Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Real name is Sam Clemens later known as Mark Twain..Your very quick Nugget lol ;)

Nugget,
Your absolutely correct.
How did you pull that one out of the hat, I felt sure it would stump everyone.
Have you read Roughing it? It's about his journey across America by stage coach to the west coast to try his hand at prospecting. It has a good description of the Comstock Load in Nevada. Interesting read.
At the moment I'm looking for a copy of The Wayward Tourist, his accounts of his trip to Australia in 1897.
Did you know he also wrote lots of articles for Aussie newspapers as well?
Anyway you got it so it's your turn.

Cheers
Mick

Hey backcreek, I don't know how to tell you this but I used my IT expertise to track down the guy in your Avatar. I don't actually know anything about Mark Twain sorry :8

What is the name given to the largest gold nugget ever found in Australia?

Not only Australia,s largest nugget but the worlds largest nugget ever recorded.

The world's largest recorded nugget is "The Welcome Stranger". The find occurred at Black Lead (or Black Reef), Bull-dog Gully, Moliagul and was broken up on an anvil at nearby Dunolly in Victoria, Australia, to be weighed in that towns bank. The finders were John Deason and Richard Oats, the find occurred on 5th February, 1869.

Different variations of the find location and ounce quantity exist. For many years the most popular ounce rating was 2,284 ounces (71.01 kilos).

However the publication "Gold Nuggets of Victoria" from the Department of mines, Melbourne, Victoria lists the price of gold at the time as four pounds, one shilling and sixpence, noting that the cheque for the nugget amounted to nine thousand, five hundred and eighty three pounds, which equals 2,380 ounces.

A reason for the discrepancy may come from the admittance by Deason and Oats that pieces were broken off the main piece. It is possible that the main entire nugget weighed 2,284 ounces and additions from the original find but not still attached accounted for the total presented to the bank. At least that's our theory. If anyone can add light to this please contact the author.

The main point is that (without splitting hairs) Deason and Oats in 1869, in Victoria found about two and a quarter thousand ounces of gold in one piece which became known as "THE WELCOME STRANGER NUGGET" and this is, as far as we know, the world's largest nugget.

Cheers
Mick

The interesting things is the word largest the welcome stranger is the heaviest single nugget but the holterman nugget is the biggest in size but it was a specie
The Holtermann Nugget, the largest specimen of gold ever found, 1.5 meters (59 inches) long, weighing 286 kg (630 pounds), in Hill End, near Bathurst,[1] and with an estimated gold content of 5000 ounces (57 kg).[3] A larger find was made by the same men, but was broken up soon after being brought to the surface without being photographed.

What the hell would YOU do if you found a monster like that? I am sure you would not be able to lift it out of the ground without help! What phone call to make, mate, can you come to the black stump, I need a hand lifting a nugget! :)

Congrats backcreek,,,, A little history about the two , In 1951 3,500 glass plate negatives were discovered in a garage in Chatswood Sydney ,these were the greatest documentation of Life on the gold fields in Australia,The uniqueness of these negatives was not only for their historic record but also the process they were made. Glass plate negatives hold great detail of the photographed subject as they can be blown up with no distortion .If You go onto the Holterman collection and select a photo of a shop You can zoom in and read the writing on the goods in the shop ,,extremely resolute and ahead of there time.

L/R

Correct, almost.
The first marriage was between William Parr and Mary MacCormick at the corner of Bligh and Hunter Streets in Sydney on 10 February 1788.

Your turn.

Latest posts