The Golden Triangle GT Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turps123 said:
Hi MJB,

Yes there is colour in the Ovens river and the Barwidgee creek, but they are on the exempt rivers and streams list.

In the early days these waterways were subject to hydraulic mining and did major damage to the area.

Yes been up the Buckland a few times ( without luck), most of the mining in that area is hard rock mining, mainly by the Chinese ( read about the Buckland Riots). Although I have seen people panning the Buckland river. I have also heard of a young lad who detected a large nugget, but that was only hearsay.

Regards

Turps123

The old exempt rivers list hey....bugger!

I heard about the Buckland River Riot too. Maybe you should head up to Beechworth for a scratch, everyone seems to do nicely there. Shame you can't get into the shafts in the hill at the south end of Myrtleford opposite Rays...they look interesting.

Cheers mate

MJB, the shaft opposite rays is the old Reform Mine, I was told this closed down because they could not stop water seepage. The pumps that they had could not handle the amount of water and the mine flooded.

Brutus and me, the Waanyarra area is very good for the odd piece, a mate of mine last Sept got a nice 40 gram nugget beside the road.

Regards

Turps

Day one of two weeks in the GT , camped on Peg Leg reef just out of Maryborough , detected for 6 hrs today , pulled about 50 lead shot and more gold today than 6 months from Jupiter Creek. Knees are stuffed , dogs are happy and I'm into a beer now so all goes well . Poor internet so hope this works , the speccie blew my ears off , great day off to Moliagul tomorrow , cheers to all.
1427175457_image.jpg

Dogs are dead set in heaven Jaros , got to love the Australian bush , SDC running as quiet as a Banshee on heat Pablo but that's
the way I like it , was able to run it on 5 today for the first time , very happy with it

Cheers

Hey mate that's awesome. The SDC will find the gold if its there.

Dogs, wife, gold, no work, livin the dream! (not in any particular order) I ll let you decide that!!!!!

Cheers

RS

Brutus goes with me everywhere, We spent last winter camped at Waanyarra.
He wanders around while I detect as there are were no baits in the area.
He gets just excited as me when I get a signal.
He runs over and watches me dig it up, he knows hes either gonna get a curse word or a rub of the belly lol
Dogs are allowed all through the gt in state forest.
Some ares do have baits out for foxes, please be aware of this. These areas should always be signposted.

Thanks for all the support , now camped at growlers reef Tarnagulla , didn't make it to Moliagul , beginners luck continues after sightseeing yesterday camped up and got 7 little bits today , decided to stay a couple of nights and just driven into Maryborough for supplies and signal to send a few messages . Anyone driving by please drop by , always a cold beer or cuppa on the go . Do envy you buggers who got into this years ago , got the fever officially now I reckon , look forward to seeing you Adrian

Cheers to all

1427344513_image.jpg
1427344576_image.jpg

Bacchus said:
Thanks for all the support , now camped at growlers reef Tarnagulla , didn't make it to Moliagul , beginners luck continues after sightseeing yesterday camped up and got 7 little bits today , decided to stay a couple of nights and just driven into Maryborough for supplies and signal to send a few messages . Anyone driving by please drop by , always a cold beer or cuppa on the go . Do envy you buggers who got into this years ago , got the fever officially now I reckon , look forward to seeing you Adrian

Cheers to all

Bloody Awesome.

Great stuff. What sort of dog is it?

Thanks for sharing.

Hey, need some help.

I am heading out to the golden triangle on the weekend to go prospecting. I am looking to hire a good metal detector. The place I am looking at has a sd 2100. Will this model be good enough?

What else should I take out? Is a "wand" required?

Where should I use as a starting point?

Thanks,

Cam

Latest posts