grilled cheese on top
& for a selection of condiments;
corn relish
gerkin relish
chilli relish
3 different mustards (Aust, Amercican & English)
BBQ sauce
Tomato sauce

Greenhornet_au said:
Last couple of days I have been making Hot Dogs for the kids, we have been trialling different rolls and sausage

You see, the kids want to earn some money, actually it is Miss 8yrs, so we have decided to do a Hot Dog stand.
SO..... after chasing Health Dpt and local Council, we are working toward her first $ Million.

So far we are at 18 Hotdogs, but I think the kids need a break from them - I DO.

Love to hear your thoughts on Sausages. I love a good hot dog and have tried a few snags. The Woolies Frankfurt just doesn't cut it. One of our "real" butchers makes a cheese n vegemite sausage. Very nice.

DD

Back in 2015 I posted this remiscense about the hot dog vendors that used to set up outside pubs and music venues. And who could forget disgraced prison Minister Rex Jackson who after being released from goal for selling indulgences giving prisoners early releases had a hot dog stand at Stanwell Tops?

"Back in the 1970's and 80's there used to be hot dog vendors around Sydney city, catering to drunks. They had little steel carts on wheels that were like a small rectangular wheelbarrow, and were parked by the vendors in areas with lots of pubs. The carts consisted of a water bath for the dogs, a container for buns, and a section with watered down sauce and mustard in plastic squeeze bottles. The whole thing worked on a metho burner hidden in the inside somewhere.

The vendors were pretty desperate characters, mainly denizens of boarding houses and only one step up from the homeless warbs. It was rumoured that there was a hot dog king who organised the vendors and their territories. Needless to say, their product was not exactly haute cuisine. Dogs were of the all ears and arseholes variety. One vendor I remember had a pair of tongs that were black, pitted and corroded from retrieving the dogs from the acidic water they were warmed in.

You knew you had had a big night when you bought one, and knew you had a really big night when you enjoyed it."

Primarily it started because M2 (Miss 8yrs) is really jacked off with the school canteen. She keeps getting overlooked for being served
and then she reckons that she is not getting value for money - to her credit we rarely give the girls money to spend, but they have good bank accounts.

So when she was complaining about the canteen, I told her to come up with a few idea's to find a solution.
A few days later she wanted to go into competition with the canteen and sell cheaper... :8
LOL, that was a long discussion. :/

So she is working to setting up a stall at school, there are some serious business planning ideas getting tossed around and discussions with her teacher
and in this term, with the Principle.
She is even going to put funds earned toward year 1&2 kids, like sports equipment or something, she wants the experience. :8

But she also desperately wants an IPAD too, so I suggested she earns the money and buys her own.

Some background - her academic studies have gone thru the roof, but she has some developmental issues.
Recently I gave her a bike tool kit and instructed her in bike repairs which she excelled at. Later I gave her a freebie footpath pickup bike which she repaired,
only to ask if she could sell it. (to Kato her sister as a second thought)
M2 has her fair share of issues, but she is one of those kids that could easily be taken off of the rails by someone taking advantage of her.
Good kid, good heart, but in Adult life could be on a bad path easier than on a good path. She has no fear and no thought of consequences.

All her work about the school stall, has not been forgotten and she is keen to use it to do the Hot Dog stand thing, again we are doing Market research
and planning, all the paperwork to cross T's and dot i's, making dogs to taste test for products to sell, and "location, location, location".

She will be presenting a documented business plan to the principle for the school stall.

At the same time she is working on a public food business to be able to buy an IPAD.

The Health Department and the local Council has been supportive and invited her to be on a student panel with the Library that organizes community
involvement with students and Council.

Clearly many concepts of business are out of her general understanding, but that is our job to help her by doing the yards and then teaching her
by introduction and explanation - but she has an iron grip on it and reminds me of specific's like Permits and Insurances - good on her.

Any coin in it for her to make ?
WELL funny you should ask..... been to Bunnings and just watched the sausage sizzle for 30 minutes ?

This is a privilege to be going through this with my third Daughter, she feels empowered and supported, she feels independent and confident and motivated.
All healthy things for such a young kid at 8yrs old.

Yesterday she prepared all the items to make some terrific Hot Dogs, and even the wife had two of them, 9 dogs amongst 5 people.
It was our second taste testing session.

Hey DD,

That plate is pretty nice.

Kato (14yrs) was pressed into doing the Charcoal BBQ tonight... a first for her, but she is pretty good with salads.

After removing the crusty bits it was actually pretty good !!
The black was from the fat dripping out and catching fire on the charcoal, LOL, she was upset because she thought she trashed the chook bits.

The result -

1563709978_bbq_chicken_by_kato.jpg

Ramjet said:
Greenhornet_au said:
Love to hear your thoughts on Sausages. I love a good hot dog and have tried a few snags. The Woolies Frankfurt just doesn't cut it. One of our "real" butchers makes a cheese n vegemite sausage. Very nice.
We have a great little one shop butcher in town here that makes cheese & vegemite sausages too. He calls them 'Aussie Icons' ..... so appropriate :100: :perfect:

A small amendment to the post above.

While Kato though she ruined dinner, and yes it looks BLACK, the charring was mainly due to the fat burning on the charcoal,
but the chicken bits are also coated in a preseasoned mix by Aldi.
That stuff cooks into black so fast with a little too much heat, and she didnt remember to move things around to cooler spots.

But the chicken inside it's 'insulating coat' was pretty good. ;)

Practice makes perfect, so she will try some chicken wings next. :8

GH sounds like you have a young entrepreneur on your hands, kids have such creative minds, it sound s like she is very focused on achieving her goals.
Great stuff.

Ramjet said:

RJ you are so right about those Woollies 'franks', they are a dead loss, we have been using a so called premium skinless Hot Dog from Aldi $3.50 / 6.
They can be fried, grilled or boiled, we boil them because that is the best method with a Stand and we need to refine that, and the kids need to get good at it.

Try this with a Woollies frank - boil it gently in shallow water with a couple of beef stock cubes added, take the skins off of the franks first.
You could even throw in some smoky BBQ sauce to the pot and let it simmer to infuse the flavours.
;)
Try cooking them in different powdered soup mixes if you live dangerously, not all are good in a Dog. :cool:
All ways pre-boil the water to get rid of most chemicals or even use spring water or rain water if it is clean enough.

There are a few tricks to the cooking of Dogs, you need to get flavour into them because the water leaches it out, tap water stuffs Dogs too, makes them grey in colour because of the chemicals in the water, with grilling them it chars the 'fat' so it adds flavour but they dont last long if not sold within 10min., No skin = no splitting and straight Dogs.

I have been looking around for some beef Hot Dogs as they seem to be the best, but not locally available even from gourmet suppliers,
more enquires today, but I will be trying some straight beef sausages also as a test.

We need to find a reliable and quantity supply of good quality as well as a good price Hot Dog sausages.
You cant just think cheap meat and expect to make money in my opinion, you adjust the price according to the cost of a quality product.

The rolls are a whole other thing :rolleyes: they can really make a Hot Dog awesome, and not just adding to the flavour...

My kids know how sausages are made from scratch, literally off of the bone, we make pork sausages and smallgoods with the wife's Italian parents.
That was only a few weeks ago, but they dont make a great variety and certainly not the fry pan snag versions.

Good sausages are hard to find because some makers go overboard with their concept of flavours and others based upon price. :/

Manpa said:
GH sounds like you have a young entrepreneur on your hands, kids have such creative minds, it sound s like she is very focused on achieving her goals.
Great stuff.

She is one that feels she is less than the others, so a little focus on her is a good thing, she seems to be making up with independence, for a perceived loss of ability.
A great kid and yes she has her mind set, she even wants to help buy a new house for the family, so she is sharing too, constantly displays that.

We discussed her School business plan this morning at drop off, to present next week to the Principal (have to keep it moving).

AND what I have to do for her Hot Dog stand (that was from her)

I see a little of me in her, I was only 5yrs old when I grew rock-melons and sold door to door, back in Whyalla, at 2, 5, and 10 cents, I earned and saved over $10,
but no direct goals, just for the heck of it.
A lot of money for a little kid in 1967, my sister ripped me off, parents dealt with that, then the parents borrowed the money for petrol on an outing, forgot the wallet.
LOL, I never got paid back, but it didnt bother me. Older sister yes, parents no, go figure that ?

M2, she actually has goals, so lets hope she achieves them with good planning - after that the sky is the limit or maybe not :)

M2 is also going to Normanville with me to do a camp and horse riding, M1 has been invited to share that experience. :D

Apparently I am too FAT to ride the horses. :rolleyes: , but they will have fun and doing a well supervised activity together, a nice memory for them to share together.
Me being VERY allergic to horses, I will live on Telfast and just keep smiling at them. O:)

Latest posts