Greenhornet_au finds thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kato is always hounding me to detect, so I let her pick local spots, and we sort of compete
This is what I found amongst some other coins late in the search.

It ended up that she beat me by $2.30 !
We had about 9.00 between us for 3/4hr before dark.

Nov 4th evening at a nearby baseball field, edge of the field about 6" under.

Was a very weird tone on the Ace 250, and not consistent but dug it anyway as Kato was killing me with coin finds
and misc including toy cars.

The most cut up coin I have ever found.

My very own 30c piece. LOL

1480038309_1_dollar_cut.jpg

If you get a PM Gh it will show in the top left of the page, and say 1 NEW in yellow, you just click on that and follow your nose to the PMs.
:D

Thanks guys.

Like I said it is a weird cut, we have a 2c that is just an edge about 4mm wide and some 5c bent,
even a sixpence that had a chunk out of it ! How that happened I dont know, maybe it was unearthed by machine and hit
with a mover later or just when dug up.

Kato has a 2c and found both matching pieces, but separated by about 2m, on the Torrens River bank.

Nov 26, 4.30pm.
Pretty sure it is a pony horse shoe, nails still in it. Pit pony ?? or kids pony ?

The site has given us a lot of 1860's vintage items and Kato has found most of them so she will write them up
and I'll do the pics for her in her own thread.

The land (serveral thousand acres) was cleared for housing around 1920 and used to belong to the great grandfather
of a guy living in our street, so I have some direct access to a little history.
Was given a WW1 German Sword too.

Trove has us thinking we have located a site where there was a picnic of some affluence around 1867-ish when it was still bush,
that will be in Kato's thread write up.

A wealthy Tailor had a business at "Beehive Corner" Adelaide, he brought his staff out this way for a picnic.
We have buttons, military uniform buttons, coins and a coin with what may be a bullet hole and even a projectile from
police firearms origin of that time, pretty cool stuff.

Groove side for nails
1480158839_img_0150.jpg

Bottom with nails protruding
1480158838_img_0148.jpg

Makes you wonder if the horse shoe wasn't a lucky one from above a front door (maybe even on a cubby house) ,... just not sure if they would use steel nails on a horse shoe for the horse, but rather for a wall decoration ,.... just that all the farrier nails I've ever found have been brass and tapering to the end ,... having said that though there is always the chance their was nothing else available at the time or that iron nails were commonly used in your area Gh ,.... maybe I'm only find brass ones as the iron ones have all rusted away in my area (just my thoughts on it from direct observation). :D
Would be nice to know from some horse people if iron nails are or have been used for shoeing at all, could mean the difference in a dropped shoe or an old house site to us detectoristic minds ! 8) :/ :D

The place where this was recovered from was orchards and vineyards until 1945 ish, it was cleared from scrub around 1920, but was bush until then.
Photographs of the area in the late 1800's have pretty much just got a pub in the middle of an intersecting roads that are still existing today, just not
wide dirt roads with scrub either side and horse rails to tie up to.

The first housing was not until 1950's when it was surveyed and broken up into average 1/4 acre blocks when they were first sold and built upon.
The person I wrote about in the OP of this item has recently sold his Great Grandfathers house site that he lived next to behind it.
It is a good 300 meters from this demolished 50's house and the only other tenant on the land lived in a shed (Sword owner) near the house,
apparently the Grandfather just let him reside there, the Sword was left to his Grandfather before the old fella died.
It was a German Officers Cavalry Sword, for field use, made by Wilkinson in England probably under contract supply to the German govt.

The clincher is that Kato has been pounding the dirt in several yards with the neighbours permission, her Grand Parents live in a house in the same street
on the same side 3 doors down from the leveled house, a north to south orientation on that side.
She has found projectiles and a coin with what looks to be a large caliber hole in it on her Grandfathers land.

All the houses but one in this row are still owned by the original purchasers, and they are all Italian immigrants after WW2.
So we have a good lineage of history and living knowledge still present.
The last owner never had horses or cubby house according to the son.

Kato's research discovered the "picnic" that was written up in the Adelaide News paper of the time.
It spoke grandly about a picnic of where the employer had invited staff,family and friends and paid for it all, a very good time was had and the article
was submitted by a staff member.
The businessman owner a Tailor (his name was Taylor from England) shop at the corner of Rundle and King William Street Adelaide, an expensive site even then in the 1850's.
I would suggest that he would have possibly catered to the Governor of the day, wealthy and political, police and gentry as this position is in easy reach of
the "HUB" of these people, a very short walk from Parliament, Banking, Governors House, Police Barracks etc.

It is the artifacts that are spread across the zone of 100m of 4 house blocks that pull it together for us, may be totally wrong, but it all dates in the same 10 yrs
and the projectile was from a Snyder .577 which was SA Police issue 1860-1866 smooth bore, fly button dating same period military or police contract,
coins, coin with what looks like a bullet hole large cal.

All this makes us think we may have a horse shoe that could have been on a childs pony at the picnic, maybe a wealthy family? or entertainment for the kids?.

I have sister that has horses and watched them being Shod, never seen a brass nail used, always steel and square, but doesnt mean I am right and brass was never commonly used.
The thought is also the cost, steel was cheap then and blacksmiths would use the cheapest malleable material, brass is brittle when bent and copper too soft.
That and Clydes Dale shoes we have found had steel nails too, that was also very local.
Even new shoe nails now are steel.

So there we have our best guess as to its origin, son of the owner of the block has no recollection of the item being brought there, and coins in the footpath date back to early 1900's
as well as Decimals.

Hopefully we are lucky. :)

AW man, Kato just came home with her Mum and sisters.

She has been detecting the FP outside the empty block next to her Grand parents,
she popped a nice 1952 Penny out, a bell and what looks like a small brass knob !

Kato will write up a report tonight and I help her put it into her thread.

Bugger !! :(

YES !!!

We did a night hunt in a nearby large park, this is our first night hunt and I recommended to Kato that we look at somewhere familiar
to both of us to avoid accidents.

So we chose a familiar and productive venue, unloaded our gear and checked it.
Headlights on, and we went different ways, a radio each for comms in case of good finds or some other thing.
The park is reasonably lighted and we were there for about 3hrs - goes quick doesnt it?

Kato was checking out her usual suspect zones, while I headed for my favourite tennis courts.

Around 11.00pm we were closing up with me and she was at the other edge of the courts.

Of course I had dug up plenty of rings by that time - ring pulls that is !! I AM THE KING OF RING PULLS.
I got a smashing tone and said "that better be a big ring!" - YEP, a giant pull ring from a baby food or tuna can. LOL

A little later I had some grouped tones that rang in where Aus 2c do on the ACE250, but the depth was real deep
on pinpoint.
Went for a dig and had to go down nearly 9", but it was worth it for a penny! (love the 'plug digga')
YES !!! I called out to Kato and told her "roundness in the hole" !
She trotted over and checked it out, told me the date while I pinned the next target and dug it up, an earlier penny!
She spat the dummy at me, and then I pinned the next one and asked her to dig it, another penny!!

1949 + 1934

All this and still more really deep signals in 1sqm - our FIRST predec coin spill - woohoo!
At the depth was older ground, it was hard gravel compacted in the bottom of the hole.
Easy dig but some how we could not find the other targets when digging so I suggested we rest the patch for another hunt
and search else where for the duration.

She had found some Decs earlier and had a nice penny in hand now too, so it wasnt too hard on her and she went off to
look else where.
I wandered around and picked up 10c and a full set of keys about 6" under, wonder if the car was still in the park? LOL
Later when checking my finds both golds were in battle with a mower, cant seem to find straight ones lately.

(Having trouble posting pics, they are inverted)

Have not posted here for awhile, we have been dealing with stressful matters immediately prior to Christmas.
Thats done.

So we are getting back on track.

Kato (No.1) now has a ctx 3030 and is finding it a handful to get her head around using it.
Any help would be gratefully accepted on her behalf.

So No.3 has now been inducted into the MD fold (she wanted to do it) and is busy learning how to find - 'sinkers' and any other producing dirt I can find,
it doesnt matter what is found as long as it can be found, to encourage her to search and dig, learn the methods in different soils and
not to do damage.
She is 6yrs but does learn quick and was searching and digging herself this afternoon in the park, along side her older sister,
her kit is a Minelabs Pro pinpointer, new deteknix digger, a bum bag, and No.1's ACE 250 4" coil, I will change it back to the standard coil for more coverage.

No.2, 7yrs and I did some luckless fishing but enjoyed the arvo.

Hi Greenhornet_AU & Kato,
Being fairly new to the CTX3030, purchased it back in May 2016, I can understand Kato's situation; from experience, download the product manual and read through it as many times as required to sort out any required information on puzzling aspects of the detector. Secondly, go to the MineLab web site, there are a number of videos there that I found helpful; lastly google CTX3030 youtube tutorials, here you will find most information you require.
Something that I found both interesting and worthwhile was to keep all of my finds including junk during my early days, coin wise fill in any gaps in decimal coins, if you can get your hands on some pre-decimal coins add them to the collection and lastly try and put togrther a wide variety of jewelery.
Next step is to set the detector up so that it can't move and away from any EMI, you may need to turn the sensitivity down to get machine to run quietly, with pen and paper at hand have a family member pass each of the items over the coil and jot down the ferrus and conductivity numbers for each item, you will find this an interesting exercise and have a reference to take out detecting, over time the various F/C numbers of targets will start to become familiar as you gain experience.
The above should give you some insight into the basics of the 3030, there is a lot more to the machine that can be picked off the internet, it's a great way to get to know the 3030, hope this helps.
Cheers, SinHof.

Latest posts