Highbanker help....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey 3DDevil,

I went looking for you mate, I definitely took a wrong turn somewhere on those fire trails and ended up who knows where!

Hey Brendomac, next time you will have to follow me out. I heard that your 4WD was seen driving about LOL... How did the little river sluice go in the end?

Yeah, sounds like a great idea, we'll have to get in touch the next time either of us head out. I ended up in a dead-end at the bottom of a hill (closed gate) and had to reverse back up. Thought I'd be stuck, but somehow got myself out of there. Then I ended up following a track and it just kept going and going and going .... So neither of those were the right ones.

My little sluice went well, but I'm really thinking on what I'm going to do about a banker. The problem is finances. Unfortunately not enough gold in my sluice to pay for one!

Still, all-in-all it was a good time out there and great to meet you guys. AS5672 seemed to be going OK when I left. I'll be interested to hear how he fared too.

Hope you ended up doing OK!

NJH prospecting said:
Hi guys just seeing what your opinion is of the high bankers from gold sluice Australia
Do you have a link? i dont know anyone who makes them under that name.

NJH prospecting said:
sorry isthisgold I can't post links as off yet his web site is www. goldsluicingaustraila.com
aha found them. i dont have any experience with their equipment but from the pictures they look reasonably well thought out. I personally bought a gs16 and have customised it significantly and aside from the matting (i use vortex) my HB looks a lot like their pro one now

http://goldsluicingaustralia. com/shop/sluices-2/

I am not able to put links up yet so I have had to put a space between the link.
This is the guy from Sydney

NJH prospecting said:
Sorry mate sent it twice . Ok then I was thinking of going gs 17 gs18 Is their much you have to change ?
with regards to the sluicy gear, my experiemce has been that theyre made to a cheap price point. as a result there are many things you can tweak to improve performance. for a start i wouldnt bother with one with spray bars pre installed. the sluicy spray bars block a shovel going into the hopper to clear rocks and the way theyre attached to the hopper impedes flow.

ive made my own out of pvc with the help of someone from this forum.

imo you pretty much have to change out the marine carpet for something better. marine carpet can hold gold ok from what i hear but its fine weave makes it hard to get the fine gold back out at cleanup time.

i went to backed spaghetti mat from clark rubber to unbacked spaghetti mat from bunnings over 1mm v rib matting from clark rubber, to finally scrapping the mesh/riffles/mats and installed a vortex dream mat. dream mat has been working out fantastically so far but can be a bit pricy if youre just getting into prospecting. it also required me to lengthen my sluice box to accomodate the length of the mat.

the legs and hopper supports are too short imo on the sluicy gear, easy to cut more flat bar from bunnings to fix this.

the grizzly bars are atrocious and i hate them. i used punch plate above the hopper bed going the length of the hopper and cut off the grizzly bars.

i also extended the sides and back on the hopper to make throwing dirt at it easier.

if youre handy go with a sluicy and modify it. if you arent go with something like a gold rat or those guys you linked above.

hope this helps

Hi guys
I did ok I guess first time using a highbanker, still modifying it. I will be going back at the end of the month as I wanted to see Jess and Lou before they go back to Queensland. I had lots of help getting my highbanker working from so many people. I like to thank Jess, Bill, Bob and Dave for everything they have done for me. Hope to see you 2 again soon and others on here as well. And yes I am a lazy miner, I take it nice and easy :lol:

Thanks heaps for that isthisgold I think I will go with a sluicy and mod it as I go I spoke to a fella Mick down at Oallen yesterday he had a sluicy and couple of small things done toget going not to hard . I do really like the gold rat set ups but the price is a lot to get going Thanks a lot for your help

NJH prospecting said:
Thanks heaps for that isthisgold I think I will go with a sluicy and mod it as I go

That just makes no sense, to buy something and then modify it to get what you want. If you're going to go to all that trouble would it not be simpler to just build what you want and need?
Have a look at the WalBanker on this site. https://www. prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1115
Plenty of information there to build a superior product rather then wasting money on modifying a sluicy.

Whisp said:
NJH prospecting said:
Thanks heaps for that isthisgold I think I will go with a sluicy and mod it as I go

That just makes no sense, to buy something and then modify it to get what you want. If you're going to go to all that trouble would it not be simpler to just build what you want and need?
Have a look at the WalBanker on this site. https://www. prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1115
Plenty of information there to build a superior product rather then wasting money on modifying a sluicy.
The sluicy bankers are a decent frame to build on and getting all tge materials together for a walbanker and making one from scratch isnt to everyones ability or taste.

IsThisGold? said:
Whisp said:
NJH prospecting said:

The sluicy bankers are a decent frame to build on and getting all tge materials together for a walbanker and making one from scratch isnt to everyones ability or taste.

Sorry i have to beg to differ. The sluicy frames are not a good foundation at all. And its not about pointing the finger at a competitor its about making sure the information in this forum is true. They are very poorly bent and are cheap aluminum and held together with pop rivets. The legs are too short and every shortcut has been taken. I am not exaggerating when i tell you i have 3 to 5 sluicy customers call me every week gutted because they're losing so much gold or the hoper fell apart or the metal was so thin it bent when they dropped it. If you need a sluice channel bent up go to a fabricator and dont tell them its a gold sluice just draw what you want and ask them to bend it up. Keep it simple and ut will be less expensive. Complex bends and round edges deburring welding etc all cost time and money keep it simple.

If you dont have a pattern a walbanker is a great forward classifying option.

I got a sluicy, then some bits did fall apart, well I just fixed them, along with the leaks.
Then I learned the carpet and riffles were crap so I got miners moss and v matt as it was a small addition.
It works ok but I really wish I just got something good from the start.
If you add up the amount I spent adding spray bars and matting, for not much more I could have got a gold rat banker, so silly me went in cheap, penny wise and pound foolish.
When it gets wet again I'll either get the dream matt to add to mine or a new gold rat banker.
When you are learning something the last thing you need is not so good equipment holding you back and impeding you learning faster.

G0lddigg@ said:
IsThisGold? said:
Whisp said:
NJH prospecting said:

Sorry i have to beg to differ. The sluicy frames are not a good foundation at all. And its not about pointing the finger at a competitor its about making sure the information in this forum is true. They are very poorly bent and are cheap aluminum and held together with pop rivets. The legs are too short and every shortcut has been taken. I am not exaggerating when i tell you i have 3 to 5 sluicy customers call me every week gutted because they're losing so much gold or the hoper fell apart or the metal was so thin it bent when they dropped it. If you need a sluice channel bent up go to a fabricator and dont tell them its a gold sluice just draw what you want and ask them to bend it up. Keep it simple and ut will be less expensive. Complex bends and round edges deburring welding etc all cost time and money keep it simple.

mate theyre sluices not space shuttles.

IsThisGold? said:
G0lddigg@ said:
IsThisGold? said:
Whisp said:
NJH prospecting said:

Everything you use every day has gone through a process of engineering, suitability and sustainability for the life time of the product why should a bit of prospecting kit be any different? theres no reason for them to fall apart and have bits not fitting and wrong size holes drilled is there. Bit of engineering goes along way in making a product that lasts.

I stand by my point bad advice is bad advice you're better off getting something made than buying cheap crap that will fall apart. Im pretty sure you were complaining about your sluicy not too long ago

G0lddigg@ said:
IsThisGold? said:
G0lddigg@ said:
IsThisGold? said:
Whisp said:

Everything you use every day has gone through a process of engineering, suitability and sustainability for the life time of the product why should a bit of prospecting kit be any different? theres no reason for them to fall apart and have bits not fitting and wrong size holes drilled is there. Bit of engineering goes along way in making a product that lasts.

I stand by my point bad advice is bad advice you're better off getting something made than buying cheap crap that will fall apart. Im pretty sure you were complaining about your sluicy not too long ago
you know what, i havent got the energy for a shitfight today.

happy prospecting everybody

Latest posts